MIG-21 effectively the most destructive A2G aircraft?

Deathbane

Note that ive had the MIG-21 for some time, love the module, and have just started properly learning it after firstly getting back into dcs via KA 50.

Just an interesting note.. i see a vocal minority on the forums people (usually not mig pilots themselves) complaining that the MIG-21 is not effective or useful in on multiplayer servers and is too old for the job etc.

Whilst this is a bit debatable considering people like Hadwells successes, despite the age of the BIS variant, I also have another interesting take on this.

To disregard the historical accuracy or otherwise for arguments sake, if we simply consider whats available for use in DCS, would it not be that the MIG-21 fulfills a very interesting niche role as a tactical bomber considering it is the only aircraft that is currently capable of carrying nuclear weapons into combat on a fast and small airframe?

Being able to mount such weapons on a MIG 21 surely give it a destructive capability which is currently unrivaled by other aircraft as long as it can survive to delivering its payload.

Ive heard that these weapons are disabled on most servers. My question would be why, considering the MIG-21 is capable of carrying them and capable of running such strikes.

I havn't played much multiplayer but this would be interesting to consider if people are playing mixed team v team esque missions based on entirely fictitious scenarios or simply for fun factor.

Thoughts?

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

Hypothetically, yes. The Fishbed has the most destructive ground attack capability. However, I've only ever seen the nuke used for a laugh.

If I'm attacking soft targets en masse, I'll use the Fishbed. If I'm up against a number of proper AFVs or I need precision? I'll opt for Su-25 or A-10 of some form.

As for people complaining about the age of the aircraft? They don't have to use it, especially if they're incapable of putting forward the effort to become proficient with it. Flight sims aren't about balance. That said, the addition of F-5E will be very welcome. While simulations aren't about balance, it's still a nice thing to have for gameplay.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Honestly the S-24s on the fishbed are KILLER. You can do a lot of damage and GTH out of dodge before anyone can react. I love high speed deep strikes with those weapons.

The bombs are a little tricky to employ, but I also love the S-8 rockets and the cannon. The cannon is a tack driver and with some practice you can do some damage to light armor using it.

The Grom is an excellent weapon for taking out hard targets like fixed structures, or it's standard role of ship strike. Lot's of fun and challenging to use.

I think the versatility of the Bis is outstanding, and it speaks to how much of a legend the bird really was.

1. Drop S24-A
  2. Miss your target by 100m
  3. Still Have a good laugh watching them all dead with the blast. :music_whistling:

Mig-21 S-24 are one of the most deadly A/G weapon in the game. But the Su-25 can carry bigger, and laser guided S-rockets.

To me the most deadly AG plane stays the Su-25T. :thumbup:

1. Drop S24-A
  3. Still Have a good laugh watching them all dead with the blast. :music_whistling:

Mig-21 S-24 are one of the most deadly A/G weapon in the game. But the Su-25 can carry bigger, and laser guided S-rockets.

So true! 500 lb warhead = no joke!

1. Drop S24-A

Agreed, the 25T has more killing power than even the mighty A-10C I think!

I like the 2x Grom + 2x S-24 loadout if I can make two passes, the situation is more relaxed and there is enough time to play with Groms... or just full S-24 for hopefully just single pass... Since you can smash it supersonic even low at deck with those, air defences sometimes have hard time to react and keep up with you. Express delivery here, I kid you not! :D

Atomic bombs are not available on quite many servers and reason is that there are some bugs and quirks associated with them.

On a side note, I would love to have the full-blown PFM/ASM early Su-25 DCS module...

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

I like the 2x Grom + 2x S-24 loadout if I can make two passes, the situation is more relaxed and there is enough time to play with Groms... or just full S-24 for hopefully just single pass... Since you can smash it supersonic even low at deck with those, air defences sometimes have hard time to react and keep up with you. Express delivery here, I kid you not! :D

Atomic bombs are not available on quite many servers and reason is that there are some bugs and quirks associated with them.

On a side note, I would love to have the full-blown PFM/ASM early Su-25 DCS module...

Agreed. I build coop missions for friends I fly with pretty often, one time I had a mission where a bridge had to be destroyed deep behind enemy lines, and the enemy had extensive air defense, and had active CAP patrolling and SAMS. The MiG 21 with S-24s and Groms was the only bird in DCS that could get the job done! Fun mission. We rode a canyon up right to a clearing were we fired at the bridge and got the heck outa dodge!

I find that I am generally safe from manpads if I release a good burst of ASO flares when I am a few seconds away from release point with the S-24s. The high speed of attack makes AAA have a really hard time hitting you, especially if you break hard after firing the rockets. If only we had S-24s on dual pylons! THAT would be some $$$$ lol

I also agree on the SU-25 Full module. I would kill for it. I wonder if they will start making full modules of the FC3 aircraft after the F-18 and SOH has been pushed? It seems like they would have a pretty huge head start with the great models and flight models. Maybe they could even contract a 3rd party to handle one? Would be pretty awesome!

Edited by Hook47