ipad CDU app

Android

For any users wondering about if this works for android:

Where I'm at right now is that I can get perfect 1-way from the Android (Galaxy S5 Active) to the sim, but the display of the CDU just flickers in once in a while (with correct, updated info) then goes back to blank. Also, none of the switches update to the current position in the sim.

My iPhone works fine running them side by side, so I don't think it's a failure of setup on my part. It's probably that the app needs some more work.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you guys results are. Or if anyone has anything I could try.

• 2 weeks later...

Current issues

I am getting mixed performance from this app. The CDU repeats and the switches/buttons move as I move them in the virtual cockpit. I can get the UFC up on the iPad with an upward swipe on the lcd, but the side swipes do not show the other functions (radios).

All of the key-presses work fine, but the only buttons I have got to take on the iPad are CDU and EAC on/off. Cannot change STEERPT or PAGE from the iPad.

I went into multiplayer as a client and got nothing from the app: from reading the above I think I will get single player behavior when I am host.

I have correctly modified the export.lua file with the ip address of the iPad in cduAppHost = "ipAddress" and added both the dcs.exe and the associated updater file to my windows firewall inbound and outbound rules, as well as opening port 9089 on my router with the PC ipAddress.

I am at a loss as to how to get the specified performance out of this app, which is a pity (but not the end of the world as it cost me nothing).

Any additional suggestions would be gratefully received.

Issues resolved

I have now fixed the issues I reported in the last post:

Multiplayer: there is a server option "Export Objects". If the host ticks this, the app works fine, if not, not. The reason this option is present is that clever people can use exported objects to create omniscient God views so preventing such exports eliminates that as a source of unfair competitive advantage. Nonetheless, if its a friendly game no problem.

Radios: This was just me being an idiot. Swipe up on the LCD to bring up the UFC and once it is up left and right swipes on the LCD will bring up the three radio displays allowing user to manage frequencies and channel selection on the iPad.

Next step is to get a touchscreen for the MFCDs so I can hit the OSB's with my finger rather than the mouse. What will Santa bring??

For any users wondering about if this works for android:

Where I'm at right now is that I can get perfect 1-way from the Android (Galaxy S5 Active) to the sim, but the display of the CDU just flickers in once in a while (with correct, updated info) then goes back to blank. Also, none of the switches update to the current position in the sim.

My iPhone works fine running them side by side, so I don't think it's a failure of setup on my part. It's probably that the app needs some more work.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you guys results are. Or if anyone has anything I could try.

Having same issue here on a Galaxy S6. I think I'll pull out my old iphone 4s and see if I can get it working there.

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

Having same issue here on a Galaxy S6. I think I'll pull out my old iphone 4s and see if I can get it working there.

Make sure if joining or hosting multi player export objects is checked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Make sure if joining or hosting multi player export objects is checked.

I'm on single player.

Also tested on my old iPhone 4s and it worked without issue

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone get this working with 1.5 yet? I have the CDU screen, everything shows on my Ipad if I use the in cockpit CDU (button presses, etc) , but I can't enter anything on the Ipad CDU. I've also forwarded the port in my router. Lastly, I can only swipe up and get the UFC..

Edited by Spetz

Disabled the firewall completely and it worked so changed the private network profile to allow the port through. I still only have the main panel but the UFC and switches all work now. Its alot eqsier to work the computer now.

Hopefully the maker fixes the issues with 1.5/2.0.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Entropy SG

Hi Baltic, here is my export.lua

Just a big thank you to ENTROPY SG for that LUA file. I tried all weekend to sort the file from the original site. Mine was a shambles of 'teaching text' about a mile long and no clear place 'at the end' to put the IP address and info

Got your's down and there is was - as I had expected on the original - put my data in, BINGO it works

THANK YOU

• 3 months later...

I'm having trouble making this work. I had it working right after I entered DCS.exe in the firewall exception list, everything was fine, but now it's not working anymore. Weird. It's not working at all, I can't send button presses to DCS, nor do I get display "cloning" in the app. :cry:

• iPad address + port are correctly set up in Export.lua
  • script is in both the saved games and DCS scripts folders
  • firewall has exception

I don't get how this could work prior and now it doesn't.

Any idea?

• Like 1

Still no luck. This is mind boggling. Do I need to forward ports on my router? Sounds unnecessary, I always thought you needed that for things out from outta your home network.

Anyway, I'm stumped. Anyone has an idea/suggestion?

EDIT: whoop, major update, actually I realized it used to work with my older router. I switched to a new, more advanced one last week. So, it's clear that the issue is here.

New question: is there a common setting in routers which could affect communication between DCS and the CDU app?

Edited by Eamoe
story twist

Okay, if anyone meets a problem of this sort, here's the solution I've come up with. To make things work again after I installed my new router, I had to force change the IPs of all devices on the LAN by setting their IP to manual (not DHCP) for each of them (I had trouble with other interaces on the network -- MacBook and another PC laptop).

Everything started magically working again.

:doh:

• 3 months later...

Android CDU

Guys,

I know its an old Post and there are now other ways to Export the CDU to Android devices.

Attached is a working CDU app for android like the one for the Ipad however cures the Blinking Screen Problem.

Just follow the instructions in the readme file

Just hope it may help someone !!

All Credits in Readme file

Cheers

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2132690/index.php

Andriod A10-C_CDU.rar

Edited by mightyseaking

• 1 month later...

Anyone know how to make the export.lua work for both this app and simpleradio at the same time?

EDIT: I was using steam version, I decided that I've had so many other issues with it that I'm swapping over from steam to "real"...

Hopefully this will fix it. Basically what's been happening is that I can get simpleradio to work, but never able to get cdu working now (did before).

Edit 2 - re-installed DCS from scratch, looking in the dcs.log file I'm getting errors that point back to export.lua

I've tried the file on github directly and only added my device's IP with notepad++ and DCS is still complaining about it.

Is there someone who can contact the author to have them look into the export.lua and see if maybe there's something in there that a recent version of 1.5 doesn't like??

I've also tried with Entropy's shared export.lua and this is the error I got:

00032.005 ALERT EDCORE: Can't execute Lua file C:\Users\Scott\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua - [string "C:\Users\Scott\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Export.lua"]:34: attempt to call field '?' (a nil value)

Edited by rottielover

Found fix!

Change this line: os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

to comment it out by putting two dashes in front like this: --os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

That seems to have solved the issue, though performance is not what it used to be. I used to be able to click a button and have near immediate results, now I'm getting a 1 to 3 second pause between. I can live with it for now

Found fix!

Change this line: os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

to comment it out by putting two dashes in front like this: --os.setlocale("ISO-8559-1", "numeric")

That seems to have solved the issue, though performance is not what it used to be. I used to be able to click a button and have near immediate results, now I'm getting a 1 to 3 second pause between. I can live with it for now

rottie, I was having the same issue. I couldn't figure it out and had to reset my router since I stupidly forgot the password then spent forever trying to reconfigure the thing and I kept thinking I was doing it wrong because it still didn't work.

I found this post and tried your fix to comment out line 34 of the export.lua file... still didn't work because I accidentally changed some other lines without noticing... once I started looking at the dcs.log file I was able to track down my added errors and then again try and fail the checked the dcs.log file again and I got the same error you have/had. Commented out line 34 again and ran and it works just fine. I however am not getting any lag issues.

This issue popped up with the latest IOS update for me.

Actually the part about lag is not true... I did end up getting pretty slow last night. About a 5-7 second delay...

Edited by prionic1

• 2 weeks later...