DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

"Fixtagning" means updating the inertial navigation system's position by checking the distance and bearing to a known target with a known location (usually a radar reflector or beacon).

Yes, I have seen several references to a radar reflector at one of the Öland lighthouses that was used frequently for updating the navigation system (before going out over the Baltic sea).

So ive been doing some research into the weapons that the AJ / AJS viggen could carry, and so far ive only seen mention of the Maverick A model, anyone know if the B was also carryable. Kinda would be nice to have zoom functionality

I may very well be wrong here, but wasn't the Rb 75 the AGM-65B?

Edit: Looking at a book i have, the Rb 75 is described as the AGM-65A/B so it's likely we used both at one point or another.

Edited by Skjold

I may very well be wrong here, but wasn't the Rb 75 the AGM-65B?

The swedish Missiles where orderd in 75 and delivered between 77-78

(500 atleast were purchased)

There might have been additional purchases or upgrades later but thats the only order i can find mention off.

the AGM-65B started Development in 75 and was not deployed untill 78-80

So im leaning towards AGM-65As but maby a mix of the two.

But ontop of the Normal RB 75 we also had Different variant of the RB 75 that was included in the same batch called RB 75T (T as in Tung meaning heavy) it had a heavier warhead the same as those (atleast as big as) found on the later AGM-65 E,F,G,J and K variants but i cant find any mention if the seeker is also different or just the warhead.

And while its possible that sweden orderd more missiles after that first batch in the late 70s i have not found anything about it.

Those anyone know about the Life span of the AGM-65s?

RB 75 continued to see service on the JAS-39A/B variants and where in use up untill just a few years ago (2012 when the A/B where fully replaced by the Jas-39C/D)

My guess would be the RB 75s where reaching their life limit and it was decided to retire them instead of adapting the C/D variant to carrying them

(Export Gripens carry the AGM-65 in multiple nations including Hungary and Thailand)

So is it possible missiles acquired in 1977 where still in use 2012 (and could probably have gone on a few years longer)

Edit: Looking at a book i have, the Rb 75 is described as the AGM-65A/B so it's likely we used both at one point or another.

Edit: well the thing is the AGM-65A/B are often stacked together as they where the first Maverick type and they used the same Electro optical seeker (where all the later variants used different seeker types)

So the fact that the RB 75 is described as a A/B does not really prove it was a mix of the two types it might just signify that it had the Electro Optical seeker (so i had to be a A or a B)

Its very possible we had both but i (sadly) dont think that its proof we have both =(

(even though i would very much want to have a B instead of just a A)

We will have to wait and see and keep searching for more evidence either way.

Edited by mattebubben

Also kinda curious how the ground radar was used, I see a couple posts up it was mentioned that you cant select targets. Was kinda hoping you could use the ground radar to at least help with accuracy for CCRP bomb drops.

Also trying to figure out how you designated where the BK90 was to glide off towards. Since the webpage I was reading mentioned it could glide like 5 km off to the side of the aircraft.

Also trying to figure out how you designated where the BK90 was to glide off towards. Since the webpage I was reading mentioned it could glide like 5 km off to the side of the aircraft.

Afaik you can punch in coordinates into the INU mid flight to target the BK90. There were some posts about it earlier in this thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Afaik you can punch in coordinates into the INU mid flight to target the BK90. There were some posts about it earlier in this thread.

Yep, exactly. You can punch target latitude/longitude coordinates, cruise altitude and dispense altitude in on the data entry panel. Normally you'd want to pre-program it on the ground, though.

Also kinda curious how the ground radar was used, I see a couple posts up it was mentioned that you cant select targets. Was kinda hoping you could use the ground radar to at least help with accuracy for CCRP bomb drops.

IIRC the radar had a ranging mode where it would measure the range to the target and the computer would in turn calculate the proper release point for optimum accuracy but i dont know if this mode was also used in CCRP bombing.

Im gonna read some more about the matter.

Yep, exactly. You can punch target latitude/longitude coordinates, cruise altitude and dispense altitude in on the data entry panel. Normally you'd want to pre-program it on the ground, though.

