DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

On 4/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I believe it wasn't used in Vietnam, but IIRC I've seen some pictures of the latter models (-5 -7) still in use and they were pretty late, like even firsts sixties maybe, though in very minor jobs obviously, ANG and such. Anyhow, even if that was the case, which I'm still not sure, why would we want the -1D to be used in such a context even before having used it in it's rightful Pacific context is beyond my comprehension 🤣.

AU-1 AES-12 @ MCAS El Toro, CA 1956 web.jpg
picture circa 1956

That's an AU-1, ground attack variant and I believe the last Corsairs built.

Regarding the Corsair in SEA, I believe the French used theirs in the Indochina war that preceded the Vietnam war into the late 1950s.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 6:39 AM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I believe it wasn't used in Vietnam, but IIRC I've seen some pictures of the latter models (-5 -7) still in use and they were pretty late, like even firsts sixties maybe, though in very minor jobs obviously, ANG and such. Anyhow, even if that was the case, which I'm still not sure, why would we want the -1D to be used in such a context even before having used it in it's rightful Pacific context is beyond my comprehension 🤣.

picture circa 1956

-6,and it's not the last Corsair ever build.

On 4/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Anyhow, even if that was the case, which I'm still not sure, why would we want the -1D to be used in such a context even before having used it in it's rightful Pacific context is beyond my comprehension 🤣.

Picture circa 1956

Because we take what we can get.

You use the F/A-18D as an A ad A+ in the Spanish air force and will use the F4E as a C, right?

Well, lots of L.A. countries used late corsairs and, i wish to god we would be getting a nice -4 or at east one with 20mm guns, but we will have to do with what we can get-

F4U_ARA

• Like 2

That’s some incredibly complex geometry going on there…!

Great to see the systems so faithfully modelled - even more amazing to think that the original design engineers and draughtsmen worked it all up on paper…😮

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billythebassman said:

This plane was reported by the developers to be in "final stages of development" in 2020 and again in 2021.  What is the point of doing that?  Seriously.

It's the module and everything coming with it. For starters a new WWII carrier with a quality not that far away from super carrier module, plus probably ground assets that IIRC they have shown in the past, and even AI aeroplanes (a6m5) they have also shown in the past. But only the module itself is a hell of a lot of work considering the quality they have shown it'll be. And for all of that, they're still a small team.

I want it ASAP either, but a too soon release given they haven't coped with this kind of WWII modules before, could be disastrous for them bearing in mind the usual harshness some people in the community show more often than not.

• Like 3

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I believe that, back when they mentioned that it was fairly close to release the last time, they then announced a little later that it was decided that the external model wasn't up to par and they decided to completely redo it. I have no doubt that caused a considerable delay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, billythebassman said:

I get why it's taking so long and agree that it should be done correctly.  What I don't get is why it's promised so early time and time again.  If it's no where near finished, as it clearly was in 2020, why say that it's almost ready?

News management policy is up for every third party alone, they probably wanted to tell people it's being done (specially when a common thread out there for this or any other module is "it's abandoned but they aren't telling us" 🙄 🤦‍♂️. Understandable how they try not to tell too much, but you never know when it's really going to be ready for something more, let alone release, and plans change no matter how hard you try to please eager customers. They have to give us some news from time to time showing it's alive and coming, but real life usually gets in the middle of your plans. I wasn't recalling, but it's true they were redoing stuff not that long ago as Razor pointed out. The Mosquito 3D rework certainly took less than I would have expected, but M3 isn't ED team with regards to team numbers.

I don't envy either ED or any other Third Party for the matter, if you say too much it's bad, people get excited too much, too early, too easily, but on the other hand if you tell too little just out of caution people also get nervous once they know something is going on and bad things happens either on social media. What a precarious equilibrium that is…

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
typo
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

bearing in mind the usual harshness some people in the community show more often than not.

yeah, sometimes those people really disgust me 😝 … and I’m sure that once released into EA they will complain why they cant try it for free, and then will complain further if the carrier is not ready on release and they have to wait a bit more for it to appear 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

4 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

yeah, sometimes those people really disgust me 😝 … and I’m sure that once released into EA they will complain why they cant try it for free, and then will complain further if the carrier is not ready on release and they have to wait a bit more for it to appear 🙄

🤣🤣🤣 That's a classic indeed. Let alone if the IA a6m5 they showed up at some point isn't released together with the module, or never, "what will we do? This aeroplane is useless as is" 🤣.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billythebassman said:

I get why it's taking so long and agree that it should be done correctly.  What I don't get is why it's promised so early time and time again.  If it's no where near finished, as it clearly was in 2020, why say that it's almost ready?

I do sometimes wonder if this kind of "noise" actuals puts new developers off creating new aircraft for DCS?

• Like 3

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

3 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I do sometimes wonder if this kind of "noise" actuals puts new developers off creating new aircraft for DCS?

I wouldn't be surprised if it does…

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

I would just add that this is a huge project, not just for the third parties involved, but for ED itself.

This is not just another module IMO, I think we might also be missing the fact that they are opening up a whole new theater.

So on M3's side, we have what appears to be one of the most beautifully modeled WWII props complete with its own carrier and assets.

And that's before we get into the whole WWII version of the Mariana Islands thing.

I think this is going to be a really big deal for the DCS WWII user base, so personally I am expecting Ed's & Third parties entry into the Pacific theater to be a coordinated effort. This is one time I won't mind being wrong if we get one before the other, but if I had to guess...

• Like 4

I also suspect that ED core changes can provide a curve ball to the 3rd party devs…

didn’t ED revise the DCW:WW2 damage modelling and effects during the time period referenced?

(I vaguely remember M3 stating that they wouldn’t be able to use the new WW2 DM…)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

I also suspect that ED core changes can provide a curve ball to the 3rd party devs…

Yes, correct, over a 2.5 year development period ED has updated the propeller animation, the lighting model, the damage, the piston engine dynamics, added IP chat, etc, etc .. I have no doubt that a lot of components of the Corsair have had to be updated to match, increasing the development workload.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2021/11/22 AM10点49分,-Rudel-说:

Message not particularly directed to you, but the fans.

This right here is why the Corsair is taking a while, not to mention the assets that will be included.  If you guys saw what it truly looked like in 2019, there'd be to many complaints comparing it to Heatblur.  The original F4U had awesome textures, but they were not PBR compatible and low res compared by today's standards.  On top of that, it was so horribly modeled.  Not that the mesh was horrible, but the accuracy.

I made the decision to redo everything from scratch.  Blame me for the delays, I really don't care.  I too want to release a complete product, and that's what I set out to do in the art department.

We're really close anyways guys, and we'll have some exciting content to show soon.  December timeframe.

unknown.png

This game looks good.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nobleempire.corsair

If you love the Corsair you'll love the detail of this...

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Park.htm

• Like 2

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

The detail is incredible, even down to the animated suspension and flexible hoses on the brake system. 

It’s a far cry from the wheels just bouncing up and down around the axles as they did in sims only a few years back. Then people ask why these modules take so long to develop 🤔

• Like 5