DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Im gonna repost something i posted in the Speculation Thread.

Its the IRL Armament Options for the AJS 37 and what pylons can use what.

Ofc we have to wait and see wich of these things we will get.

AJS 37 is gonna be awsome.

Its the most capable one.

Il give some Slight backstory / info about the AJS Variant for those unfamiliar with it.

In 1992 a Limited Upgrade the was started for all the viggen variants but the fighter variant to give them more of a multirole capabillity

For the AJ-37 (attack variant) this was mostly a weapon systems upgrade.

For one Allowing it to Use new weapons like the BK 90 the RB-15 Anti ship missile aswell as the abillity to use the Aim-9L of the JA-37

(though the Aim-9L upgrade came in the second batch of upgrades in 96 along with the BK90)

To allow the use of the new weapons some of the Aircrafts Computer systems where upgraded..

The other change was that alot of the Pylons where rewired to allow more of the pylons to use the different Ordnance options.

For example before the AJS upgrade in 92 only 2 of the viggens Pylons could carry the AGM-65 (RB 75 in swedish service) but after the AJS upgrade that was upped to 4 pylons being AGM-65 capable.

aswell only 2 pylons could use the Aim-9 missiles but after the upgrade all 6 where Aim-9 capable. (AIM-9P3 to start with but in 96 Aim-9L)

AJSHF37_Bev-stor.jpg

This is a Small Diagram of the different weapons and the pylons they use.

Its not extremly reasy to read =P but hey.

The weapons in Black are the ones avalible for that specific pylon before the upgrade and white are the additional pylons that can now use that weapon.

These are the translations for the weapon designations.

Il start from the Top down.

Luftmålsvapen (weapons that can be used in the Air-Air Role)

Akankapslar = Gunpods

RB 24J = Aim-9P3 (RB 24 is the Aim-9B but it was retired in the late 70s)

RB 74 = Aim-9L

RB 05A is a Swedish Mclos Air-Ground missile that could also be used against slowmoving air targets (Helos)

AttackVapen = Air to Ground Ordnance

ARAK = Rocket pods (with ÖRAK being Practice rockets)

Spräng/ÖvnBomber = HE / Practice Bombs

(Unguided 120kg bombs of wich 16 could be carried)

Lysbomber = Ilumination Bombs

RB 75 = AGM 65

RB 04E = Long range Fire and forget Anti-Ship Sissile from the mid 70s

RB 15F = Very Long range Fire and forget Anti-Ship Missile Entered service in the late 80s

BK = Short for BK 90 also known as DWS 24 (or DWS 39) wich is a Gliding Stand-off Cluster Bomb Comparable to the US AGM-154 JSOW.

Since its early on we dont know wich of these are given and wich are not.

Id say all but the BK 90 and Aim-9L are given since those 2 came with the 96 AJS variant.

The BK 90 would be one of the most Capable weapons in the game with

With a Range between 8km when launched at tree top level to outwards of 30+km at altitudes of above 6000m.

In whatever the Form the AJS 37 arrives in im hyped.

Im happy its the AJS 37 more for the increased Choice of Pylons then for a potential BK-90.

But yea the Viggen is gonna be an effective and very interesting aircraft with some interesting Munitions (RB 05 and BK90 Especially)

Edited by mattebubben

Also, Cobra, do me a solid.

As a boy growing up in Texas, the Viggen was one of my favorites as a kid. How does an American boy fall in love with the Viggen?

145075-11185.jpg

This is how. We need this as a livery. :music_whistling:

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Also, Cobra, do me a solid.

As a boy growing up in Texas, the Viggen was one of my favorites as a kid. How does an American boy fall in love with the Viggen?

145075-11185.jpg

This is how. We need this as a livery. :music_whistling:

So that's how the Viggen has grown so popular amongst westerners?

You got it. ;)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This is a pretty amazing video. You can literally see the point at which the PIC notices his wife.

Same trick in better quality (especially the sound):

The landing commences around

I'm amazed it can turn around that way.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I wonder if it really is popular though. I'm not sure I'd even heard of it prior to the giant speculation thread. It quickly became clear to me and many others that it was the most likely "modern" plane, but that isn't the same as being highly desired. I could go either way on it tbh. The plane itself is a footnote in military aviation, but it might be fun on 104th regardless.

Anyone who can fill us in regardin cockpit/avionics upgrades of the AJS compared to the AJ? Does it have any other displays than the AJ?

Isn't there an AJS in F4 BMS? Anyone who can take a look?

BTW, I'm astounded how hard it is to find info on this on the Web...

Anyone who can fill us in regardin cockpit/avionics upgrades of the AJS compared to the AJ? Does it have any other displays than the AJ?

Isn't there an AJS in F4 BMS? Anyone who can take a look?

BTW, I'm astounded how hard it is to find info on this on the Web...

The AJS mainly was a systems upgrade in terms of electronics and weapon loadout capability, there was little or no difference in the cockpit compared to the AJ as far as I'm aware. :-)

The radar is better than the one in the AJ, it's more or less the same capability of that used in the previous recon variants, since it was now to be used for radar recon missions. It could however not cart any camera pods like the previous dedicated recon variants could. :-)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

AJS-37 is gonna be awsome.

Its the most capable one.

Il give some Slight backstory / info about the AJS Variant for those unfamiliar with it.

In 1992 a Limited Upgrade the was started for all the viggen variants but the fighter variant to give them more of a multirole capabillity

For the AJ-37 (attack variant) this was mostly a weapon systems upgrade.

