DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

I guess the Manuals tell you how to start it, but they are in swedish and since I cant into smørebrød, I cant read them either. )))

Lucky im a swede. But where do i find the manuals? Try'd with a Google search without success.

Skickat från min SM-A310F via Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome photo. Pictures of Viggens with ordnance seem to be quite rare (even these seem to be training Mavericks). Do I spot Rb 05 on the lead aircraft?

Looks like a RB 05 in the front.

And the reasons for not alot of flights with live weapons (atleast not until the 1990s when the weapons started to near their age limit anyway)

Is the fact that Sweden only acquired a limited amount of weapons.

(only number ive found for the AGM-65 for Sweden was 500 missiles acquired in the late 70s though its very possible that more were acquired later but thats the only number ive been able to find)

And since any guided munition only has a limited amount of flight hours before it becomes unusable or at least unreliable they would save weapons like the AGM-65 for when they were needed (There were ofc some live firing practice done with them but not a large amount)

Most of the AGM-65 (RB 75) Training was done with the Training model that had a live seeker but inert Body (no rocket engine etc).

Live weapons would only really be carried during Live fire Exercises or when on alert (where it was usually Anti-Ship missiles)

Otherwise you would usually just see the Green Practice weapons.

Talking about AGM65, do we know what version of the AGM65 we are getting?

I think it's the B-version.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think it's the B-version.

If we get a B that would be great, I thought though we are getting A with normal and heavy warheads.

I think the lead aircraft has an rocket pod on the internal pylon. At least it looks like you can make out the single warheads looking out of the launcher if you zoom in and play around with the image a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

A few months ago people working on the module clarified that we'll get A, as well as heavy warhead A, but a B will also be included so that we would be able to zoom with the display using those.

At least that's what I remember.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

A few months ago people working on the module clarified that we'll get A, as well as heavy warhead A, but a B will also be included so that we would be able to zoom with the display using those.

At least that's what I remember.

That would be great :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I guess the Manuals tell you how to start it, but they are in swedish and since I cant into smørebrød, I cant read them either. )))

I haven't found any actual checklists in the parts of the flight manual that I have access to, but here's one I made myself, adapted from the SFI (flight manual) for the AJ 37 (we don't have the one for the AJS 37, at least not yet). The AJ(S) 37 had a "readiness cart" (beredskapsaggregat, BRAGG) which could provide electrical power and climate control for extended periods while the aircraft is on the ground at high readiness without the engine running. Assuming you're connected to that:

1. Knob SKEDESVÄLJARE (flight phase) to position BER (beredskap, readiness).

2. Switch HUVUDSTRÖM (main power) to TILL. Most onboard systems now receive power from the ground. You will receive master caution and a bunch of warning lights will come on - the ones that are supposed to light up at this stage are marked with a dot on the light panel. The warning light CK (centralkalkylator, main computer) will go out on its own after about 30 seconds. The light RHM-FEL (radar altimeter error) will be lit if the radar altimeter is turned off.

3. Switch RHM (radarhöjdmätare, radar altimeter) to TILL. The warning light RHM-FEL should go out.

4. If you want to do a systems check: knob SKEDESVÄLJARE to position FK (funktionskontroll, systems check), then do a lot of things which deserve their own checklist. Main power must have been on while the aircraft is connected to BRAGG for at least 10 minutes (longer at lower temperatures) for the electronics to warm up before this step can be done. Once done, turn SKEDESVÄLJARE back to BER.

5. Prepare the nav computer by inputting wind speed from weather forecast (helps the nav computer keep track of your position), waypoints, timestamps, runway heading etc. Programming the nav computer is kinda complex and deserves a few manual pages at the very least.

6. Switch LT-KRAN (low pressure fuel valve) to TILL. Warning light LT-KRAN should go out.

7. Push the throttle past the first stop to the MARKTOMGÅNG (ground idle) position, which opens the high pressure fuel valves (HT-KRAN). A backstop will prevent the throttle from being pushed back below this position accidentally (doing that turns the engine off).

8. Switch START to TILL and hold it there for at least two seconds. The engine will now start and once it's spooled up to ground idle and you have hydraulic pressure, most of the warning lights except HUV O STOL (canopy and ejection seat) and SYRGAS (oxygen) should go out. Once the aircraft is generating power on its own, it will automatically disconnect from BRAGG, drop its connection lines to the ground and close the hatches.

