Chaff bug

akp

Tested in 1.5.1.47285 Update 2.

I start the mission with 64 chaff and press the drop countermeasures button, nothing happens.

Flares work just fine.

When using 32 flares 32 chaff I end up with 16 chaff leftover and then the button refuses to fire the remaining chaff.

The manual recommends 48 Flare 16 Chaff.

I think it fires them off in a "Ratio" like 2 flares for every 1 chaff or something, and if you use a different ratio and run out of one or the other it just stops working completely. Not sure if accurate or a bug. Try loading 48 Flares and 16 Chaff and see if you can dispense the entire pod.

Tested in 1.5.1.47285 Update 2.

I start the mission with 64 chaff and press the drop countermeasures button, nothing happens.

Flares work just fine.

When using 32 flares 32 chaff I end up with 16 chaff leftover and then the button refuses to fire the remaining chaff.

I have also observed this, I'm only able to dispense chaff if I also dispense flares at the same time. Previously all chaff loadouts could be taken and functioned normally, this is no longer the case.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think if you are happy with the amount of chaff/flare given at the start of the mission (the amount wich is set by the mission editor) Chaff and flare works fine. But if you change it via the reload/F8 menu ingame, the chaff/flare dispensor does not work.

For me the ASO pod will not dispense at all even using the default 32/32. ;)

That's quite alright Java, sometimes asking the simple questions can provide a simple solution.

I'm trying to deploy chaff/flare by turning on SPRD power and drop switches (RH50 and RH51), and holding the SPRD drop button (LH60) after uncovering the red safety cap. No chaff/flare deployment occurs, and there is no countermeasures launch sound effect.

This issue only occurs in 1.5 - it operated as normal in 1.2.16.

I NEVER use the RH50 and RH51 switches, those are for the rocket boosters if you have them equiped. I don't know if they interfere with the Chaff/Flare release, but I leave them down always. (If they point aft, they are in the off position) I often find it usefull to hold the LH60 button for a second or two. Also, I do use the default "insert" button on my keyboard for dropping countermeasures. I do not have it assigned to my joystick.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

It really seems to be a bug, I noticed it too (actually I wanted to start a thread about it when I saw this one).

Here's a track I made using 1.5.2.48162, from the mission editor I equipped ASO pods and missiles, 16 flares / 48 chaffs, starting in flight.

I removed the ASO cap then switched to external view and kept the release button pressed (I replayed the track it worked for me).

It's clear that we see 16 (8x2) flares released along with visible chaffs then nothing.

If you equip chaffs only, nothing will be released at all.

NoChaffs.1.5.2.48162.trk

Edited by PiedDroit

I NEVER use the RH50 and RH51 switches, those are for the rocket boosters if you have them equiped. I don't know if they interfere with the Chaff/Flare release, but I leave them down always. (If they point aft, they are in the off position) I often find it usefull to hold the LH60 button for a second or two. Also, I do use the default "insert" button on my keyboard for dropping countermeasures. I do not have it assigned to my joystick.

Hi Java :D

This is interesting.. my understanding was that it was necessary to activate the ASO pod before dispensing countermeasures by using these switches as described on page 148 of the manual:

"The ASO container needs to be powered up: since the ASO is mounted in the SPRD mounts, make sure you turned on SPRD power and drop switches (RH50 and RH51). "

After further testing on my set-up, it would appear that it makes no difference whether these switches are activated or not, and it also makes no difference if you change the default setting from 32 chaff/32 flare.

Sometimes the big red panic button just works, and sometimes it doesn't. huh.gif

Noted.

Great, thanks :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

As far as i know by experience if u put only chaff or flares in the ASO it can't dispense. If i need a lot of flares i set my ASO to 60 flares and 4 chaff, so i will have for the four first dispenses 8 flares and four chaff and then i have 26 presses of flares pairs.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

Hi Java :D

This is interesting.. my understanding was that it was necessary to activate the ASO pod before dispensing countermeasures by using these switches as described on page 148 of the manual:

"The ASO container needs to be powered up: since the ASO is mounted in the SPRD mounts, make sure you turned on SPRD power and drop switches (RH50 and RH51). "

That was also my understanding. It shouldn't work without them.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...

Chaff/flares dispenser not working for me. I make sure all specific switches and covers are in the right position, and also i press the drop button for a few secons and still won't work. I have latest 1.5.3 version.

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. I did not fly the 21 for a while and now I'm going crazy over not being able to deploy countermeasures. I see a few treads about it going stale three months ago. Was this bug fixed? Doing all correctly, I think...

Edit: Found it here, with status unassigned: https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=386

It says "randomly", but for me it's always, online and offline in all missions ((

Edited by impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Perhaps the gear is damaged? Gear not up inhibits release.

