VVS Roundel

StormTalon627

This game is so much fun it inspired me to do some more model planes after a very long time.

So now I am wondering if anyone knew what roundel the VVS is currently using? I have seen a new tricolor one with the blue outline on the red star, but Wikipedia says Russia went back to the Soviet Red star with white outline in 2013. Some recent pictures are too zoomed out to tell...

Any insight?

Thanks! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems to me that the latest aircraft I saw in pics have the soviet style red star, without the blue outline. Yet I would surmise that probably it's not been standardized across all the air forces, in fact I believe that many regiments did not adopt the blue outline and kept the soviet style one.

I've been a modeler since a couple of years ago, when I had to stop because I relocated to another place, although I'd love to resume that hobby(my area was more modern armored vehicles than planes, yet I made the 1:48 SU-27 kit from Academy and it 's one of the best models I ever bought).

If I had to choose, as of today, I'd pick the red outlined star, yet it depends much on your inclinations: if you are interested in having the most realistic depiction of an airplane, it would be better researching into the matter - you decide which regiment of which unit your plane belongs and then try to find out what regulations that regiment currently has (difficult but not impossible). However, you may well be simply picking out by personal taste what solution you like more.

Anyway - wish you happy modeling, if you feel posting pics of your builds, finished or in progress, would be a nice things for other modelers in this forum :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

Seems to me that the latest aircraft I saw in pics have the soviet style red star, without the blue outline. Yet I would surmise that probably it's not been standardized across all the air forces, in fact I believe that many regiments did not adopt the blue outline and kept the soviet style one.

I've been a modeler since a couple of years ago, when I had to stop because I relocated to another place, although I'd love to resume that hobby(my area was more modern armored vehicles than planes, yet I made the 1:48 SU-27 kit from Academy and it 's one of the best models I ever bought).

If I had to choose, as of today, I'd pick the red outlined star, yet it depends much on your inclinations: if you are interested in having the most realistic depiction of an airplane, it would be better researching into the matter - you decide which regiment of which unit your plane belongs and then try to find out what regulations that regiment currently has (difficult but not impossible). However, you may well be simply picking out by personal taste what solution you like more.

Anyway - wish you happy modeling, if you feel posting pics of your builds, finished or in progress, would be a nice things for other modelers in this forum :thumbup:

Thank you very much for the info and the encouragement! :) I will probably just buy some more red VVS stars (I might have a few from somewhere in my hobby drawer...hmm...) considering the outline ones are apparently out. :(

I found this link if anyone else is interested:

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/OEWatch/201307/Russia_05.html

Apparently they ditched the blue-outlined star because it broke the camouflage, which sounds ridiculous to me,of all the colors that stand out, red is definitely on the top of the list! They are also ditching the grey-blue camo and opting for regional camos... I guess that is because this is a better camouflage for 7 months out of the year, though I guess it blends in with the itty bitty small church domes in the background! :smilewink:

112296.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]