DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

I wonder if it really is popular though. I'm not sure I'd even heard of it prior to the giant speculation thread. It quickly became clear to me and many others that it was the most likely "modern" plane, but that isn't the same as being highly desired. I could go either way on it tbh. The plane itself is a footnote in military aviation, but it might be fun on 104th regardless.

We heard you people the first time around, and we don't really need to see 100 of these badly disguised posts saying "why you make swedish plane, please make my favorite famous plane instead."

Edited by emg
  • Like 1

Swedes are going to buy it, thats for sure. As for the rest, I think the same thing that happened to the MiG-21bis will happen to the Viggen. I remember seeing a lot of posts on the forum on how boring the MiG-21bis was going (ignorance?) to be, but when people got to try it they fell in love :)

We heard you people the first time around, and we don't really need to see 100 of these badly disguised posts saying "stop making swedish plane, make my favorite famous plane instead."

At this point, Leatherneck's performance with Fishbed might off set how obscure something is.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

At this point, Leatherneck's performance with Fishbed might off set how obscure something is.

Business wise, even the C-101 sold well enough that Aviodev decided to start on the Mirage F1. Its external model and cockpit quality is top notch, and I guess it shows the community is open to less known planes from new developers - when the quality is that high.

Edited by emg
  • Like 1

Im gonna repost something i posted in the Speculation Thread.

Its the IRL Armament Options for the AJS-37 and what pylons can use what.

Ofc we have to wait and see wich of these things we will get.

Thanks for reposting! excellent!

I for once, like that we are getting some less familiar planes. Id be less hyped about a new f-16, f-15 etc.. They are just too common, you hear about them every single day..

Agree! I am very excited for this unique and awesome machine!

It's an impressive feat. Simple enough. I do, however, worry that we won't be able to utilize that capability with the Viggen to its fullest

And, this is something out of LNS' hands, I'd imagine. DCS Ground handling is pretty naff at times and we, currently, can't start on a highway.

I'm hoping this is changed or any Scandinavian map that is included with the Viggen (if it's included in the plan of releasing a theatre with aircraft) has some form of workaround for this.

Being able to operate from a highway would be so great.

I'm with you on this Fishbed! I wonder if the map we are waiting for the Viggen is coming with the Tomcat. The clues leaded me to a north sea map, parts of Scandinavia with the Baltic Sea. I have another wishlist aircraft that would greatly benefit from highway landing strips and forward operating bases! Since the AJS is mainly a mud fighter, mixing it up with fighters is going to get fun with only heat-seekers.:thumbup:

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Is it true the AJS radar has some sort of air-to-air capability? Wikipedia seems to think so.

"We carried out many trials to try to find the answer to the fast, low-level intruder, but there is no adequate defense."

— Air Vice-Marshal J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson, RAF

Can't charge us all

I'm with you on this Fishbed! I wonder if the map we are waiting for the Viggen is coming with the Tomcat. The clues leaded me to a north sea map, parts of Scandinavia with the Baltic Sea. I have another wishlist aircraft that would greatly benefit from highway landing strips and forward operating bases! Since the AJS is mainly a mud fighter, mixing it up with fighters is going to get fun with only heat-seekers.:thumbup:

The possibility of a Viggen (which I love in its own right) leading to the possibility of a Baltic Sea map made me scream internally in sheer excitement at the mere idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm very happy, my favourite plane of all time will be made for DCS. I saw it in the skies all the time growing up, so i am ofcourse biased but read below if you're unsure about it.

I really do think that even if the plane is an obscure, unknown plane for most people it will grow in popularity as they realise it's a quite neat airframe with some neat capabilities. Especially if the BK-90 is included, but thats ofcourse a big if.

Reasons? It's bound to be the first in DCS in all these areas.

viggubat.jpg

• First dedicated supersonic strike aircraft.
  • First supersonic maverick user.
  • First aircraft with ground mapping radar.
  • First aircraft with anti-ship missile capability.
  • First aircraft with stand-off weaponry, if BK-90 is included.
  • First aircraft with STOL capability.
  • "Fast & Low" design philosophy, built to perform well on low altitude.

Also it is a proper enemy for the MiG-21Bis, they flew in the same areas during the same eras intercepting eachother a lot! The Baltic Sea during the cold war was an extremly active intercept zone. It also has similar air-to-air capabilities to it despite being an strike aircraft.

• Like 1

I'm very happy, my favourite plane of all time will be made for DCS. I saw it in the skies all the time growing up, so i am ofcourse biased but read below if you're unsure about it.

I really do think that even if the plane is an obscure, unknown plane for most people it will grow in popularity as they realise it's a quite neat airframe with some neat capabilities. Especially if the BK-90 is included, but thats ofcourse a big if.

Reasons? It's bound to be the first in DCS in all these areas.

viggubat.jpg

Also it is a proper enemy for the MiG-21Bis, they flew in the same areas during the same eras intercepting eachother a lot! The Baltic Sea during the cold war was an extremly active intercept zone. It also has similar air-to-air capabilities to it despite being an strike aircraft.

the proper enemy is Mig-23 an Mig-27. But Im sure there were situations where Mig-21 Bis was involved. Great news, cant wait to get my hands on this lovely aircraft. Would like the Fighter version as well. Lets hope leatherneck dose two versions as for the F-14, I would not mind if you had to pay for different version.

Edited by Teknetinium

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

the proper enemy is Mig-23 an Mig-27. But Im sure there were situations where Mig-21 Bis was involved

I would agree that the MiG-23 is just as good an enemy as the MiG-21Bis, but i'm going off the fact that alot of bases in present day Baltic States, Kalinigrad, E. Germany and Poland used MiG-21Bis and other MiG-21 airframes like MiG-21PFM in the timeframe where the AJ 37, SH 37 and JA 37 were in service. In pure capability i'd say the JA 37 and the MiG-23 is the perfect match, MiG-23 would have an advantage over an AJ or SH 37.

Just in pure encountering chance, Viggen pilots were much more likely to see a MiG-21 then a MiG-23 over the Baltic. :pilotfly:

Edited by Skjold

Sorry couldn't resist!

Ring Raiders "Ring of Fire" part 1

[ame]

[/ame]

Ring Raiders "Ring of Fire" part 2

[ame]

[/ame]

Ring Raiders Commercial

[ame]

[/ame]

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

+1000 :thumbup:

I'm so glad we are getting the Viggen, it's a dream come true ;)

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.