DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

Hah, sorry. My humor should have been more clear. I was hoping the update would have spurred some discussion here; yes it was a lame joke that fell flat. I am really excited that the Essex is that far along; even with the early damage model intact. I am also curious if behind the scenes ED and M3 were in discussions knowing how big of a release this was going to be. I am hoping that ED has been working hard to provide some assets (whether ground, air, or map) to coincide/support the corsair release. At the very least, I am hoping M3 have some low-fidelity or AI Japanese assets like an AI zero ready to dogfight against. Either way, the update was stunning and I can't believe the level of detail shown in the update. A cold-start in that cockpit for the first time is going to be SURREAL! I wish they would have given us a little easter egg of some sound effects, but it shouldn't be long now! I hope to get my new Varjo Aero VR headset before this thing releases, but either way I am very excited!

• Like 2

At the very least, I am hoping M3 have some low-fidelity or AI Japanese assets like an AI zero ready to dogfight against. 

Sadly, that effort seems to have been limited to painting the Anton white or green 😕

Edited by rkk01

13 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Sadly, that effort seems to have been limited to painting the Anton white or green 😕

Not True, they teased an AI Zero over 2 years ago and have openly stated they will ship Corsair with a limited WWII Pacific Asset Pack. 

https://leatherneck-sim.com/2020/05/20/crouching-update/

"As we’ve mentioned a few months ago, our intention is to deliver the F4U-1D not only as a module but as an entire package containing a few more features, including an aircraft carrier and Ai units.  Exact contents are not decided yet and they depend on many things, but apart from the Essex Class Aircraft Carrier we’ve been working on some ground units to build a very basic environment for the F4U-1D.  A variety of such assets include the Japanese Type 89, Type 95 and Type 97 tanks, Type 94 truck (in a few versions) and the 25 mm Type 96 gun, 75 mm Type 88 cannons.  A complete package of contents will be disclosed closer to the release date!"

r3pen22nxo341.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rakkis said:

Not True, they teased an AI Zero over 2 years ago and have openly stated they will ship Corsair with a limited WWII Pacific Asset Pack. 

https://leatherneck-sim.com/2020/05/20/crouching-update/

"As we’ve mentioned a few months ago, our intention is to deliver the F4U-1D not only as a module but as an entire package containing a few more features, including an aircraft carrier and Ai units.  Exact contents are not decided yet and they depend on many things, but apart from the Essex Class Aircraft Carrier we’ve been working on some ground units to build a very basic environment for the F4U-1D.  A variety of such assets include the Japanese Type 89, Type 95 and Type 97 tanks, Type 94 truck (in a few versions) and the 25 mm Type 96 gun, 75 mm Type 88 cannons.  A complete package of contents will be disclosed closer to the release date!"

r3pen22nxo341.png

Ahh, but the question wasn’t about what M3 / Leatherneck were planning - I probably clipped the quote a little tight…

the post was about what support ED were providing to develop the PTO and whether ED would bring out a Zero…

Only a suggestion, could be helpful if the devs could send a pre release copy to Chuck so he could start writing another awesome guide. Having it at the module release could be raise a bit the sale's numbers. A lot of people are intimidated by starting a new module and the manuals, even if good, sometimes are not so straightforward like Cuck's guides

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 3

A years long period of development followed by an "Early Access" release has, in my own experience, invariably indicated a seriously flawed product. 

If they knew how to solve problems in development, they would have done it by now.  Instead they string us along with pictures and promises.

If you have a finished product, release it ...if not, at least suspend the hype campaign.

Edited by billythebassman

2 hours ago, billythebassman said:

A years long period of development followed by an "Early Access" release has, in my own experience, invariably indicated a seriously flawed product. 

If they knew how to solve problems in development, they would have done it by know.  Instead they string us along with pictures and promises.

If you have a finished product, release it ...if not, at least suspend the hype campaign.

From what I heard, they rebuilt the plane from the ground up because ED updated the graphics engine.  This is probably better because some of the older DCS assets look awful like the S-3.  According to the new update this week, the flight model is done.  They are just making the damage model now.  It's wouldn't be fun to fly around in an invincible plane right?  They have already said things like the bat bomb won't be ready for early access.

Also, after thinking about it, it seems as though Leatherneck has their work cut out for them because they seem to have to put together a significant asset pack just to make the plane have real appeal.  There is probably pressure for them to make at least one AI Zero.  They are making a carrier.  Heatblur was able to take their time on the Forrestal because the Supercarrier and Stennis exists.  It would be awkward taking of from a Supercarrier in a Corsair.  It would take you right out of WW2.  If the Corsair came out without a carrier, I would just keep flying my P-51 because I enjoy it more.  The Corsair is my 2nd favorite WW2 plane but carrier ops have a lot to do with it.  This is arguably the most ambitious WW2 third party project because the Pacific theater assets just aren't there.

Edited by PD919
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, PD919 said:

From what I heard, they rebuilt the plane from the ground up because ED updated the graphics engine.  This is probably better because some of the older DCS assets look awful like the S-3.  According to the new update this week, the flight model is done.  They are just making the damage model now.  It's wouldn't be fun to fly around in an invincible plane right?  They have already said things like the bat bomb won't be ready for early access.

Also, after thinking about it, it seems as though Leatherneck has their work cut out for them because they seem to have to put together a significant asset pack just to make the plane have real appeal.  There is probably pressure for them to make at least one AI Zero.  They are making a carrier.  Heatblur was able to take their time on the Forrestal because the Supercarrier and Stennis exists.  It would be awkward taking of from a Supercarrier in a Corsair.  It would take you right out of WW2.  If the Corsair came out without a carrier, I would just keep flying my P-51 because I enjoy it more.  The Corsair is my 2nd favorite WW2 plane but carrier ops have a lot to do with it.  This is arguably the most ambitious WW2 third party project because the Pacific theater assets just aren't there.

Carrier of course increases the coolness and value of the plane. But for the majority of its service during ww2 for the US, it was land based marine aircraft. So it wasn't a must, but very cool that they did. 

I still have very fond memories of Microsoft combat flight simulator 2 and carrier landings. 

If only someone could make Korea assets and we could do some 1950 marine close air support 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I have really no intention of flying off a carrier with the F4U.  I want to fly from land bases with lots of mission  to fly from there.  Rabul, Henderson Field, etc.  Having IJN carriers and other assets is what I would want before the Essex, but that's just me.

The 50's USMC CAP is a great idea too.  Would love to fly that as well.

1 hour ago, Chewmann said:

I have really no intention of flying off a carrier with the F4U.  I want to fly from land bases with lots of mission  to fly from there.  Rabul, Henderson Field, etc.  Having IJN carriers and other assets is what I would want before the Essex, but that's just me.

On my case, I prefer a proper US carrier of WW2 era .. for the japanese forces we can employ user mods, like these:

MBO6Lkb.jpg

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB