Solderless PCB mounting for pushbuttons, on-off switches etc

pappavis

Working on a MiG-21bis pit.

When it comes to soldering I have two right hands :P.

Why not have a pre-fabbed PCB which allows one plugin pushbuttons, toggle switches, potentiometers etc etc onto it?

note;

1. I am a n00b at Arduino, soldering, and learning in the go.

2. I havent designed any PCBs yet, experimenting with Sparkfun EaglePCB, Fritzing.

It would save me WEEKS of frustration if i can just have my MiG-21bis fuel pumps-thingys PCB printed, then plugin the on-off switches onto the PCB. No soldering.

I am sure sum1 has already tought of this.. and did it. But WHERE? Which supplier can create such PCBs for me? If i deliver the PCB design, WHO can create that PCB?

For example, this is my prototyping.

xaV7qYNm.jpg

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

When it comes to soldering I have two right hands .

Why not have a pre-fabbed PCB which allows one plugin pushbuttons, toggle switches, potentiometers etc etc onto it?

I might be missing your request here but something like the Leo Bodnar BU0836x sounds like what you need.

476th vFG Alumni

I think you 'll loose more time troubleshooting loose connections on cheap breadboards than it would take you to learn how to solder. Not much to it really...

Spoken for the truth there m8.

I am not sure if this is a wind-up hence I will word my reply carefully. Lets say for instance it costs 36 billion to design and build a plane. At no time in the planning and pre-production does it say, need to get some cheap boards so that we can just plug this component in. I didn't know shit about building a cockpit, now I could solder 2 buttons to a fly's arse. Take an arduino amazinly clever and compact. Oh it's got digital outputs and analogue, how can I make that switch go on/off, screw about with it until you get it right. A lot of us started in the same situation. :thumbup:

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

I am about to do some PCB's for DCS BIOS and Arduino, but mainly focusing on the output, since I will have normal lightbulbs (not LED) in the indicators (*).

Since I am also planning a MIG-21 cockpit (unless there is a Viggen announcement soon) perhaps we can work together with this.

I have designed and ordered other boards previously, like the A-10C NMSP panel (see attachment below). By the way, these are for sale if anyone want them (cause I have cancelled my plans for a Warthog cockpit).

The Leobodnar boards are great, but not for DCS BIOS. Still I will probably use it anyway, connected and configured as a normal input in parallel with the Arduino boards.

* Based on ULN2803 Darlington array circuits and/or 2N7000 N-channel MOSFETS, so I will not exceed the current limits of the Arduino.

NMSP.thumb.jpg.3cff501400407453882003039b59f35f.jpg

Edited by BravoYankee4
Adding information

Or better yet spend the time and learn to solder. It will not take much effort to reach acceptable quality of connections, probably within minutes of your first session. Good soldering iron will not set you back to much either.

One of the best "value for the money" tools I ever got is a used Weller soldering station. Not the digital one and othing fancy. But oh sooo good, absolutely love working with it. It is a very sensible investment if you plan to stick to this hobby.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

I am sure sum1 has already tought of this.. and did it. But WHERE? Which supplier can create such PCBs for me? If i deliver the PCB design, WHO can create that PCB?

Are you ready?

http://www.seeedstudio.com/service/

It is both cheaper than you think but could end up being more expensive than you realise.

When you make a mistake ... even on a small run or protoype it costs money. Let us know how you go.

I got the idea for solderless PCBs by wathcing a youtube vid, see below.

And yes soldering i did do.. but its a pain, and since I wanna build a complete cockpit its gonna take me AGES to solder everything together. I do have small protoboard, but havent used it yet. Going solderless is also kinda a way of learning myself more about the possibilities aroudn arduino.

My next project could be a solar power backup for our remote waterpump installation in South Africa.. with 3g connections etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

As for solderless after some googlin' found something like this..

F25I71GH7KZ1WD1.LARGE.jpg

That comes kinda close to what i wanna do. Except that i dont want any wires running all over the proto/PCB.

Below youtube uses seeedstudio.. and yes its expensive if u have it wrong ;).

[ame]

[/ame]

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

what is going to be huge pain is down the road hunting for that one (or few) malfunctioning solder-less connection when it will inevitably come apart. soldering is by far one of the easiest skills to learn in this hobby IMHO, it's comes down to just muscle memory. it sounds like you will be doing more electronics and soldering iron happens to be pretty much the central tool of the topic. makes sense to spend effort to improve with it. make sure your tools are clean, use flux and good flux-core solder, pre-tin your wires, keep notice of not overheating components and almost nothing can go wrong.

its up to you if you want to attach things with ducktape, but don't expect to hear it is a very good solution.

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Working on a MiG-21bis pit.

When it comes to soldering I have two right hands :P.

note;

1. I am a n00b at Arduino, soldering, and learning in the go.

2. I havent designed any PCBs yet, experimenting with Sparkfun EaglePCB, Fritzing.

It would save me WEEKS of frustration if i can just have my MiG-21bis fuel pumps-thingys PCB printed, then plugin the on-off switches onto the PCB. No soldering.

