DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Yes on BK-90.

Yes on zoomed AGM-65's

Happy to hear about the BK-90, while I would have bought the Viggen regardless, I believe it gives the aircraft one more unique sellingpoint.

(Anti-shipping and being totally awesome being the other two)

Missed that, thank you Sir!

That´s a neat setup.

There is a lot of information/data to digest in this thread and a lot of people having good insight in both the airframe and the doctrines sharing that. So we have good possibilities to be prepared for this module when released and enjoying all systems from day one :)

After that post with the RWR PDF there are two more about the countermeasure pods (if you haven't seen them yet).

Yes on BK-90.

Yes on zoomed AGM-65's

Awesome! Can you say if you have been able to confirm that the Viggen actually did support the zoom functionality on the AGM-65's or is it more a case of giving it the benefit of the doubt?

The manual states that the Maverick display shows a 5 degree picture, and compared with other modules in DCS that's pretty zoomed out making it slightly difficult to use (it's almost no zoom at all). In a simulator it's even more difficult to use than IRL I believe. Not sure if the B-version was ever purchased or carried but it might have been at least plausible that it could have been carried. So it would be included for playability reasons.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

The manual states that the Maverick display shows a 5 degree picture, and compared with other modules in DCS that's pretty zoomed out making it slightly difficult to use (it's almost no zoom at all). In a simulator it's even more difficult to use than IRL I believe. Not sure if the B-version was ever purchased or carried but it might have been at least plausible that it could have been carried. So it would be included for playability reasons.

Oh so it's a fixed zoom? I thought it would be variable which is why I wondered if the plane itself had controls for zooming in/out.

yea anti ship was one of the most important roles if the enemy decided to come over sea.

Since the best way to defend sweden was to prevent them from landing in force.

And it was alot easier and effective to sink / destroy the enemy equipment in the Transport ships / landing craft then it would have been once they landed and could disperse.

There was 2 main plans of defense (possible invasions paths by the soviets)

One was a focused invasion by sea and air into eastern / southern sweden / gotland.

In that Scenario the anti ship role would have been the most important (atleast early on)

And the other Scenario was a two pronged attack with the main force cutting through finland and invading sweden from the north with a secondary attack over the ocean.

In that case the viggen would have seen more air-ground duties against an invading land army.

We must also remember that the Swedish armed forces leadership was fully aware of that Sweden could never win a war if the Soviets decided to invade full scale. In 1970 Sweden had a total population of approx 8.000.000 so anyone could take an educated guess on how long it would take to wear us down simply by facing us with a "meat wall" of Soviet troops.

The whole idea behind the Swedish defence was to make an invasion attempt so costly in men and materials so that the Soviets would think twice before trying. And the AJS37 fits into this doctrine pretty well. Hit hard, escape and (hopefully) live to fight another day.

I served in Kustartilleriet (the Swedish coastal defence forces with both marine infantry and fixed and mobile artillery emplacements - I belonged to the marine infantry) in 1990/91 on the northern Baltic coast. Our artillery spotters trained on how to identify troop carrying vessels so that no ammo would be wasted on other ships.

All this talk about a about a Soviet invasion makes me think of a story (a true one) that a friend of mine told me. In 1989 he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Swedish Airforce and trained new recruits. In every exercise there were talks about "enemy from the East", "when the Russians arrive" and "when the Soviets attack". At one point a recruit got a bit annoyed (probably because of his personal political beliefs) and shouted "there is always talk about the enemy attacking from the east. The enemy might as well come from the west?!?". A seasoned Major replied: "Of course soldier! They can attack from the west. But it will be a helluva detour for them!".

Found this article in a Swedish newspaper about Soviet invasion maps which is pretty interesting: http://www.svd.se/svenska-byggnader-som-markts-ut-pa-sovjets-kartor_4502746

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

We must also remember that the Swedish armed forces leadership was fully aware of that Sweden could never win a war if the Soviets decided to invade full scale. In 1970 Sweden had a total population of approx 8.000.000 so anyone could take an educated guess on how long it would take to wear us down simply by facing us with a "meat wall" of Soviet troops.

