Taking off with the K4 in DCS 2.0

louisv

Very hard...

Not enough rudder to counter balance the drift to the left on take off.

I have to use right brake on take off ? Is how they took off...on the brakes ? Or is it just beta ?

Also brakes are ridiculously sensitive. While taxiing there is almost no way to use them without a prop strike at 5 knots. As if there was nothing behind the pilot.

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

I also tried taking off the BF109 in DCS 2.0, and I failed 8/10. I was struggling to get the bird off the ground, very hard indeed. Its totally different from 1.5. I had to use rudder, wheelbrake to control but it seems not enough .

Engine torque is too powerful and overpowered.

While I did succeed to take off, I agree something has changed to the worse.

Rudder alone is not sufficient to keep on track during take off anymore in 2.0.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Very hard...

Not enough rudder to counter balance the drift to the left on take off.

I have to use right brake on take off ? Is how they took off...on the brakes ? Or is it just beta ?

Also brakes are ridiculously sensitive. While taxiing there is almost no way to use them without a prop strike at 5 knots. As if there was nothing behind the pilot.

Full rudder to right and stick to back and right.

Start returning slowly in center position when the speed is around 60

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

I am having the same problem, and was forced to use right toe brake, until I remembered that this is probably the effect IRL too if trying to take off in a K4 at plus than 1,4 ATA.

Takeoff power at 1,4 ATA and it'll be a LOT easier.

Other than that, I do believe it is probably closer to reality now, and what we had before was actually tuned down a little...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Start returning slowly in center position when the speed is around 60

This is unecessary in the 109. This won't lock your tail or make your aircraft fly straighter.

EZPZ takeoff is

Prop pitch 12 o'clock

full right rudder

slowly advance the throttle to 1.2 ATA. Your engine should run no higher than 2500 RPM in this configuration

keep using rudder as needed

the aircraft will literally fly itself off the ground. I don't even trim nose up or down or use flaps.

This is unecessary in the 109. This won't lock your tail or make your aircraft fly straighter.

I don't try to lock tail, I'm doing it to stabilize the plane.

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

EZPZ takeoff is

Prop pitch 12 o'clock

full right rudder

slowly advance the throttle to 1.2 ATA. Your engine should run no higher than 2500 RPM in this configuration

the aircraft will literally fly itself off the ground. I don't even trim nose up or down or use flaps.

Have you tried to take off with fuel and bomb ? Not full throttle take off is easier, but requires more runway and time.

EZPZ takeoff is

Prop pitch 12 o'clock

full right rudder

Have you tried this one in 2.0?

Works perfect in 1.2 and 1.5, but in the Instant Action -> Take off NEVADA, in 2.0, the rudder could not hold the movement alone, I had to add brakes.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Have you tried to take off with fuel and bomb ? Not full throttle take off is easier, but requires more runway and time.

We are taking off on runways designed for modern jets. There is more than enough runway to support a 109 taking off with external weight.

Have you tried this one in 2.0?

Works perfect in 1.2 and 1.5, but in the Instant Action -> Take off NEVADA, in 2.0, the rudder could not hold the movement alone, I had to add brakes.

Strange. I am not experiencing that.

I always have problems landing my DCS ww2 aircraft, other than when belly landing, out of the runways.

Grass field or even "soil" landings always end up in crash :-/~

I don't know if the ground physics are tuned for that sort of activity :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I recall the comments of the Luftwaffe guy who was interviewed. He said you sometimes needed differential braking to keep the 109 straight on take off. I'd say this new feel is an adjustment in the right direction, and the rudder authority can be an issue at the start of a roll deliberately.

1.2 ATA solves the problem, and it'll make better pilots of all of us.

Heres how i take off

First line your self up with the runway. Then lock the tail wheel the lever is white and located on the left side of the cockpit right above your MW50 switch. lock that and and trim the nose down. slowly increase the throttle to 2000-2400 RPM and let it start rolling and use the rudder to keep tracking straight. Once your tail raises up slowly let off the rudder and get ready for the nose to come up if you didnt trim enough. also if you cant control the yaw with the pedals you are most likely running the engine to hard to fast

• ED Team

To takeoff easier it's better not to lock the tailwheel and apply 1.4 ata as fast as you can do. For sure, the prop must be in AUTO mode...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

For sure, the prop must be in AUTO mode...

Filthy casual scum mode more like.

I don't know how I feel about just slamming my throttle forward and fishtailing left and right until I am airborne. I prefer a more slow, straight rolling but smooth takeoff.

To each their own though. One thing I will say to everyone reading this thread is that you really should find what works for you. Everyone has their own method of takeoff in prop planes.

I don't know how I feel about just slamming my throttle forward and fishtailing left and right until I am airborne. I prefer a more slow, straight rolling but smooth takeoff.
The thing is you fishtail when you mess around with the throttle instead of going all the way forward :smilewink:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The thing is you fishtail when you mess around with the throttle instead of going all the way forward :smilewink:.

S!

Maybe I just know how to use the rudder and brakes during the takeoff roll. This isn't my first 109 I've ever flown.

Fond memories of 1946 :)

To takeoff easier it's better not to lock the tailwheel and apply 1.4 ata as fast as you can do.

Not lock the tailwheel? Wow, that sounds like it'd make for a wild ride! What's the benefit of leaving it unlocked, in this case?

Shouldn't the stick be to the left, rather than the right? You know, to boost the rudder with adverse yaw?

Edited by Echo38