[NO BUG]Flat shadow function on/off switched ?

P3CFE

As I remember correctly?,

Flat shadows are slightly lower quality shadows, but better performance.

But in the game when I turn on flat shadows the quality looks much better (no ruff edges ).

Is the function ' On' and ' Off' for ' flat shadows' reversed maybe ??

No reversion, that is how it should be.

Flat shadows:

- it's just a "flattening" (hence flat shadows) of the origin object shape; as such, it's simpler and by default "sharper" (no aliasing).

- but shadow is only displayed on a plan surface (ground) = no shadow on other objects (grass, other aircraft...)

- and if the object casting the shadow is outside of the view, then the shadow diseappears too

Normal shadows (flat OFF):

- uses "shadow mapping" i.e. uses a textures => that can be (and is) aliased => needs post-processing

- can be casted on any surface, even complex ones

- don't need the source object to be displayed on screen to see the shadow

spacer.png

Flying over Vegas low in the KA-50, I gained about 20 fps by turning flat shadows on.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No reversion, that is how it should be.

Flat shadows:

- it's just a "flattening" (hence flat shadows) of the origin object shape; as such, it's simpler and by default "sharper" (no aliasing).

- but shadow is only displayed on a plan surface (ground) = no shadow on other objects (grass, other aircraft...)

- and if the object casting the shadow is outside of the view, then the shadow diseappears too

Normal shadows (flat OFF):

- uses "shadow mapping" i.e. uses a textures => that can be (and is) aliased => needs post-processing

- can be casted on any surface, even complex ones

- don't need the source object to be displayed on screen to see the shadow

Tanks Azrayen..

for the very clear answer, makes sense now...

But .. then there is no Win Win situation...and now ..i want the more framerate consuming one...:(

Edited by P3CFE