The whole idea behind the Swedish defence was to make an invasion attempt so costly in men and materials so that the Soviets would think twice before trying. And the AJS37 fits into this doctrine pretty well. Hit hard, escape and (hopefully) live to fight another day.

I served in Kustartilleriet (the Swedish coastal defence forces with both marine infantry and fixed and mobile artillery emplacements - I belonged to the marine infantry) in 1990/91 on the northern Baltic coast. Our artillery spotters trained on how to identify troop carrying vessels so that no ammo would be wasted on other ships.

All this talk about a about a Soviet invasion makes me think of a story (a true one) that a friend of mine told me. In 1989 he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Swedish Airforce and trained new recruits. In every exercise there were talks about "enemy from the East", "when the Russians arrive" and "when the Soviets attack". At one point a recruit got a bit annoyed (probably because of his personal political beliefs) and shouted "there is always talk about the enemy attacking from the east. The enemy might as well come from the west?!?". A seasoned Major replied: "Of course soldier! They can attack from the west. But it will be a helluva detour for them!".

Found this article in a Swedish newspaper about Soviet invasion maps which is pretty interesting: http://www.svd.se/svenska-byggnader-som-markts-ut-pa-sovjets-kartor_4502746

Were where you stationed?

What Coastal Regiment?

MKN/KA5 Härnösand. Later stationed on Holmögadd.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

MKN/KA5 Härnösand. Later stationed on Holmögadd.

Cool.

Im born and raised in Härnösand.

And my Grandfather worked at KA-5 between 1968 and 1998.

During most of that time he worked within the supply/storage section.

And as such he brought home some nice toys now and then =)

Härnösand is a nice town. Had a lot of fun there - especially at a place called Cafe Dailys. Heard that place burnt down a few years later though. Too bad the regiment is gone... Still have my old arm patch sown to a duffel bag I use often.

H%C3%A4rn%C3%B6sands-Kustartilleriregemente-300x294.jpg

Edited by El Hadji

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

Awesome! Can you say if you have been able to confirm that the Viggen actually did support the zoom functionality on the AGM-65's or is it more a case of giving it the benefit of the doubt?

Like RagnarDa said (lead Viggen programmer BTW :) ) -- it's a combination of a few things.

1) It's a very reasonable assumption that they would have been able to be used without any issues or with minimal modifications to the system.

It's likely that any export partners would have done this. Sweden simply didn't purchase any as far as we can tell.

2) In the sim, using our collimated VID display at highspeed with unzoomed Mavericks is very difficult.

It was likely far easier in real life as the screenspace on a 1920x1080 monitor pales in comparison.

Thus, using early mavericks will be for purists and the hardcore. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I wonder how the Rb-05 will play out in the sim(if its included) since we dont got anything like it(AFAIK)

For those who dont know, the Robot-05 is a guided missile you guide with a joystick and by visual. It got a flare attached to make it easier to see it and smokeless fuel.

And... When are you going to "announce" this...? ;-)

I think we all would very much like to know this. :)

Can you give us a hint Cobra? Other than "soon". :P

It's very difficult to give estimates currently.

We're still working on completing some of the visual components of various systems- such as the ground radar. Everyone is very hard at work.

Sorry to disappoint. It will be worth the wait!

I wonder how the Rb-05 will play out in the sim(if its included) since we dont got anything like it(AFAIK)

For those who dont know, the Robot-05 is a guided missile you guide with a joystick and by visual. It got a flare attached to make it easier to see it and smokeless fuel.

Exactly as in real life.

The flare lights on the tail end of the missile and you guide it with the keyboard or by using a modifier on your joystick (e.g. you hold down a button and then your joystick controls the missile.

Let go of the button and you are controlling your aircraft)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

It's very difficult to give estimates currently.

We're still working on completing some of the visual components of various systems- such as the ground radar. Everyone is very hard at work.

Sorry to disappoint. It will be worth the wait!

Exactly as in real life.

The flare lights on the tail end of the missile and you guide it with the keyboard or by using a modifier on your joystick (e.g. you hold down a button and then your joystick controls the missile.

Let go of the button and you are controlling your aircraft)

Some throttles have a small extra stick that you move with your thumb. Seems like it would be perfect for this kind of thing.