DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

35 minutes ago, Hiromachi said:

Artwork. Remodelling is done, UVs are finished too, Rudel has to retexture some parts of the cockpit to account for the changes made in the shapes / new objects. Rest of the team is looking into aircraft carrier operation and trying to get Bat bomb working.  

I hate to be stupid, but what are UVs?

• Like 1

I dunno... might have something to do with ultra violet colors and reflectivity for PBR textures maybe?!

That Bat bomb is... WILD!  Had no idea it even existed at all... like a  Harpoon missile, but glider form, and double the boom!

So I'm guessing the main reason it was put under the Corsair, was the extra ground clearance for such a large piece of ordnance, thanks to the bent-wing configuration?? It's funny how an engineering compromise for a very large propeller and smaller gear, results in a happy marriage with an oversize self-guided glider...

• Like 1

UV or UVW are the coordinate axis on a 2D plane or in this case, the texture.

Imagine neatly taking the wrapping paper off a Christmas present and laying it out flat.

Basically, Im unwrapping the objects to be flat, so they can be textured.  It's generally the slowest part of development.

unknown.png

Edited by -Rudel-
  • Like 6

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

ooooohh... ok I think I get it. Because altghough that's one texture, it's the colors for many different parts, each that is a different shape... so the UV describes that from these pixels to those pixels on the texture, are for this part here that is this shape... the other part is for a different shape. Is this correct?

• Like 1

The DirectX protocols in the graphics engine will use mathematical equations to convert each pixel in the UVW space into the XYZ 3D space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

8 hours ago, -Rudel- said:

Imagine neatly taking the wrapping paper off a Christmas present and laying it out flat.

Basically, Im unwrapping the objects to be flat, so they can be textured.  It's generally the slowest part of development.

unknown.png

So... Confirmed for Christmas I guess?

12 hours ago, -Rudel- said:

It's generally the slowest part of development.

I am by no means implying anything, just an honest question. Is this why most releases drop with the "paint kit" for the community livery designers releasing sometimes months later?

13 hours ago, Rick50 said:

So I'm guessing the main reason it was put under the Corsair, was the extra ground clearance for such a large piece of ordnance, thanks to the bent-wing configuration?? It's funny how an engineering compromise for a very large propeller and smaller gear, results in a happy marriage with an oversize self-guided glider...

In late WW2 and beyond the US Navy introduced a number of weapons and delivery methods to give their attack aircraft a greater stand off range vs. ships with and their heavy AAA belt. Others used by Corsairs were the 11.75 inch tiny tiny rocket, a rocket powered 500 pound bomb, or the AN/ASG-10 bomb director for toss bombing. At that time the F4U squadrons had the VBF designation (Bombing-Fighting Squadron) and were multi role in nature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

......"Rest of the team is looking into aircraft carrier operation and trying to get Bat bomb working."

I would certainly hope that getting the Bat bomb working is not going to hold up the Corsair's release! I don't think that it was delivered by the Corsair in actual combat very many times, if at all. It's an interesting weapon but without any IJN shipping for targets it will be of little use. The pilot of the Corsair has no control over the unit once it has been dropped so the team looking into it could easily continue to do so after the Corsair has been released into Early Access. Just my opinion.

Edited by AG-51_Razor
diction
  • Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I would certainly hope that getting the Bat bomb working is not going to hold up the Corsair's release! I don't think that it was delivered by the Corsair in actual combat very many times, if at all. It's an interesting weapon but without any IJN shipping for targets it will be of little use. The pilot of the Corsair has no control over the unit once it has been dropped so the team looking into it could easily continue to do so after the Corsair has been released into Early Access. Just my opinion.

With a sigh I agree 100%.

20 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

It's not. As I said previously, the one to blame is @-Rudel- because of the artwork. We always blame him anyway 🙂 

But seriously, if there is time to work on the features, than we can fit them. Module itself is always a priority.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

On 8/21/2021 at 12:01 AM, -Rudel- said:

unknown.png

I somehow always loved doing UV layouts for my stuff when I was doing 3D art .. sounds crazy doesnt it? 😄

On 8/21/2021 at 12:27 AM, -Rudel- said:

The DirectX protocols in the graphics engine will use mathematical equations to convert each pixel in the UVW space into the XYZ 3D space.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how will this work once DCS switches to Vulkan? Will that UV work need to be redone for the models to show up properly? Is that something that every 3rd party dev will have to go through, since Vulkan is supposed to be initially released in a few weeks?