Most of it most likley would have but it was probably usefull to be able to do changes mid flight if new information came in (like if the target had moved slightly or if the old information was mistaken etc)

Edited by mattebubben

Someone is going to make at least one Viggen tutorial on Youtube as the Muppets' Swedish Chef.

..and it will probably be me.

Well, you might as well just do it in Swedish, most people won't know the difference anyway! ;-)

Does anyone know how many flares / chaff there is in one of the Countermeasure pods that is used by the viggen.

ive been going through the manual and ive only found referance to how many seconds/minutes it would take in the different release modes before it would run out but no count on how much the pod contains.

Edited by mattebubben

i had a swedish friend of mine dig around on the net, but no joy.

you'd probably have to take a trip down to a government office and grab copies of technical manuals to get a count, though you can maybe ballpark it if you got the deploy rate and referenced the weight of the flare bundle + the weight of the pod.

Im waiting official screen or vid for viggen.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

This page claims 540 chaff packets and 28 flares in Kapsel B but who knows if it's accurate.

The 28 flares per pod seems plausible but the 540 chaff packets seems very high =P.

But the 28 flares per pod is not horrible especially since you can carry 2 countermeassure pods if you want to sacrifice another weapons pylons.

But im also not sure but it might be more then 28 it might be as high as 56 per pod.

The Pod seems to have 14 "Sockets" to hold Flare Cartridges.

Each Cartridge would hold 2 Flares that brings it to 28 flares per pod.

But the other Flare pods used by sweden (that used the same flare cartridges) and was smaller to boot held 2 cartridges per socket so that could double amount of flares possible to 56 instead of 28.

But il keep looking for info tomorrow =P.

For now im off to bed.

The 28 flares per pod seems plausible but the 540 chaff packets seems very high =P.

But the 28 flares per pod is not horrible especially since you can carry 2 countermeassure pods if you want to sacrifice another weapons pylons.

But im also not sure but it might be more then 28 it might be as high as 56 per pod.

The Pod seems to have 14 "Sockets" to hold Flare Cartridges.

Each Cartridge would hold 2 Flares that brings it to 28 flares per pod.

But the other Flare pods used by sweden (that used the same flare cartridges) and was smaller to boot held 2 cartridges per socket so that could double amount of flares possible to 56 instead of 28.

But il keep looking for info tomorrow =P.

For now im off to bed.

Hm, that pod referred to in that Italian page says 325 kg, but in the SFI document it says a total weight of 255 kg.

I also found this document (yet another one in Swedish) that is really interesting - however not adding any details about the chaff amount.

[ame]http://www.vikingroost.org/pdf/MMrapport__utg_2.pdf[/ame]

Hm, that pod referred to in that Italian page says 325 kg, but in the SFI document it says a total weight of 255 kg.

I also found this document (yet another one in Swedish) that is really interesting - however not adding any details about the chaff amount.

http://www.vikingroost.org/pdf/MMrapport__utg_2.pdf

well The Boz 100 family of pods have different variants for the diffrent nations.

The Swedish pod differs from the pod used by germany and the german pod differs from the british and the british pod differs from italy.

They are not all identical just very similar.

So the number of Chaff / flare they can carry does not have to be the same.

The German pod is the Boz-101 Italian is Boz-102 and british is Boz-107.

Sweden did not use the name Boz for the designation of the pod we used (on the Viggen)

The Swedish KB Pod came first.

And then the Boz 100 family was made from it for Export customers.

well The Boz 100 family of pods have different variants for the diffrent nations.

The Swedish pod differs from the pod used by germany and the german pod differs from the british and the british pod differs from italy.

They are not all identical just very similar.

So the number of Chaff / flare they can carry does not have to be the same.

The German pod is the Boz-101 Italian is Boz-102 and british is Boz-107.

Sweden did not use the name Boz for the designation of the pod we used (on the Viggen)

The Swedish KB Pod came first.

And then the Boz 100 family was made from it for Export customers.

Yes, I found some information about that the abbreviations was a result of the military deliveries within the Arenco company needed to be kept secret.

[ame]http://www.fht.nu/Dokument/Flygvapnet/forsv_elektro/Arenco/arenco_140811.pdf[/ame]

Arenco.png.6c218043eabf535269a9e6b9a7519343.png

Edited by BravoYankee4
Added link to surce document