DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

One thing a noticed in the summer update is following formulation:

Regarding the available ordnance and additional equipment, the full list of British and US bombs and rockets will be presented closer to the release. We hope to toss in a few features that would make our F4U-1D very unique in the DCS WW2 environment.

Could this be a reference to the AN/ASG-10 Mark 1 Mod 0 bomb director, intended for toss bombing? The later AN/ASG-10 Mark 1 Mod 1 was installed in some F4U-4 palnes and is describe in their pilot's manual. The Mod 0 is described in the document attached to the thread linked below, dated April 1945. Thus it could very well found its way into them very late F4U-1Ds. 

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/obscure-toss-bombing-manual-from-late-wwii-an-asg-10-bomb-director-mk-1-mod-0.42703/

Edited by Cunctator
  • Like 1

Summer 2021 Dev Update: http://leatherneck-sim.com/2021/06/25/2021-summer-update/

Chance-Vought F4U-1D Corsair

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_000-scaled.jpg

Starting with F4U-1D Corsair, we are happy to report that the module is in its final stages of development.  Most of the artwork and system programming is nearing completion, while the flight model and engine operation are in process of fine tuning and testing.  A set of missions and a campaign are also planned and will be done in cooperation with the renowned and talented campaign creator Reflected Simulations!

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_001-scaled.jpg

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_002-scaled.jpg

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_003-scaled.jpg

For the past few months following our Christmas update, our artists have shifted their efforts towards improving the cockpit.  The F4U-1 is one of the few aircraft lacking sidewalls and a floor.  Because of this many of the Corsair’s vital components are exposed.  Though time consuming, we have given this special attention utilizing original manufacture drawings and unrestored aircraft as references to recreate most of the panels, cables, pipes and switches.  Each area was then checked within VR to ensure that nothing what a strapped in pilot would see, will be missing.

Our team has settled on a modification designated MCR-600. This modification was a complete overhaul and simplification of the cockpit’s hydraulic system. Other changes not related to this MCR, include the following:

• Separate rocket firing button
  • 4 switch armament box on the right side dash that is tailored for Tiny Tim use.
  • Removal of the M-8 flair gun to help reduce toxic fumes getting into the cockpit through the firing tube.
  • Removal of the vapor dilution system, since there are no wing fuel tanks.
  • Removal of the carburetor choke lever.

Thus the update of the cockpit model and adjustment of the textures to fit new cockpit constitute the final chapter of aircraft art development.

Items that will be modeled during Early Access include the armored glass and an adjustable Mk.8 gun sight.

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_005-scaled.jpg

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_006.jpg

F4U-1D_Cockpit-Fixees_007.jpg

System development is also largely complete as hydraulics, electrics and basic weapon systems are operational and we’ll continue to fine tune them as tests proceed.  The AN/ARC-5 Radio and navigation equipment were also completed and tested earlier this spring.  Decision to add the AN/ARC-1 radio set is still pending.  Smaller things such as the oxygen equipment, anti-blackout suit, and particularly interesting (based on carbon-dioxide), the emergency landing gear extension system remain, due to the cockpit enhancements.

Screen_210608_104617.png

Screen_210608_105038.png

Screen_210608_203508.png

Screen_210608_100629.png

Regarding the available ordnance and additional equipment, the full list of British and US bombs and rockets will be presented closer to the release.  We hope to toss in a few features that would make our F4U-1D very unique in the DCS WW2 environment.

Screen_210608_100422.png

Essex Class Aircraft Carrier

Moving on, the carrier’s hangar bay is undergoing extensive development.  It is our intention to make it possible for you to spawn inside the “belly” of the aircraft carrier, start-up the Corsair and bring it to the main deck with your very own efforts.  We think that this feature would give you better understanding of aircraft carrier operations.

Don’t mind the sun roof, our ship-yard workers need fresh air.

Essex_Hangar_006.png

Essex_Hangar_003.png

Essex_Hangar_002.png

Essex_Hangar_005.png

Essex_Hangar_004.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, Beirut said:

At this rate we might see the Corsair before we see the Mosquito. 

Although I love the Mosquito, I'd be cool with that !