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Nothing will need to be changed.

• Like 4

In this comment , it's stated that the F4U won't have the new WW2 damage model on initial release. What kind of damage model will it have, and what is the plan to migrate to the new damage model that the majority (I think just the I16 is lacking) of other warbirds have?  This may affect the Corsair's use on MP servers, certainly at initial release.  I'm very much looking forward to picking this aircraft up but this would be a showstopper for picking it up at the very start during Early Access.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 6:14 AM, burritto said:

In this comment , it's stated that the F4U won't have the new WW2 damage model on initial release. What kind of damage model will it have, and what is the plan to migrate to the new damage model that the majority (I think just the I16 is lacking) of other warbirds have?  This may affect the Corsair's use on MP servers, certainly at initial release.  I'm very much looking forward to picking this aircraft up but this would be a showstopper for picking it up at the very start during Early Access.

The Corsair will be released released with the current damage model, which is the same as all current War Birds. The damage model in the quote is currently under development and will be first released with the Mosquito. After which all aircraft will need to be migrated to the new system.

My information was incorrect, please see the post below.

See this post for ED dev quote related to new damage model

Edited by Hartsblade
Edited incorrect info
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

5 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

The Corsair will be released released with the current damage model, which is the same as all current War Birds. The damage model in the quote is currently under development and will be first released with the Mosquito. After which all aircraft will need to be migrated to the new system.

See this post for ED dev quote related to new damage model

What ED does and what enhancements introduces, is only related to their modules. What Burritto asked about is whether F4U will have new damage model, "new" meaning the one released last year for all ED warbirds. Not new in regard to whatever improvements ED is preparing for future. 

And the answer is no. F4U will have old damage model (one prior to the last years warbirds upgrade) because new one is not a part of SDK. Our requests to gain access to it sooner were denied, as ED wishes to release it for 3rd parties only in a complete form. We will make some improvements on our own, thats for sure, but current warbirds damage models are not available for 3rd parties to implement and there is nothing we can do about it. We can only hope for ED release final version in not too distant future 🙂

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

2 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

What ED does and what enhancements introduces, is only related to their modules. What Burritto asked about is whether F4U will have new damage model, "new" meaning the one released last year for all ED warbirds. Not new in regard to whatever improvements ED is preparing for future. 

And the answer is no. F4U will have old damage model (one prior to the last years warbirds upgrade) because new one is not a part of SDK. Our requests to gain access to it sooner were denied, as ED wishes to release it for 3rd parties only in a complete form. We will make some improvements on our own, thats for sure, but current warbirds damage models are not available for 3rd parties to implement and there is nothing we can do about it. We can only hope for ED release final version in not too distant future 🙂

Thank you for clearing that up, my mistake.  I will edit my post.

Looking forward to the Corsair either way.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

Thank you for clarifying things Hiromachi. I think that’s a real shame as it will eventually mean a complete rework on a new module (as far as damage model goes), rather than keeping it in line with the other WW2 modules from the get go. I wonder if the community could help persuade ED to share the code earlier, rather than later? It seems silly to have your coders working with what is now obselete code.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hiromachi said:

thx for the update Hiro.  Hopefully ED gets to the grind on that soon.  Lots of 3rd party aircraft out there

• Like 4

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 9/6/2021 at 10:46 PM, Hartsblade said:

Thank you for clearing that up, my mistake.  I will edit my post.

Looking forward to the Corsair either way.

What you were talking about is just a new visual damage effect showing each bullet impact, which will first be introduced with the Mossie. It's the newest addition to the new damage model, that ED introduced last year for the warbirds and should also come to the jets in the future.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 9/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, burritto said:

I wonder if the community could help persuade ED to share the code earlier, rather than later?

It's not ''the community's'' place to try to dictate how and why ED operate @@ Do you know what's worse than cobbling together a working DM out of the old, stable code? Trying to chase a moving goalpost that is not yet finalised and which may result in you REPEATEDLY doing and redoing the same task.

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 8/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, Rick50 said:

ooooohh... ok I think I get it. Because altghough that's one texture, it's the colors for many different parts, each that is a different shape... so the UV describes that from these pixels to those pixels on the texture, are for this part here that is this shape... the other part is for a different shape. Is this correct?

In simple terms UV’s are a flattened/2D version of the mesh. 

This mesh can then then be painted on etc, and the texture is simultaneously applied to the 3D model, or is applied importing.