Pappavis, the best thing I can recommend is for you to learn how to solder. It is an easy skill to master and once you've learned how to solder you will never forget it. Its something that will always be there when and if you need it. To put it into perspective, its way easier to learn soldering than learning how to flying a DCS aircraft.

Two years ago I started here, much as you are now doing . I had little to no experience with soldering and when I did solder something, it was crap. I just couldn't do it. :doh: A fellow I met here on this forum introduced me to a series of YouTube videos. That was all it took. My soldering went from crap to "OMG,:shocking: Did i Do That?:clap:".

One thing about these video's, this guys voice is...well... I'll let you see (hear) for yourself. :music_whistling:

Its a multi part tutorial. Spend a bit of time watching the tutorial and also look into purchasing a good soldering station. You can't do a good job soldering if you have substandard equipment. Being able to adjust temperatures and have it stay at a set temp is rather important as you will learn in the video.

[ame]

[/ame]

Pappavis, I guarantee you, it will be time well spent.

Good luck .

John

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

There are plenty of different shields available out there, with different kind of terminals, like this one: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Screw-Shield-p-1238.html

Search for "terminal shield" or "screw shield" plus arduino.

My plan is to wait for the next version of DCS-BIOS with support for RS-485 before I design an build any interfaces. Then it will be possible to have an Arduino MEGA as master and then a lot of slave interface boards.

You can of course have a lot of Arduino boards today working in parallel with one serial connection each, but that isn't very effective.

My next project could be a solar power backup for our remote waterpump installation in South Africa.. with 3g connections etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

Your in Netherland and your solar powered 'remote' water pump is in South Africa.....that is some journey, did you duck tape the pipe together all the way from Johannesburg?

Just in case no one's mentioned this yet (cough, cough) Learn to solder!

Even milspec metal-on-metal connectors have problems. Simple wire ends stuck together will cause no end of grief. The problems won't be something as simple as a disconnected circuit, though you'll see those too. You'll experience a variety of intermittent problems. If you have enough non-soldered connections, you'll eventually see non-ohmic connections form when (usually invisible) corrosion at the connection point turns the connection into a diode like structure. Circuit malfunctions will be so weird as to define description. Frustration will set in. You'll begin to drink heavily and pull your hair out. Your sleep will be affected. Eventually you'll give up on sim building and take up Karaoke.

It will be terrible, so just learn to solder.

• Like 1

BTW, for sum1 like me with 2x righthands.. a PCB printer *WITH* pick-in-place. Just dont mind the $2999 pricetag ;)

[ame=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/botfactory/squink-the-personal-electronic-circuit-factory]Botfactory Squink[/ame].

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

pappavis, where'd you find a PCB mill with pick-and-place for $3k? That seems wildly, wildly underpriced relative to the market. An old used pick-and-place without reels can go for upwards of $5k USD, and that's just a pick-and-place that will need expensive pcb reels to operate, and no PCB mill.

Oke, so i did some soldering.

Its a chore.. too many wires :(.

I know very little of electronics, but learning on the way.

Questions;

1. Does every on-off switch need a resistor?

2. What if I add a resistor for each row of buttons, would that break something?

3. On some rows there are 3x on-off switches. If i use 1x resistor per row and 1x switch is off would that cause harm anywhere?

This is my very-first attempt, yes its really ugly..

y4YaoJKl.jpg

It should resemble this from MiG-21bis

BMLatPwm.jpg

and this wired backside WIP on a plastic floortile scraper

g9ROppfl.jpg

Any other tips appreciated.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

pappavis, where'd you find a PCB mill with pick-and-place for $3k? That seems wildly, wildly underpriced relative to the market. An old used pick-and-place without reels can go for upwards of $5k USD, and that's just a pick-and-place that will need expensive pcb reels to operate, and no PCB mill.

At the left upper corner of the video is a link... It is a kickstarter project. Do the math (and by that I mean it will probably be another vaporware gadget).

Callsign "Lion"

Pappavis, tell me a bit about that project.

- What kind of buttons/stuff do you want? Switches, pushbuttons, potentiometers? You seem to be right on track with starting with the simplest panel.

- What microcontroller do you want to use and how do you want it to communicate with your pc?

Just a quick overview so it is easier for us to help you.

Also, if you are a complete newbie with electronics, this book is very helpful. It got me through the first year at university ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Learning-Through-Discovery/dp/1680450263/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450099518&sr=1-1&keywords=make+electronics

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"

Pappavis, tell me a bit about that project.

- What kind of buttons/stuff do you want? Switches, pushbuttons, potentiometers? You seem to be right on track with starting with the simplest panel.

- What microcontroller do you want to use and how do you want it to communicate with your pc?

Just a quick overview so it is easier for us to help you.

Also, if you are a complete newbie with electronics, this book is very helpful. It got me through the first year at university ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Learning-Through-Discovery/dp/1680450263/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450099518&sr=1-1&keywords=make+electronics

I assumed Arduino, since that is indicated in the original post.