For one Allowing it to Use new weapons like the BK 90 the RB-15 Anti ship missile aswell as the abillity to use the Aim-9L of the JA-37

(though the Aim-9L upgrade came in the second batch of upgrades in 96 along with the BK90)

To allow the use of the new weapons some of the Aircrafts Computer systems where upgraded.

The other change was that alot of the Pylons where rewired to allow more of the pylons to use the different Ordnance options.

For example before the AJS upgrade in 92 only 2 of the viggens Pylons could carry the AGM-65 (RB-75 in swedish service) but after the AJS upgrade that was upped to 4 pylons being AGM-65 capable.

aswell only 2 pylons could use the Aim-9 missiles but after the upgrade all 6 where Aim-9 capable. (AIM-9P3 to start with but in 96 Aim-9L)

AJSHF37_Bev-stor.jpg

This is a Small Diagram of the different weapons and the pylons they use.

Its not extremly reasy to read =P but hey.

The weapons in Black are the ones avalible for that specific pylon before the upgrade and white are the additional pylons that can now use that weapon.

These are the translations for the weapon designations.

Il start from the Top down.

Luftmålsvapen (weapons that can be used in the Air-Air Role)

Akankapslar = Gunpods

RB 24J = Aim-9P3 (RB 24 is the Aim-9B but it was retired in the late 70s)

RB 74 = Aim-9L

RB 05A is a Swedish Mclos Air-Ground missile that could also be used against slowmoving air targets (Helos)

AttackVapen = Air to Ground Ordnance

ARAK = Rocket pods (with ÖRAK being Practice rockets)

Spräng/ÖvnBomber = HE / Practice Bombs

(Unguided 120kg bombs of wich 16 could be carried)

Lysbomber = Ilumination Bombs

RB-75 = AGM 65

RB 04E = Long range Fire and forget Anti-Ship Sissile from the mid 70s

RB 15F = Very Long range Fire and forget Anti-Ship Missile Entered service in the late 80s

BK = Short for BK 90 also known as DWS 24 (or DWS 39) wich is a Gliding Stand-off Cluster Bomb Comparable to the US AGM-154 JSOW.

Since its early on we dont know wich of these are given and wich are not.

Id say all but the BK 90 and Aim-9L are given since those 2 came with the 96 AJS variant.

The BK 90 would be one of the most Capable weapons in the game with

With a Range between 8km when launched at tree top level to outwards of 30+km at altitudes of above 6000m.

In whatever the Form the AJS 37 arrives in im hyped.

Im happy its the AJS 37 more for the increased Choice of Pylons then for a potential BK-90.

But yea the Viggen is gonna be an effective and very interesting aircraft with some interesting Munitions (RB 05 and BK90 Especially)

Does the viggen have radar guided air to air missiles? (like an AMRAAM, AIM-7, R77, R27ER etc)

And if it has a radar, can it be used to scan the ground?

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Does the viggen have radar guided air to air missiles? (like an AMRAAM, AIM-7, R77, R27ER etc)

Yes and no.

The Viggen isn't really multi-role in the full sense of the word. There are variants dedicated to different tasks, and LN is working on the attack variant. It lacks the advanced pulse doppler radar and radar guided missiles that the interceptor variant has. It's radar is made for air to ground operations. The only air to air weapons it carries are sidewinders.

The interceptor variant (JA) which we aren't getting had a pulse doppler radar capable of tracking several targets at the same time, with look down shoot down capability. It carried sidewinders and skyflash (similar to AIM-7) missiles, and late variants even carried the AIM-120 AMRAAM.

Edited by Brisse

Yes The radar has an Air-Ground Mode making it the first Air-Ground Radar in DCS.

And While the radar also has an Air-Air mode its not able to employ Radar Guided missiles thats left up to the JA-37 Fighter Variant.

Compare the Viggen with a Tornado with there both being a attack/bomber and a Fighter Variant on the same airframe but neither is made to do both.

Edited by mattebubben

Same trick in better quality (especially the sound):

The landing commences around

I'm amazed it can turn around that way.

It's an impressive feat. Simple enough. I do, however, worry that we won't be able to utilize that capability with the Viggen to its fullest

And, this is something out of LNS' hands, I'd imagine. DCS Ground handling is pretty naff at times and we, currently, can't start on a highway.

I'm hoping this is changed or any Scandinavian map that is included with the Viggen (if it's included in the plan of releasing a theatre with aircraft) has some form of workaround for this.

Being able to operate from a highway would be so great.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

It's an impressive feat. Simple enough. I do, however, worry that we won't be able to utilize that capability with the Viggen to its fullest

First: with an EFM you can specify a force in any direction you want, so it won't be a problem for the player aircraft. There is no way to specify reverse thrust for SFM planes so that might be a problem for AI (maybe they will work with ED on a solution to that).

Second: since Leatherneck is developing the map, they should be able to specify an airstrip anywhere they want, including highways. DCS doesn't allow mission creators to cold start airplanes anywhere they want, but map creation is an entirely different thing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First: with an EFM you can specify a force in any direction you want, so it won't be a problem for the player aircraft. There is no way to specify reverse thrust for SFM planes so that might be a problem for AI (maybe they will work with ED on a solution to that).

Second: since Leatherneck is developing the map, they should be able to specify an airstrip anywhere they want, including highways. DCS doesn't allow mission creators to cold start airplanes anywhere they want, but map creation is an entirely different thing.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Having areas where you can cold start for highway take offs would be great.