DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

His Majesty Carl XVI Gustaf King of Sweden taking a ride in a SK 37 Viggen :)

O7LlRZw.jpg

Fun fact: He liked the ride so much that he asked the pilot to fly him home to Stockholm in the Viggen instead of the SK60 which we was originally going to fly back with.

MED GUD OCH SEGRANDE VAPEN!!!

Here is some more interesting things:

Interesting documentary(Swedish)

Part1: [ame]

[/ame]

Part2: [ame]

[/ame]

Basic summary of each Viggen variant(English): http://imgur.com/gallery/If4ek/new

Footage of M/90 Mjölnir and RB-15F

M90:

RB-15F: [ame]

[/ame]

Dws-39(M/90) documentary:

[ame]

[/ame]

Sorry the post is kinda big and messy.

Edited by T0x1s

Footage of M/90 Mjölnir and RB-15F

M90:

RB-15F:

Dws-39(M/90) documentary:

Thanks for the links, i don't really think videos from a mod (although a quite nice mod) for Strike Fighters 2: Europe is that relevant tho, there is no telling how realistic the behaviour of the weaponry were made by the mod makers.

Thanks for the links, i don't really think videos from a mod (although a quite nice mod) for Strike Fighters 2: Europe is that relevant tho, there is no telling how realistic the behaviour of the weaponry were made by the mod makers.

Actually I have no idea what the simulator was before your comment and that it was a mod.

Well at least its a bit similar to the actual thing :)

Some more interesting info about the BK90 (DWS-39/24)

One of the reasons for the BK90 is that the swedish airforce had long wanted a cluster bomb/dispenser giving greater ability to engage formations of vehicles/troops (or just a target area)

etc.

But as any Action the Swedish aircraft would see was over Swedish Airspace it had never been allowed to acquire cluster munitions due to the high risk for left over bomblets being a danger for civilians.

In the 80s the need / desire for such a type of weapon remained within the airforce and finally the tech had progressed as to where there was a "safe" alternative.

The BK90 was as such developed to work in a way to where it will leave no dangerous unexploded submunitions/Bomblets.

The submunitions dont detonate like the bomblets of traditional cluster bombs (Ground impact or a sertain height for airburst etc)

but instead instead the submunitions of the BK90 (DWS 39/24) rely on a detonation command (sent from the pod after the submunitions are released)

And if a Submunition either for some reason fails to get the Activation command (due to some failiure) or if it gets the command but fails to detonate when it impacts the Submunition will become inert and cant detonate for any reason.

And as such the BK90 was acquired as unexploded submunitions could not be of any danger to civilians.

Funnily enough that did not prevent the Government to force the Airforce to retire it when Sweden signed the treaty against use of Cluster munitions.

Even though the BK 90 should have been seen in a different category as it cant be a danger in the same way most other cluster munitions can be.

And as such the BK 90 left service together with the JAS-39A in 2012 (and as such the JAS-39C was never wired to carry it)

Though some sources state there are still BK 90s in storage "waiting for disposal".

But its possible they could have been re-entered into use if the situation changed (If the weapon is deemed not to be effected by the treaty or if a urgent enough need for it arises)

But yea im looking forward to seeing it ingame and i hope they add multiple variants with the different submunitions.

Irl you could mix the loadout of the dispenser with a mix of the different Submunitions but i doubt thats possible for DCS.

But still if they add different variants (AP / HE)

you can always carry either one of each or two of each if you need a mixed load for a target.

One way of use that i forsee to be effective is to use the BK90 as a anti airfield weapon.

As you can fly at a low altitude untill you get inrange before you drop the Dispensers and then it will fly on its own while you run away for any potential enemies.

And Since the BK 90 GPS guided you need coordinates for a target (since the AJS did not have a targeting pod)

and since airfields are not moving and its well known where they are they represent a good target.

Even if no anti runway submunitions are avaliable it should still be effective.

Either if the AP submunitions can dmg the runway or by aiming the "bomb" for parking areas hoping to catch aircraft arming/starting up.

It might not be super effective if you cant destroy the runway as you wont know for sure if there are enemy aircraft on the ground or exactly where they would be but its still a use that could be interesting.

Edited by mattebubben

I guess because it is not officially announced yet. This isn't a Viggen only case though. Most third parties have modules they are working on without a subforum. RAZBAM are doing a Harrier and a Tucano, VEAO are doing two early jets and at least 3 prop warbirds, Belsimtek F-5E and I guess also a Mi-24 and LN themselves are doing Corsair too. As far as I know none of these have their own forums, even though we have already seen WIP material on them. Same with F/A-18C by ED.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I guess because it is not officially announced yet. This isn't a Viggen only case though. Most third parties have modules they are working on without a subforum. RAZBAM are doing a Harrier and a Tucano, VEAO are doing two early jets and at least 3 prop warbirds, Belsimtek F-5E and I guess also a Mi-24 and LN themselves are doing Corsair too. As far as I know none of these have their own forums, even though we have already seen WIP material on them. Same with F/A-18C by ED.

Your right there are more. Maybe they do it now after reading this;)

I like things neat and tidy:smartass:

I also like the fact that we have not seen anything substantial of the Viggen and the map. This makes the release more interesting!

i5 7600K OC 4.4, MSI Z270 Sli plus GTX 1080 OC, 2x16 GB Memory 3000 MHz, Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog, VKB pedals TrackIR 5.

For our new people here, the full fanfare announcement of the Viggen was supposed to happen August 2015, we've been waiting 6 months, so there's no point in getting worked up over when information on the Viggen will actually drop. It'll happen when it happens, and until then, you haven't paid for anything so there's no point in getting worked up about it.

For our new people here, the full fanfare announcement of the Viggen was supposed to happen August 2015, we've been waiting 6 months, so there's no point in getting worked up over when information on the Viggen will actually drop. It'll happen when it happens, and until then, you haven't paid for anything so there's no point in getting worked up about it.

We are waiting, although I must admit I am still baffled by how such a tremendous underestimation on announcement timeline could occur! :music_whistling:

you haven't paid for anything so there's no point in getting worked up about it.

Oh, but there's the problem. I want to give them my money!

We are waiting, although I must admit I am still baffled by how such a tremendous underestimation on announcement timeline could occur! :music_whistling:

They were supposedly set back by the unexpected (?) launch of EDGE and were forced to get the MiG-21 up to speed, draining resources from other projects.

With the long time it takes the new strategy (after the leak) might be a rather short period between announcement and beta release. Something like: "This is the Viggen we are making, and oh, you can download it next week." At least I hope so...

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

There were also problems with 3rd party devs and the SDK and the way certain parts didn't work as expected.

The simple but honest truth is: [The modules] are just not quite there yet. At least visually.

If a cockpit is 95% done and but there is a big white blob instead of a HUD– we'd rather ensure that we get that done before disappointing you.

It will be a few more weeks until we are ready.

Having learned from the mistakes we made with the MiG-21; we are committed to ensuring only the smoothest of launches. This means a feature complete aircraft, all included content (missions, campaigns, documentation) and as much internal QA as we can possibly squeeze in.

From this quote, I gather that the Viggen was already very advanced around new year. If assumptions are correct and LN has indeed started working on a Draken, then that must mean something in the pipeline has freed up which must be the Viggen.