9. Close and lock the canopy.

10. Arm the ejection seat with the safety switch next to your head. The warning light HUV O STOL should go out.

11. Turn on the oxygen supply by moving the cutoff valve away from the FRÅN position. The warning light SYRGAS should go out. No warning lights should be lit at this point.

12. Off you go! Once you're in position at the runway and ready to take off within two minutes, turn SKEDESVÄLJARE to NAV (navigering), which will light up the HUD.

I've probably missed things - please correct any mistakes and omissions.

Edited by renhanxue

Ah that sounds nice so we have both option for realism and usage. Thats very noice.

Got new rig last Saturday, only thing missing is viggen naow.

Release the Smørebrød ! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't found any actual checklists in the parts of the flight manual that I have access to, but here's one I made myself, adapted from the SFI (flight manual) for the AJ 37 (we don't have the one for the AJS 37, at least not yet). The AJ(S) 37 had a "readiness cart" (beredskapsaggregat, BRAGG) which could provide electrical power and climate control for extended periods while the aircraft is on the ground at high readiness without the engine running. Assuming you're connected to that:

1. Flight phase knob (skedesväljare) to position BER (beredskap, readiness).

2. Switch HUVUDSTRÖM (main power) to TILL. Most onboard systems now receive power from the ground. You will receive master caution and a bunch of warning lights will come on - the ones that are supposed to light up at this stage are marked with a dot on the light panel. The warning light CK (centralkalkylator, main computer) will go out on its own after about 30 seconds. The light RHM-FEL (radar altimeter error) will be lit if the radar altimeter is turned off.

3. Switch RHM (radarhöjdmätare, radar altimeter) to TILL. The warning light RHM FEL should go out.

4. If you want to do a systems check: flight phase knob to position FK (funktionskontroll, systems check), then do a lot of things which deserve their own checklist. Main power must have been on while the aircraft is connected to BRAGG for at least 10 minutes (longer at lower temperatures) for the electronics to warm up before this step can be done. Once done, turn flight phase knob back to BER.

5. Prepare the nav computer by inputting wind speed from weather forecast (helps the nav computer keep track of your position), waypoints, timestamps, runway heading etc. Programming the nav computer is kinda complex and deserves a few manual pages at the very least.

6. Switch LT-KRAN (fuel valve) to TILL. Warning light LT-KRAN should go out.

7. Switch START to TILL. The engine will now start and once it's spooled up to ground idle and you have hydraulic pressure, most of the warning lights except HUV O STOL (canopy and ejection seat) should go out. Once the aircraft is generating power on its own, it will automatically disconnect from BRAGG, drop its connection lines to the ground and close the hatches.

8. Close and lock the canopy.

9. Arm the ejection seat with the safety switch next to your head. The warning light HUV O STOL should go out.

10. Off you go! Once you're in position at the runway and ready to take off within two minutes, turn the flight phase knob to NAV (navigering), which will light up the HUD.

that sounds pleasingly easyish to do. Love the part about automatic ground power disconnect, no more angry yelling from the chief "Hey ! What are you doing ?" ! :D

Love the easyness of the engine start. :)

Will probably build myself an input panel for the Navigation Computer. Seems to be a quite button pressing intensive device. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3. Switch RHM (radarhöjdmätare, radar altimeter) to TILL. The warning light RHM FEL should go out.

4. If you want to do a systems check: flight phase knob to position FK (funktionskontroll, systems check), then do a lot of things which deserve their own checklist. Main power must have been on while the aircraft is connected to BRAGG for at least 10 minutes (longer at lower temperatures) for the electronics to warm up before this step can be done. Once done, turn flight phase knob back to BER.

7. Switch START to TILL. The engine will now start and once it's spooled up to ground idle and you have hydraulic pressure, most of the warning lights except HUV O STOL (canopy and ejection seat) should go out. Once the aircraft is generating power on its own, it will automatically disconnect from BRAGG, drop its connection lines to the ground and close the hatches.

9. Arm the ejection seat with the safety switch next to your head. The warning light HUV O STOL should go out.

10. Off you go! Once you're in position at the runway and ready to take off within two minutes, turn the flight phase knob to NAV (navigering), which will light up the HUD.

