DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

The SAAB 35 Draken usualy gives it a good run for it's money when it comes to being loud, but it's probably a close call. :P

There was a joke in Finnish Air Force that described Draken as "the best known way to convert jet fuel into noise" :D

There was a joke in Finnish Air Force that described Draken as "the best known way to convert jet fuel into noise" :D

Haha! My old aircraft maintenance teacher (a former Draken mechanic) used to call it a "fantastic fuel to noise converter"! :pilotfly:

It is interesting to note how big Viggen is... I mean its not the largest of aircraft, but compare it to Draken and Gripen... massive... The extra wheels on the main gear may help bring a bit more "umpf" to the appearance... what's the MTOW on Viggen?

I haven't found an explicitly defined MTOW in the manuals, what's there is a restriction on what payload alternatives you can carry. Any fuel amount is allowed with any payload. The Swedish air force measured fuel by volume (liters) not by weight (kilograms) - the weight of the fuel varies with temperature. The nominal MTOW at ISA with 16x120kg bombs (the heaviest allowed loadout) is around 18350 kg, but there's a center of gravity diagram that has a line for that payload drawn all the way up to around 18750 kg.

I haven't found an explicitly defined MTOW in the manuals, what's there is a restriction on what payload alternatives you can carry. Any fuel amount is allowed with any payload. The Swedish air force measured fuel by volume (liters) not by weight (kilograms) - the weight of the fuel varies with temperature. The nominal MTOW at ISA with 16x120kg bombs (the heaviest allowed loadout) is around 18350 kg, but there's a center of gravity diagram that has a line for that payload drawn all the way up to around 18750 kg.

Interesting.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I saw this plane last Sunday in Sweden at the celebration of 90 years Swedish Air Force.

The Viggen there made a short landing, reversed, and did a short take off in the other direction. Amazing. Didn't get that on tape, since I was too much mesmerized by the view.

However I did get a nice recording of among others a Saab 37 Viggen taking off, and made a video of that. For your enjoyment and for the hype of this module, here it is :thumbup:

This video includes the following aircraft:

Saab 29 Tunnan - 1948

Saab 35 Draken - 1955

Saab 37 Viggen - 1967

Saab 39 Gripen - 1988

Saab 105 Florette - 1963

Full screen and volume to the max recommended

Watch the Viggen solo display at Airpower16 in Austria LIVE today:

http://www.airpower.gv.at/fanzone/live-stream.html

It will takeoff sometime between 16.00 and 17.00 CET. The rest of the block isn't too bad either: Me 262 (solo), Eurofighter Typhoon (solo) and Frecce Tricolori. Todays entire program can be found here: http://www.airpower.gv.at/flugprogramm.html#c3883

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

It was nice to see it again. Though, didnt they end a bit too early? Seemed to me he did a short landing and then taked off again but that we didn´t see.

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

That was my impression as well. And the speakers chatted about other nonsense instead of commenting the actual performance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

It was a great show! Pales in comparison to meeting some great community members from the 104th, however. Had a fantastic day!

One day vacation is over-- back to work. :P

Your damn right your vacation is over :ranting:.

Get back to work slave!!! we need our Viggen Finished :smilewink:

Ps.

all makt åt tengil vår befriare!

This just in. BRUTAL sound!

Edit: Well, didnt seem to embed properly.

${1}

Edited by Kilrah

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

This just in. BRUTAL sound!

Edit: Well, didnt seem to embed properly.

As brutal as it is, this video doesn't make justice for how loud and awesomely powerful it is. When standing at the front of the airshow, the earplugs didn't seem to help when it pointed the engine at ya. Shook my entire body.