Taking off with the K4 in DCS 2.0

louisv

Just did a test, BF109 feels the same to to me on take off between 1.5.2 and 2.0.

Standard routine of: nose down trim, push the throttle to 1.4 ata with manual pitch at 12 o'clock, applying right rudder when starting to move, correcting with right rudder during roll when needed, getting the tail off the ground and building up speed on two wheels before gently pulling off.

Simple.

Landing at high speed with a broke engine after forgetting to set the prop to automatic is another issue :D

Edit: I still think it's far too pitch up happy though, but that topic has been done to death.

If only Eric could shed some light on this pitch up issue...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Hi Buzzles

Don't you find that the K4 now seems to have less power when starting at 1.4 ata ? I have that feeling compared to the 1.5 version. :cry:

Maybe it has to do with the temperature ? colder temperature will result in more engine power. check to see if you are testing in the same conditions

My method

I find over correction is your worst enemy. My method for straight takeoffs with no load or full load is as follows. Apply ~half flaps depends on load. Flap markers are painted on the flaps as they lower you will see little black lines with a red line at full. I then apply wheel lock and ease the throttle to full over about 4 seconds. At low speeds I apply a little toe break then start using the rudder. I have a curvature of 5 set on my rudder. I never need to flick back and forward with the rudder. usually it is a gradual increase.

Practice practice practice was the key. With my biggest problem being over correction. Good luck!!!

Yes this was in 2.0.

• ED Team
I find over correction is your worst enemy. My method for straight takeoffs with no load or full load is as follows. Apply ~half flaps depends on load. Flap markers are painted on the flaps as they lower you will see little black lines with a red line at full. I then apply wheel lock and ease the throttle to full over about 4 seconds. At low speeds I apply a little toe break then start using the rudder. I have a curvature of 5 set on my rudder. I never need to flick back and forward with the rudder. usually it is a gradual increase.

Practice practice practice was the key. With my biggest problem being over correction. Good luck!!!

Yes this was in 2.0.

Do you really sure you have auto rudder or TO assistance off? :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• 3 weeks later...
Just did a test, BF109 feels the same to to me on take off between 1.5.2 and 2.0.

Standard routine of: nose down trim, push the throttle to 1.4 ata with manual pitch at 12 o'clock, applying right rudder when starting to move, correcting with right rudder during roll when needed, getting the tail off the ground and building up speed on two wheels before gently pulling off.

Simple.

Landing at high speed with a broke engine after forgetting to set the prop to automatic is another issue :D

Edit: I still think it's far too pitch up happy though, but that topic has been done to death.

Me, too, except ATA for me is 1.2, up on two wheels, and she goes up ever so nicely.

My setup using the Nevada map was using Instant Action / Nevada Takeoff from Groom Lake. Have to use a lot of right rudder and play with it. I landed where the big commercial jets are parked in Las Vegas.

Tailwheel locked. I even taxi all the time with it locked.

Flaps are up.

I set trim +1 with no external gas tank, 100% fuel.

Me, too, after takeoff, wheels up, then I set the prop to auto-governor.

Have been only flying 109 for past 3 weeks, relearning her and learning more.

In Special I use the default, no cheats.

Bf-109K-4 does not operate same as P-51 or 190. There is a bit of a learning curve involved learning to fly her.

I agree, 109 wants to climb all the time unless I reduce throttle to the 109's sweet-spot, which btw is too dam_ slow.

The Nevada map is only the alpha, I'm sure DCS will get it right.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's been a long time since I had problems taxiing or taking off in the k4. Landing has long been piece of cake too, but, the truth is I don't believe the way the aircraft behaves, specially that pitching up tendencies, and the lightness on ground, are that plausible :-( ... There really must be something wrong with this model, although I can't give maths to support my belief...

I used to takeoff :

- at MAX 1,4 ATA,

- Manual Prop Pitch set to 12 o'clock,

- Flaps set to the beginning of the 2nd mark.

- Tail Wheel locked,

- Full right rudder and stick centered for initial takeoff run, then easing the right rudder as required to avoid over correcting, and

- only brisk inputs of aileron to counter any rolling tendencies....

- retracting gear only above 150', as I also change to Auto Pitch, or keep in Manual but make sure RPMs are set to MAX 2400 and ATA back to max 1,3 for initial climb, while flaps are being retracted, then re-adjusting to 2300 RPM, and 1,2 ATA

Edited by jcomm

• ED Team
If only Eric could shed some light on this pitch up issue...

Why don't you want to listen to Klaus Plasa? :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

By the way, if anyone is still having trouble taking off with the 109, consider making the MW50/Fuel rear tank empty.

It makes a fair bit of difference and makes the 109 feel a fair bit more stable.

Interesting!

I didn't try to empty it - is it possible through the Fuel and Load menu ?

It's been a long time since I had problems taxiing or taking off in the k4. Landing has long been piece of cake too, but, the truth is I don't believe the way the aircraft behaves, specially that pitching up tendencies, and the lightness on ground, are that plausible :-( ... There really must be something wrong with this model, although I can't give maths to support my belief...

I used to takeoff :

- at MAX 1,4 ATA,

- Manual Prop Pitch set to 12 o'clock,

- Flaps set to the beginning of the 2nd mark.

- Tail Wheel locked,

- Full right rudder and stick centered for initial takeoff run, then easing the right rudder as required to avoid over correcting, and

- only brisk inputs of aileron to counter any rolling tendencies....

- retracting gear only above 150', as I also change to Auto Pitch, or keep in Manual but make sure RPMs are set to MAX 2400 and ATA back to max 1,3 for initial climb, while flaps are being retracted, then re-adjusting to 2300 RPM, and 1,2 ATA

Virtually the same process I follow, with the exception of:

- going to around 1.35 ATA (rather quickly)

&

- I use no flaps

I've had lots (LOTS) of practice time in now, and can T/O and land without issue. A great bird to fly. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

Assign a key or use the default keyboard assignement to alternate between manual and auto prop pitch, and then two other keys, one for finer other for coarser prop pitch adjustment.

Fine pitch will give you higher RPM, coarser the way around.

When you are in manual prop pitch control, adjusting the prop pitch towards the coarser side will bring the "clock" to 12:00.

Don't forget to watch your ATA and RPM after takeoff, making sure you reduce prop to 2500 or 2300...

É pá, e eu tinha-me escapado.... Eheheh - Olá!

RPM is controlled through throttle and blade picth, which can be in auto or manual mode.

I have started to use manual mode mostly, even in combat, and trained my hear to recognize when the RPMs are approaching limits...

The radiators, leave them in Auto ( up position ) and all is OK :-)

I'll send you a PM with my contact so we can talk :-)