DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

There were also problems with 3rd party devs and the SDK and the way certain parts didn't work as expected.

From this quote, I gather that the Viggen was already very advanced around new year. If assumptions are correct and LN has indeed started working on a Draken, then that must mean something in the pipeline has freed up which must be the Viggen.

Wow - what makes you say they might have started working on a Draken? What did I miss?

Isnt the hold up the air to ground radar that ED is developing? I am in the same boat as i think when the Viggen is announced it will release soon after or even same day. At least thats my hope

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Well Cobra have informed that it will be a short time from the announcement to the actual release day.

I do not think it will be the same day but more in the terms of 1 week from announcement to release.

*edit: as far as i know then LN have been developing their own AG radar

Wow - what makes you say they might have started working on a Draken? What did I miss?

Cobra has started his Profile Pic game again.

And the First hint sofar points towards the Draken.

Draken is Dragon (or kite) in swedish.

And he linked a picture from a swedish 1970s "kids" movie (that pretty much all swedes have seen some time or another)

And the man in the Picture is the bad guy and is the master over a Dragon that is the main foe in the Film.

So the consensus has been that the Picture points towards a Draken since we cant figure any other alternatives.

Since its a Swedish Film about a Dragon from the 70s

And the J35 Draken (Dragon) is a swedish fighter that had its prime in the 60s-70s.

And has also been some other hints etc.

Both in the form of a previous picture aswell as a comment from Rudel.

So its just speculations but so far the speculations when it has come to Leatherneck aircraft (using Cobras clues/hints)

have been rather accurate (both the F-14 and Viggen being examples)

Edited by mattebubben

Cobra has started his Profile Pic game again.

And the First hint sofar points towards the Draken.

Draken is Dragon (or kite) in swedish.

And he linked a picture from a swedish 1970s "kids" movie (that pretty much all swedes have seen some time or another)

And the man in the Picture is the bad guy and is the master over a Dragon that is the main foe in the Film.

So the consensus has been that the Picture points towards a Draken since we cant figure any other alternatives.

Since its a Swedish Film about a Dragon from the 70s

And the J35 Draken (Dragon) is a swedish fighter that had its prime in the 60s-70s.

And has also been some other hints etc.

Both in the form of a previous picture aswell as a comment from Rudel.

So its just speculations but so far the speculations when it has come to Leatherneck aircraft (using Cobras clues/hints)

have been rather accurate (both the F-14 and Viggen being examples)

and he

explicitly stated

they wouldn't be that overt.

Which you then replied to, so you would know about it.

No real grounds for thinking it's a Draken if he refutes it like that.

and he

explicitly stated

they wouldn't be that overt.

Which you then replied to, so you would know about it.

No real grounds for thinking it's a Draken if he refutes it like that.

That statement from Cobra was not about the Profile pic though.

Rudel made a comment.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2689198&postcount=82

That silent gun responded to.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2689218&postcount=83

who Cobra in turn responded to.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2689260&postcount=86

And i never said it was the Draken was official.

I said that the only clear clue from the picture pointed towards a Draken.

But that it was just speculations so far...

But its just that the picture fits cobras usual hint standards.

For example if he just posted a picture of a dragon i think ppl would be less prone to think it was a Draken then with the current picture.

As its not directly obvious.

But neither me nor anyone on that thread said that the it was 100% proof of the Draken being made.

We just speculated using the hints given to us.

And also how do you know Cobras comment was not just one of his attempt to misdirect thus prolonging the the speculation.

Since no matter how much we all love Cobra we all know he has some troll in him ^^.

Edited by mattebubben

I was watching this earlier this evening but i dont understand why the pilot didnt eject. As far as i can understand the guy telling the story was the pilot but doesnt the Viggen have a 0 0 ejection seat?

Negatory, it needs a certain amount of forward speed to eject, simply due to the canopy has to seperate from the aircraft, and it does that by drag.

I was watching this earlier this evening but i dont understand why the pilot didnt eject. As far as i can understand the guy telling the story was the pilot but doesnt the Viggen have a 0 0 ejection seat?

And also.

Even with 0/0 ejection seats runway ejects are very dangerous.

It very often ends in back injuries etc.

The orignial Viggen Seat was 0/75 (0 Alt 75km/h speed)

That was for the AJ 37 (the aircraft in the video was the first production aircraft so had the earliest ejection seat)

There was a later variant of the ejection seat that was 0/0.

And i assume either all viggens still in service or atleast all JA 37s + AJS37s were upgraded with the new seat.

And the Ejection seat in the viggen was developed by saab (and not a lisenced variant of a British or US ejection seat)

Edited by mattebubben

Can anybody confirm or disconfirm that the AJS-37 Viggen we are getting has an MFD? Since I've heard we are getting a 199- variant and MFD were very common in the 90s on modern aircraft. Would it look something like this?

DSC0236.jpg

or something more like this?

800px-Viggen_2008-03-01-35.jpg

"If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing." -Chuck Yeager.

Can anybody confirm or disconfirm that the AJS-37 Viggen we are getting has an MFD? Since I've heard we are getting a 199- variant and MFD were very common in the 90s on modern aircraft. Would it look something like this?

DSC0236.jpg

or something more like this?

800px-Viggen_2008-03-01-35.jpg

Neither.

The first is a JA 37 wich is the fighter variant (1980s it later got a different MFD in a 90s upgrade same MFD as was used on the gripen)

The Second Picture is that of a SF 37 (recce variant) and is not a MFD it was used only for showing the Picture of the recce cameras mounted in the nose.

This is the AJ/AJS 37 cockpit.

2276741.jpg

There is no difference between the AJ/AJS 37 cockpit wise other then some changes between the switches etc.

the AJS upgrade was a very limited upgrade.