Thanks for taking your time. Now we just need the viggen to test it out! Im so hyyped.

Just hope it dont releases when im on vacation...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Smørrebrød is a Danish thing, you philistine! Being mistaken for a Dane is an awful insult. I should probably challenge to a duel or something. Rocket pods at dawn?

))) Sounds good to me, the rocket pods. )))

[Actually waiting for the case where a viggen gets directed by GCI and gets a kill on a straight flying unsuspecting su27 or something with an RB05... xD]

I know that the smoerebroed is danish, but in the german version of the swedish chef from the muppet show he says smoerebroed smoerebroed roempoempoempoem. :D Thats why I keep referencing smoerebroed here. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You did miss a few things yes ;) most crucial. You cant just hit start after flipping the LT-kran to TILL, after that, you have to move the Throttle from fuel cut position to idle. That is called HT-kran, (hög tryck/high pressure) for the high pressure fuel. Besides from that it all seems ok except from a few bits n bobs, oxygen etc. :pilotfly::)

[ame]

[/ame]

Rough translation as follows: [since its different from the english version.

*throws ladle away*

Its a really wonderfull kitchen but that doesnt matter, because now we make an fish casserole according to an old recipe of aunt *random name*.

*puts fish in the bowl*

Little very vitally alive fishes, which are very important, so the casserole gets really delicate.

Now the other ingridients, but be carefull not to take to much of them so the delicate fishy flavour doesnt get lost.

*throws the small container away*

random babling about only taking very little pepper and salt.

*fish starts sucking the pepper grinder*

Will you stop making an upheaval here in the kitchen, you fish you. [The joke here is casserole and upheaval are the same word in german: Auflauf].

You shall become an casserole [Auflauf] and not make an upheaval [also Auflauf] you stupid animal you.

*grabs cooking spoon* We will start stir a bit in there so he looses interest.

Thats also a quite modern thing, back then fishes were way more civilized in the pot.

But I can get vinegar then you will become blue. [dont ask me]

Theese restive fish.. *gets dragged into the pot*

*gets out again*

I have to tell you this broth is exquisite !

*fish gets his head out*

Thats no reason for you to raise your head like that !!!!!

----------

The old guys

R: Why are you moaning like this ?

L: Either its the show or stomachache. I hope its stomachache.

R: Why ?

L: They get better after a while.

R: That is correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You did miss a few things yes ;) most crucial. You cant just hit start after flipping the LT-kran to TILL, after that, you have to move the Throttle from fuel cut position to idle. That is called HT-kran, (hög tryck/high pressure) for the high pressure fuel. Besides from that it all seems ok except from a few bits n bobs, oxygen etc. :pilotfly::)

Oh so that's where the HT-KRAN is. I knew or at least assumed that LT-KRAN meant lågtryckskran but was confused because I couldn't find a corresponding högtryckskran.

I'll amend the original post and also add the oxygen part that I skipped.

As a swede im now very offended and "kränkt" Swedes are way more civilized than danish! (Joke)

atleast we dont eat a pissed on rotten shark like them fools :lol: jk kindof... :megalol:

The start-up procedure is really quite simple (while the underlying system is quite complicated). In most cases it can be clicked through quite rapidly, but requires some measure of conscientiousness from the pilot as to what is required for the particular mission (such as manual inputs into the computer if required).

The data cartridge added in AJS upgrade really helps to speed things up as you don't have to input every single coordinate manually. The aircraft was created with a large focus on pilot ergonomics, and should be fairly simple to "get" as long as you get used to the somewhat different logic from what is seen in more modern aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now I do like flipping switches and getting all realistic and all that but sometimes I just want to get up in the air. Because of this I often find myself flying the easier FC3 aircrafts in DCS rather then more complex ones found in the other modules.

Will the AJS37 be available to fly in a less complex (like FC3) as well?

Now I do like flipping switches and getting all realistic and all that but sometimes I just want to get up in the air. Because of this I often find myself flying the easier FC3 aircrafts in DCS rather then more complex ones found in the other modules.

Will the AJS37 be available to fly in a less complex (like FC3) as well?

I doubt it.

The best you can hope for is an Auto start Key.

(Keybind where you press it and the aircraft is automatically started and everything made ready for take off)

Other then that i very much doubt they would dumb down the module.

Edited by mattebubben