DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

but yea the map is most likley gonna be smaller then that.

But im still hoping for a map that has a part of the swedish coast (with atleast one or 2 airfield and some road strips) Gotland and then an "enemy" coast.

Probably Kaliningrad or perhaps Latvia (even though in the 90s that territory was friendly but hey we dont know how fictional the scenario will be)

But as already stated this is all speculations and we will have to wait and see.

But then again they are most likley already working on the map so any choices will have been already made.

Im just curious for what it will be.

Does anyone remember the cold war map from Tornado? That was pretty small but detailed (for the time) but contained a good spread of targets, road airfields and natural features. A similar map would be great for Viggen and Cold War NATO / Warsaw Pact aircraft. Perhaps the map could have pre placed targets and a complete set of training missions from basic flight, weapon employment (with a2g range features/scoring) and advanced multi aircraft missions, then once you've completed these, an awesome euro campaign. You don't have to do all the training to get access to missions, so, no grind.

Man if that was the actual map size that would be amazing...

I could bomb my own house...Oh what a dream.

I'd pay good money to be able to carpet bomb my current town of residence and have the ability to reload and do it all over again.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

But we still dont know what kinda map they are making just speculation.

And something like this

That's the map I expected...more or less, (maybe not so far inland Sweden, but certainly the whole east coast part).

It doesn't have to be as detailed as NTTR map.

It also has to be appealing to non-Swedes, for different cold-war scenarios, versatility & it has to sell.

I hope that's what we'll get.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Man if that was the actual map size that would be amazing...

I could bomb my own house...Oh what a dream.

I'd pay good money to be able to carpet bomb my current town of residence and have the ability to reload and do it all over again.

:megalol::megalol: :megalol:

Anyway... do we have a feeling for what the community wants? Does everything have to be as detailed as Las Vegas or are people fine with low-detail towns/cities and geographical features in exchange for larger maps? I don't think I've seen a poll about that.

Edited by emg

That's the map I expected...more or less, (maybe not so far inland Sweden, but certainly the whole east coast part).

It doesn't have to be as detailed as NTTR map.

It also has to be appealing to non-Swedes, for different cold-war scenarios, versatility & it has to sell.

I hope that's what we'll get.

Only reason i went so far inland on it was to get one of the Main bases for the AJS-37 Units.

Only one is close to the coast but its alot further north. 385 km north of gotland)

so F6 Karlsborg is the closest one to gotland and most suitable to the map (north western corner of the "map")

Since if ur gonna make the AJS-37 it would make sense to try to include a home base of atleast one AJ(AJS)37 unit.

Edited by mattebubben

The "arcipellego", might not spell correct here, and Stockholm, Åland (Aaland), South Finland and the bay into Russia as Northen perimeter, Inland to the West at least Västerås (Vaesteraas as a Wester boarder, East all the way to Petrozavodsk and a simulare length to the sout would be North Polen and all the Baltic Counrys would be in. This would give us a spectable areana to play at, could do a 4 front war around the Baltic states...well I Dream :) and hope, but if they serious about their World goal, it's a start for the Nothen Hemisphere. Other is North Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia, with South Arctic sea. Was a scenario done in that area for some F/A-18 sim earlier if my old memory is correct.

Aircrafts tha existed in theese areas at the 90's, all russian Migs and SU's, F/A-18C in Finland, JA/AJ-37 (Thunderbolt),JA/AJ-35 (Dragon). Today we got the JAS-39 Gripen

Not sure how big the maps can be in DCS but hopefully they work on it to be no borders... like FSX ... the World :)

Back to the pit,

Regards

M

Other is North Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia, with South Arctic sea. Was a scenario done in that area for some F/A-18 sim earlier if my old memory is correct.

Correct. The sim you are thinking of is Jane's F/A-18.

DCS producer Matt Wagner was involved in it's development. You can hear his voice in a lot of places in Jane's F/A-18, just like in DCS :)

I don't have anything interesting to say in this interesting discussion so I'll just post nice photos instead. :D

I can't wait to look around in this cockpit in DCS.

1559362.jpg

Thats not a AJS-37 thought (variant we are getting)

Its a SH-37 wich would make it a AJSH37 with the 90s upgrade.

This is the AJS-37 cockpit.

2276741.jpg

The big give away is to the right of the hud.

On the AJ/AJS-37 there is a Visual display there (for the Mavericks)

And on ur picture there is something else (a small display with some buttons?)

the SH-37 was the naval Recce variant (Has the same radar as was later mounted on the AJS-37)

This is the only image of the Ep-13 I've found with it turned "on".

It's from the "AJS 37" manual (part 1, chapter 1) linked earlier in this thread.

nqjooSO.jpg

EDIT

I made a quick photoshop to show how I think it might look like when looking at a target, based on the image above.

VFutuZg.jpg

Edited by MYSE1234

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Holy crap, it's nearly Q2.... LNS or Polychop please hit us with an announcement soon.... I am dying here!

We're halfway through Q1 with 45 days to go to Q2. :P

We're working on it -- hang tight.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

At this point, we honestly are just desperate to throw money at the presage if nothing else.... We are hangin as best we know how!!!

Speak for yourself, I brought my truck, a lawn chair and a keg, I gave up hanging and have decided to just enjoy watching y'all hold on.

Speak for yourself, I brought my truck, a lawn chair and a keg, I gave up hanging and have decided to just enjoy watching y'all hold on.
watching eager people hold on is ever more pitiful than being one of those eager people desperately holding on :lol::lol:

This is the only image of the Ep-13 I've found with it turned "on".

It's from the "AJS 37" manual (part 1, chapter 1) linked earlier in this thread.

EDIT

I made a quick photoshop to show how I think it might look like when looking at a target, based on the image above.

VFutuZg.jpg

I still don't get how that thing is supposed to look. I mena, Saab has this to say about it:

Virtual Image Display (VID)

The Maverick air-to-ground missile was

integrated in the Viggen system during the

1970`s. There was no space for the TV

rangefinder on the instrument panel in the

cockpit, which the pilot needed to lock

on targets.

The solution to this problem was the Virtual

Image Display, which was installed to the

right of the HUD. Another term used for

VID is HLD – Head Level Display. The VID

contains of HUD related optics without

reflecting glass and 90 degree prism, and the

optics presents a virtual picture which gives

the pilot the impression of a larger screen

floating in the air at a comfortable distance.

An important characteristic of VID is that a

picture watched on distance is much easier

to read in turbulent and shaky environment

compared to an image featured in the instru

-

ment panel. This makes VID excellent also in

ground combat vehicles.

And I'm like, where on earth does it project the image?

Is it projected inside the tube, so you're looking into the aperture there? If so, you're still seeing it as if it's just a tiny screen but with the added benefit mentioned my Saab, that it's more comfortable to look at?

It's just kind of underwhelming if it's just an image in a tube when it has "virtual" in the name...

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I get it.

Edited by Jerkzilla