The DCS controls label and physical location suggest that the SPRD and/or SPRD Drop are needed to power the ASO. Currently the ASO (or the SPS-141 which contains dispensers as well) works regardless of SPRD switches on the right console.

Make sure to press and HOLD the countermeasures dispense button to ensure release. Either the dedicated fuselage-mount release button or the SPS-141/fuselage-mount release will work for the fuselage-mount dispensers.

When in doubt click and hold the 3D cockpit button to bypass any issues with controller bindings to diagnose issues.

Dispenser will release 1 chaff and 2 flares per pulse. If items are not loaded in a 2:1 mix then one will deplete before the other and the remainder of releases will be of a single type.

The dispenser can be loaded in increments of 2. Releases of a single chaff will show the higher multiple of two on the rearm screen. E.g. starting with 6 releasing one (5 remaining) will show "6" in rearm. The next release will reduce the count to four and "4" will show in the rearm menu.

Ok, got it. It's not the button on front dash called "SPRD Start", it's the button next to throttle activated by either "Drop Countermeasures" OR "SDRD Drop". Why two bindings? Anyway, now ready to go online...

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

In the current version, ASO chaff/flare dispenser bug happens to me as well both SP and MP.

To reproduce it, spawn mig21 in mission editor already in the air, create new payload profile with ASO equipped (48f+16ch as recommended).

In flight enabling SPRD on & drop switches on the right horizontal console and removing the Drop switch cap on left side. Hold the button down until you empty the dispenser. First time it works every time at least for me.

Quit > Fly again (without going back into editor). Repeat the steps above in attempt to drop flares/chaff. For me, second time there is a good chance it will not work (it acts as if the cover was closed, but you see&hear the button click) and any further attempt will fail. Simply put, if the second attempt works, most likely it will keep working for subsequent flights with that plane and flare/chaff amount, but if it fails, it will remain broken.

If the issue happens, the only way so far I found to alter this behaviour is going back into the mission editor and slightly change the amount of chaff/flare, e.g. to 18/46 and fly the scenario again. With changed amount the dispenser should work at least for that first flight.

I will try the same thing in MP today, rearming each time slightly different amount into ASO to see if it works.

Haven't tested SPS yet, so can't say if it is affected on my end.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Ok, got it. It's not the button on front dash called "SPRD Start", it's the button next to throttle activated by either "Drop Countermeasures" OR "SDRD Drop". Why two bindings? Anyway, now ready to go online...

Because there are possibly 2 buttons in the plane. One is SPRD Drop (near throttle under red cover and it either drops rato booster, or dispenses flare/chaff if ASO is installed there), another button is when you use SPS pod, which is located on the additional panel installed on top of optical sight. Third button you mentioned is SPRD start, it is on front panel under black cover and it acts as manual starter for the rato/sprd boosters (should be unrelated to chaff/flares themselves though).

Pairing sprd drop + sps countermeasure release button into single command is practical for those who have <100 button joysticks imo :D

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

I tried BadHabit's technique and got flares for a whole flight! Then proceeded to never get it again after 5 more.

60-4, Flares to Chaff, it worked.

60-4, failed to work

16-16, failed to work

32-32, failed to work

2-2, failed to work

32-16, failed to work

Seems to be completely random and I'd suspect it's an issue with the control binding.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

there was an entry for this on the leatherneck bugtracker, i reported detailed infos about this ongoing problem there with descriptions of my observations regarding this bug and some tracks, etc. but it seems it was changed back to "resolved".

just to clarify, this bug is NOT resolved, it is still happening for me in the latest 1.5 version (openbeta).

https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=41

duplicate bug report on the same issue that is still open

https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=310

In the current version, ASO chaff/flare dispenser bug happens to me as well both SP and MP.

If the issue happens, the only way so far I found to alter this behaviour is going back into the mission editor and slightly change the amount of chaff/flare, e.g. to 18/46 and fly the scenario again. With changed amount the dispenser should work at least for that first flight.

this might be the info that leatherneck needs to finally fix this bug. as i reported on the tracker, the behavior is completely non-consistent even with recorded tracks - i recorded 2 tracks, once when the aso-2 worked, once when the bug was preventing it from working. but on replaying the track with the WORKING aso-2 several times, it stopped working in the replay sometimes. if it stopped, only after restarting dcsworld it would work again.

so the stored amount of chaffs/flares in some config file - which affects your mig until you quit and restart DCSWorld, or reset the amount manually in mission editor seems to cause this "random behavior.

hopefully this will be fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Guys do you have ASO-2 working in latest DCS 1.5.4.55584 Update 3 version? Just tried it and it does not work even with different amount of chaffs and flares.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro