DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

I think it's great we're finally getting a supersonic strike aircraft for DCS and if they do actually include a new theater then that's great as well. I'd probably be more interested in the theater than the Viggen itself though. My problem with the Viggen is it's a jet that's never actually been used in combat and has no place outside a fictional conflict between Sweden and Russia.

A strike jet like the Tornado would have been a much better choice in my personal opinion. It's flown by multiple countries around the world, has been used in several real world conflicts and easily fits into any modern theater or scenario. These jets have to compete for my time to learn them and for that reason the Viggen is out for me. Just not enough interest in learning that air frame for me to devote the time.

I think something like a Jaguar, Mig-27 or Su-22 (Su-17) would be more likley then a Tornado and would all be very interesting even though i love the viggen id probably say that something like a Su-22m4 would have been better overall since it fits the game better.

But the Viggen is gonna be awsome even if slightly out of place in the current theaters.

What will be the most out of place is having AJS-37s on both sides in MP battles =P.

Since while it would be in the realm of plausabillity to have sweden send aircraft overseas to partake in an action (supporting nato) it will be weird to have it on both sides since it was never exported.

But then again that thing alreay exists with the A-10.

Maby we will get something like this xD.

maxresdefault.jpg

Id rather see them make some ficticious export skins instead of a "ussr skin"

Some skins that are atleast Semi-Plausible.

Since when sweden retired the AJS-37s in year 2000 they could have kept on going but sweden was downsizing (way to much)

So its plausibe (and maby we should have) that some of the Used AJ-37s could have been sold.

So they could make some Fictional skins to show such a "alternate" timeline.

Why so many negative attitude? LNS does not owe you a thing? Viggen is their choice and choice I very much love! IF you don't like move on. Did you all miss the many many hints to the viggen be the choice?

How this plane not have place in DCS world? It blows things up on ground and air, that is only requirement! It also would have been a important jet in cold war scenarios

to LNS- I hope in future you will consider NOT doing surprise release, as many seem to get wrong expectations then dissapointment, which takes away from those who are happy! No more secret plane!

When did I state that LNS owes me something? I understand how much time and effort goes into these modules and I support LNS in producing the Viggen if that's their choice. Any new jets and theaters coming to DCS is a good thing. I personally am not that interested in the jet. However, If they release a cold war scenario/theater that includes the F-14B then I'll be all over that. :smilewink:

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

Cant wait for it. Especially with a Swedish east coast theater, using anti ship missiles against Soviet landing crafts, basically what the AJ-37 was made for

I will finally be able to buy a DCS plane that exist where I come from. I thought this day would never come :D

I think something like a Jaguar, Mig-27 or Su-22 (Su-17) would be more likley then a Tornado and would all be very interesting even though i love the viggen id probably say that something like a Su-22m4 would have been better overall since it fits the game better.

But the Viggen is gonna be awsome even if slightly out of place in the current theaters.

What will be the most out of place is having AJS-37s on both sides in MP battles =P.

Since while it would be in the realm of plausabillity to have sweden send aircraft overseas to partake in an action (supporting nato) it will be weird to have it on both sides since it was never exported.

But then again that thing alreay exists with the A-10.

Maby we will get something like this xD.

maxresdefault.jpg

Id rather see them make some ficticious export skins instead of a "ussr skin"

Some skins that are atleast Semi-Plausible.

Since when sweden retired the AJS-37s in year 2000 they could have kept on going but sweden was downsizing (way to much)

So its plausibe (and maby we should have) that some of the Used AJ-37s could have been sold.

So they could make some Fictional skins to show such a "alternate" timeline.

But we do already have all craft on both sides on many server, and even WW2 and Korea with modern jet!

Viggen will be great addition to multiplayer, and will do strike role with less vunarbility than such planes as A-10, SU 25

Pretty sure a AJ37 Viggen got a maneuver kill on a soviet jet

There where multiple incidents where Soviet aircraft hit the water while jockeying with swedish aircraft.

both with the Viggen and the J-35 Draken.

There where Plenty of encounters between swedish and Soviet in international water.

And numerous losses from aircraft hitting the water.

Ive heard multiple stories including from pilots (a child Hood Friend of my father was a Viggen pilot and he has some stories to tell)

He has one story of an encounter with a Mig-23 that ended with the Mig entering a stall and hitting the waves (no chute his guess was the pilot blacked out as they where manuvering pretty hard)

so that could be considerd a manuver kill.