It added some new weapons capabillity (by upgrading the onboard weapons computer letting it use modern weapons like the BK 90 and RBS 15F)

it also added the AIM-9L aswell as rewiring the pylons to be able to carry most of the ordnance.

But it was not major upgrade in terms of perfromance or avionics.

But then again the Aircraft left service only 4-5 years after the upgrade program started.

Neither.

The first is a JA 37 wich is the fighter variant (1980s it later got a different MFD in a 90s upgrade same MFD as was used on the gripen)

The Second Picture is that of a SF 37 (recce variant) and is not a MFD it was used only for showing the Picture of the recce cameras mounted in the nose.

This is the AJ/AJS 37 cockpit.

2276741.jpg

There is no difference between the AJ/AJS 37 cockpit wise other then some changes between the switches etc.

the AJS upgrade was a very limited upgrade.

It added some new weapons capabillity (by upgrading the onboard weapons computer letting it use modern weapons like the BK 90 and RBS 15F)

it also added the AIM-9L aswell as rewiring the pylons to be able to carry most of the ordnance.

But it was not major upgrade in terms of perfromance or avionics.

But then again the Aircraft left service only 4-5 years after the upgrade program started.

That is disappointing, still going to get it though, but how can you tell your radar is locked on to a T-90 and not some house?

"If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing." -Chuck Yeager.

That is disappointing, still going to get it though, but how can you tell your radar is locked on to a T-90 and not some house?

This is a 1970s aircraft...

You dont have the abillity to lock Ground targets with the radar.

The radar is for navigation aswell as finding Ships / air targets.

Compare it with something like a A-7E or a F-4E (when it comes to avionics)

you cant compare it with a F-16 Block 40/50 etc.

It was very advanced for its time but by the 90s it was outdated in most ways (wich is why it was replaced by the Gripen in the 90s)

the JA 37 variant is much more advanced then the AJ/AJS 37

(as its a later variant being produced between 1980-1990 compared to 1970-78 of the AJ 37)

Edited by mattebubben

This is a 1970s aircraft...

You dont have the abillity to lock Ground targets with the radar.

The radar is for navigation aswell as finding Ships / air targets.

Compare it with something like a A-7E or a F-4E (when it comes to avionics)

you cant compare it with a F-16 Block 40/50 etc.

It was very advanced for its time but by the 90s it was outdated in most ways (wich is why it was replaced by the Gripen in the 90s)

the JA 37 variant is much more advanced then the AJ/AJS 37

(as its a later variant being produced between 1980-1990 compared to 1970-78 of the AJ 37)

What would be a use of "zoomed mavericks" if there is no display to even guide them :huh:

Whatever it is, I have so many questions, and hopefully the release is going to happen in spring so I will find out from practice:pilotfly:

What would be a use of "zoomed mavericks" if there is no display to even guide them :huh:

Whatever it is, I have so many questions, and hopefully the release is going to happen in spring so I will find out from practice:pilotfly:

The Round Display to the right of the hud is the Maverick display.

Since the Viggen is a 1970s aircraft and there was no MFDs avaliable at the time and there was no space for a normal maverick display they had to come up with a different solution.

They looked at different choices and ended up with the VID (Virtual Image Display)

[ame]http://saab.com/globalassets/commercial/air/avionics-systems/aviguide-helicopter/saabs-history-hud.pdf[/ame]

if you have further questions about the aircraft ask away (or go through the thread since pretty much all of has been answered already but with so many pages its kinda hard to find it all )

Its better to ask and get a better idea of the aircrafts performance/abillities then to guess/assume things bases on knowledge of other unrelated airplanes.

Edited by mattebubben

The Round Display to the right of the hud is the Maverick display.

Since the Viggen is a 1970s aircraft and there was no MFDs avaliable at the time and there was no space for a normal maverick display they had to come up with a different solution.

They looked at different choices and ended up with the VID (Virtual Image Display)

http://saab.com/globalassets/commercial/air/avionics-systems/aviguide-helicopter/saabs-history-hud.pdf

if you have further questions about the aircraft ask away (or go through the thread since pretty much all of has been answered already but with so many pages its kinda hard to find it all )

Its better to ask and get a better idea of the aircrafts performance/abillities then to guess/assume things bases on knowledge of other unrelated airplanes.

Wow thanks for the article that's pretty cool stuff. I am really excited for the Viggen!!!!!!

Speaking of the ground radar, I wonder if that is the primary blocking issue that pushed the Viggen so far back from its estimated announcement/release date. The way LNS moves I have a hard time envisioning the work that was estimated to be 95 percent complete months ago still holding it back. I am really stoked to get an announcement before long, but I hope the Gazelle will show up and tide me over

Speaking of the ground radar, I wonder if that is the primary blocking issue that pushed the Viggen so far back from its estimated announcement/release date. The way LNS moves I have a hard time envisioning the work that was estimated to be 95 percent complete months ago still holding it back. I am really stoked to get an announcement before long, but I hope the Gazelle will show up and tide me over

Mostly, yes.

There are a few other issues as well-- but ensuring our new ground radar is visually accurate and performs well is one of our current priorities.

The aircraft is actually pretty much feature complete and the remaining graphical work is progressing well; but no new ETA just yet.

Hopefully more detail in the upcoming March update.

Stay strong! :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

Mostly, yes.

There are a few other issues as well-- but ensuring our new ground radar is visually accurate and performs well is one of our current priorities.

The aircraft is actually pretty much feature complete and the remaining graphical work is progressing well; but no new ETA just yet.

Hopefully more detail in the upcoming March update.

Stay strong! :)

Wow, it must suck to be waiting on someone else to catch up when the module is otherwise more or less done. :P