Especially since the sooner the Corsair gets out of EA, the sooner the F-8 Crusader will get to us!!!!!!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

From Facebook:

Introducing the S.W.O.D. 9 Mark 0 Bat Bomb! The great great grandfather of the JSOW. Developed in 1944, it first saw service in April of 1945, launched from PB4Y-2B bomber aircraft. Later other aircraft, such as the Corsair, were modified to carry it. 🛠
The onboard radar system had been designed to act like an echo location that bats and dolphins use to find their prey. A pulse signal would be transmitted toward the intended target. When the return signal is received, it would adjust its flight path accordingly until impact.
Inside it's belly harbored the AN-M65 general purpose bomb. 1000lbs of nightmares, that are intended for anti-ship strikes! 💥

f4upretty.jpg

216969089_2882744615281531_8160115405720216644_n.jpg

217224252_2882744645281528_4545736461842585855_n.jpg

218628179_2882744601948199_3769230219140313788_n.jpg

• Like 8

Very interesting and thoroughly researched article on the Corsair versus the Bf-109 and the FW-190, and the Hellcat. Long but worth if you don’t mind the monotonal delivery 

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:18 PM, Lynchsl62 said:

Very interesting and thoroughly researched article on the Corsair versus the Bf-109 and the FW-190, and the Hellcat. Long but worth if you don’t mind the monotonal delivery

I prefer his delivery over someone who is over-animated. Reminds me of my history professor.

Edited by Krez
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, Krez said:

I prefer his delivery over someone who is over-animated. Reminds me of my history professor.

Hi sknowledge and depth can not be questioned for sure and through his videos I am getting a much better grasp on how and why the planes were optimised the way they were, choosing the best compromise for the selected profile. He also addresses some technological dead ends where cost were excessive - the P-47 for example was more expensive than the P-51 and the differential in performance did not justify the cost, but oh to try a P-47 M or N

• Like 2

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2015 at 7:30 PM, Hueyman said:

Well, someone actually had to get the ball rolling;-P And I wanted to :thumbup:

diqWrek.jpg

zBj7I4a.jpg

I have to admit, I was almost sure it was going to be the Corsair, but today let's say 85% of my dream came true, nothing official yet but intimately convinced there'll be a Corsair...

NcFHjjx.jpg

zOzz05G.jpg

This thread would be a Corsair general discussion, all variants included.

The Bent Wing, no one can be indifferent about it, you love it, you hate it ... It's not only the Baa Baa Black Sheep workhorse, even if in our minds it stays so, the Chance Vought F4U Corsair got a great life through the years.

eibqYNC.jpg

SIjamW9.jpg

She's brutally powerful, she's fast, she's aggressive and she's just awesome...

This inverted Gull Wing configuration , with high torque radial engine spinning a huge three or four bladed Constant Speed prop just did marvels,

one of the fastest of the WWII, and even after...

Great performances, more than sufficient payload including unguided rockets, HE Bombs, Napalm and fuel tanks. A good lad for former CAS and strafing runs on convoys, trains or infantry.

7xaPjAP.jpg

ORtpOup.jpg

Now, let's share our thoughts, hopes and wishes ( while trying not to make this thread a bin ) and feelings about this mighty airframe

We are little black sheep. Who have gone astray ...

g3SJZWh.jpg

lIXQOjr.jpg

Yk47wRh.jpg

Have a good evening dudes !

Hueyman

To bad this stat card doesn't show the F4U-5

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Hoping we’ll see some more Corsair progress / news now that the Mossie is on pre-order👍

From a marketing point of view I’d be surprised if we have 2 WW2 releases close together, I’d expect a couple of months at least.

I may be greedy but I am interested to see what’s next on the DCS WW2 menu though 😉 We were aware of the Kickstarter planes but now (other than the 262) they are done so it’s ED and their partners choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cunctator said:

It looks like it is close to release since 2 years, since the virtual air show demonstration with carrier landing video.

As was explained in our development updates, we have decided to significantly remodel F4U, as we have gained access to original manufacturing drawings and plans. It's not different to what ED Mosquito is going through. All devs wish to ensure the very best quality of their product, and visual side of things is extremely important here 🙂 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Don't worry about the impatient.... just make the best product you can, and try ensure a minimum of bugs, the rest will sort itself out just fine! 

Agree! It comes when it comes, the more finished the better of course but It will be a day one preorder/purchase for me anyway.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 8/19/2021 at 6:13 PM, Hiromachi said:

As was explained in our development updates, we have decided to significantly remodel F4U, as we have gained access to original manufacturing drawings and plans. It's not different to what ED Mosquito is going through. All devs wish to ensure the very best quality of their product, and visual side of things is extremely important here 🙂 

Sure, but what is the current status of the project? What is there left to be done for an initial EA canditate?

Artwork. Remodelling is done, UVs are finished too, Rudel has to retexture some parts of the cockpit to account for the changes made in the shapes / new objects. Rest of the team is looking into aircraft carrier operation and trying to get Bat bomb working.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7