Its probably difficult to know the exact number of nature of incidents that occured during the cold war since most of it was pretty hush hush.

Edited by mattebubben

This is amazing news to me. The Viggen will be a day one purchase for sure, and together with a new theater this could very well be the best package yet in DCS. I'm especially excited because the Mig-21 has set the bar so high (both cockpit wise and an amazing flight model). This will be awesome!

Ah yes, the infamous MiG-26

6xY2nCL.png

Viggen looks rather fetching in that scheme.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I'll so need a Rainbow Dash skin for this plane as soon as we'll have it... 'tis probably the most appropriate plane named Thunderbolt for a fast wonderbolt :)

mmmmmmmmmmkay

giphy.gif

• Like 1

My Specs:

Win 10 Pro 64bit/ i7 6770K 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4/ GTX 1070 SC/Samsung SSD

Warthog Stick/TWCS Throttle/TrackIR 5

I think it's great we're finally getting a supersonic strike aircraft for DCS and if they do actually include a new theater then that's great as well. I'd probably be more interested in the theater than the Viggen itself though. My problem with the Viggen is it's a jet that's never actually been used in combat and has no place outside a fictional conflict between Sweden and Russia.

A strike jet like the Tornado would have been a much better choice in my personal opinion. It's flown by multiple countries around the world, has been used in several real world conflicts and easily fits into any modern theater or scenario. These jets have to compete for my time to learn them and for that reason the Viggen is out for me. Just not enough interest in learning that air frame for me to devote the time.

A fictional conflict between Sweden and Russia involving the Viggen? Well the F14 scenarios will be fictional as well. It didn't see any real conflict with Russia either. The scenarios have to be fictional. But that doesn't bother you.

Let me place a bet here. You won't buy the mod at first. You will watch YouTube videos over and over again and you ll see reviews praising LNS for their work and you end up buying :) that's my bet :)

• Like 1

+1. Another random jet that has no place in any existing or planned theaters. I think it's great someone is finally developing a strike aircraft but this was a strange choice indeed.

That would be true for any other dev, but when you buy a LNS module you'll also get;

- a proper map that comes with the module

- fitting period AI units that comes with the module

- campaign set in the new theater with the module

So there is no need to worry that it won't fit, cause it will. :)

A fictional conflict between Sweden and Russia involving the Viggen? Well the F14 scenarios will be fictional as well. It didn't see any real conflict with Russia either. The scenarios have to be fictional. But that doesn't bother you.

Let me place a bet here. You won't buy the mod at first. You will watch YouTube videos over and over again and you ll see reviews praising LNS for their work and you end up buying :) that's my bet :)

F-14 scenarios don't have to be fictional. It fought an 8 year long symmetric air war against a mix of Soviet and French equipment in the 1980's. It just wasn't USN pilots doing the fighting.;) It also served in a defensive role during the 1991 Gulf War. Admittedly it didn't see much action there, but it was present in substantial numbers.

As for the Viggen, it's selling point will be youtube I think. It's too obscure of an aircraft to have mass appeal no matter how vocal people here are. With that said, I think I'm more likely to buy the Viggen than the F-14. I'm not a fan of two seat fighters and the Viggen has some interesting capabilities from a team death match standpoint.

You and my wife, good lord, I can't escape it. :megalol:

Why would you want to? dealwithit.png

My brother has that bug too. I fear that it may be contagious...

It's not a bug it's a feature rainbowdashwink.png

BTW just took the Viggen for a ride... we definately need a new sim and thanks to LNS we'll finally get that one! salute.png

fb-viggen-01.jpg.95d42130b99aed7cfd2d11c5f3723959.jpg

fb-viggen-02.jpg.8fb35f2170821710660b5c11914a06fd.jpg

fb-viggen-03.jpg.28f2e176e009aea6020d082b4b3fa779.jpg

fb-viggen-04.jpg.f707bbcf987664738181833b2946bacc.jpg

fb-viggen-05.jpg.ba49326297ca84e921212a5512fbd793.jpg

fb-viggen-06.jpg.b0416b6eb88baeaa708daf806cc65062.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'm afraid there are no girls in the DCS community :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg