DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

F4U-1D Airplane Characteristics & Performance Card (commonly referred to as ACP) gives top speed of 358 mph on deck, 384 mph at 10,000 ft and 409 mph at 19,900 ft (combat power), 343 mph on deck, 359 mph at 10,000 ft and 396 mph at 23,900 ft (military power).

Now I invite you to compare those to what we have in game, as I can assure you that both K-4 and D-9 are quite faster, particularly down low.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

According to an F4U-1D spec sheet published by Vought the -1D can make 419mph at 20,000ft.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-detail-specification.pdf

419mph @ 20,000ft using WEP, for the "intercepter" setup, which is 1/2 ammo and a reduced fuel load?

The chart also says sea level speed for that configuration is only 318 mph. Which does make it slower than both the 109 and 190 figures you posted.

Edited by Buzzles

Right, and I'm telling you your source is wrong amd the plane e is nerfed, just like it was in IL2. The specs I posted, along with source, were from Vought.

I assume you mean US Navy nerfed its own aircraft ? That is interesting theory :pilotfly:

You should know what ACP is, those are official documents and there is one for F4U-1D, FG-1D and F4U-1C as well, from August 1945:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

You should know what ACP is, those are official documents and there is one for F4U-1D, FG-1D and F4U-1C as well, from August 1945:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1d-acp.pdf

According to this ACP document top speed in clean condition is 417 mph/ 20.000 feet, close enough to 419 mph to be well within the expected variance between individual examples of WW2 mass produced fighters (and their error of measurement).

That what is essentially still a 1943 F4U-1 is competitive vs. the best enemy fighters at the end of the war speaks for the design.

Edited by Cunctator

That what is essentially still a 1943 F4U-1 is competitive vs. the best enemy fighters at the end of the war speaks for the design.

...except both Dora and Kurfurst weren't 'the best enemy fighters at the end of the war', that trophy goes to the jet fighters. The Luftwaffe already recognized the 109 and 190 designs as outdated in early 1942 when compared against new designs from Heinkel. The realities of the war made it not pragmatic to change production to a superior design.

Although this whole debate is useless. There is more that makes a great aircraft than just a single characteristic like speed.

...except both Dora and Kurfurst weren't 'the best enemy fighters at the end of the war', that trophy goes to the jet fighters. The Luftwaffe already recognized the 109 and 190 designs as outdated in early 1942 when compared against new designs from Heinkel. The realities of the war made it not pragmatic to change production to a superior design.

Although this whole debate is useless. There is more that makes a great aircraft than just a single characteristic like speed.

They were the best enemy prop fighters, on par with the Allied designs, so it remains relevant.

Reliability of those engines was none, so switching to them would not be the best idea in 42, heck even 43.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

They were the best enemy prop fighters, on par with the Allied designs, so it remains relevant.

I think that was the Fw Ta 152 ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Corsair was aircraft carrier design, one of the Main Design choices was Range/Flying Time.

USN/JNA never adoped V-12 inline Engines for Carrier Operations, Maintenance issues and ruggnes of the radial Engines.

Most of the Service Life the Corsair enemy was the Zero, from Engine Power there was far lacking behind.

Compare Corsair with german short Range land Based Fighter the Corsair come never in contact so on was no need for increase the Top Speed more like compare apples with Pears.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Cam in contact with Italians and Germans with the British navy who operated the B variant which was similar to the c minus it had clipped wingtips

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Cam in contact with Italians and Germans with the British navy who operated the B variant which was similar to the c minus it had clipped wingtips

Thats right hardley belive they come in contact with K4 and D9 at late War Stage when there was not any carrier Operation necessary.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Only aircraft I'm interested in is the F4U. Is it actually being made or is it just speculation?

It is: https://steamdb.info/app/223750/dlc/

SteamDB Unknown App 411940 (DCS: F4U-1 Corsair)
The accompanying map will be Iwo Jima.

They also said, that they plan to release the Corsair before the Tomcat. They stated their intent to make an entire Pacific WW2 theatre with different aircraft, maps and ground/sea units. They already posted a screenshot that seems to be an early work in progress render of a Zero engine or something similar.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

So if its Iwo Jima it can't be the dash one?

Hope the make the dash 4. Absolute beast.

They will do the dash 1 as you can see. There won't be the exact variant of an aircraft for each map. Same with Normandy and the aircraft we already have. If I'm not mistaken, the Bf109 K4 and and the specific variant of the upcoming Spitfire were not available in the Normandy battle.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

They will do the dash 1 as you can see. There won't be the exact variant of an aircraft for each map. Same with Normandy and the aircraft we already have. If I'm not mistaken, the Bf109 K4 and and the specific variant of the upcoming Spitfire were not available in the Normandy battle.

Oh the Mk9 was available alright and was in the process of replacing mk5 squadrons as the dora was giving the 5s a run for their money.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Oh the Mk9 was available alright and was in the process of replacing mk5 squadrons as the dora was giving the 5s a run for their money.

Alright :)

Tornado3 small.jpg

So if its Iwo Jima it can't be the dash one?

Hope the make the dash 4. Absolute beast.

Despite the transition to F4U-4 in spring 1945 the F4U-1D was still used by the bulk of frontline squadrons until VJ day. With the Dash one series they will cover all of WW2 and allied air arms. Based on the number of books and model kits the WW2 F4U-1 is also the much more popular version of the Corsair.