DCS World 2.0 vs keeping old DCS world

Devil 505

Hey gents,

Between DCS world/DCS world 1.5 beta (47.5 Gigs) and DCS World 2.0 Alpha (roughly the same 47.5 Gigs) is there any reason to keep the original DCS world/1.5 Beta? Once DCS World 2.0 gets out of Alpha, is the old map coming over?

The reason I ask is I have both versions on my SSD and I only have 250 Gigs. I want to remove one if possible and see how long it might be before the old map is brought over. Thanks gents.

Robert

To my disk 1.2 is 17G, 1.5 is 26G and 2.0 is 42G. I have only installed A-10C module for now.

System specs below

Case - Antec Three Hundred

PSU - Corsair AX750watt

Board - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO

CPU - Intel i5 6600K 3900MHz

Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Memory - Kingston HYPERX 16G DDR4 2400Mhz CL15

Graphics - MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 GAMING 4G

SSD - Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2 NVMe

Monitor - Philips 277E 27" 1920x1080 60Hz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Flight Controllers - Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek COMBAT RUDDER PEDALS, TrackIR 4, Track Clip Pro

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suspect that ED will make use of the installed files already on your system, wherever they are held at present, when it comes to updating and installing future releases.

Of course you can delete old unused versions of DCS World. If you only choose to fly in Nevada, then both 1.2.16 and 1.5.1 are obsolete in your terms.

However, it must be said that 2.0 is far from complete, and it is possible that future updates may cause issues meaning running it might be impossible for at least a time. There is also a very limited range of missions available.

How long the current situation will continue is unknown. Eventually 2.0 will be expanded to include the Caucasus map, but where in the development schedule has that been put? It may be that 1.5.1 will be run in parallel to 2.0 for quite some time. It is more likely that we'll see another new map before the Caucasus gets some love - Just as it is taking a long long time for Flying Cliffs modules to be updated to PFM/ASM standards.

There is also of course the option to delete now, and re-install later. It is entirely up to you, because all 3 versions are free standing, and don't depend on each other in any way.

I also would like to know what's going to happen with all the branches on full release?

I guess the current 1.2.16 branch will get updated to the stable release version of DCS World 2, since it's the official stable release branch.

But what about the two beta branches? Will they both get updated to the release version (and future beta versions)? Will there be a merge of these two? Or will one of them get dropped, and if so, which one? I'm a bit confused tbh.

I stick to the 1.5 beta branch for now hoping it will get updated to 2.0 and merged with the other beta branch when the Black Sea map is ready for it. Or will it be the other way around, meaning the current 2.0 beta will recieve the Black Sea map when it's ready? Or both? Damn...

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't forget that 1.2 is the release branch.

When 1.5/2.0 is deemed release ready, it'll be your installation of 1.2 that gets updated.

Your open alpha and open beta installs will stay as open alpha and open beta.

This!!

Keep your stable/release branch!!

spacer.png

IIRC all branches have patched up to the same version in the past. If this happens again there will be no need to keep 1.2.

Yes, but the beta branch(es) will also recieve beta updates. So if you don't want to recieve beta updates in the future you will need the stable (current 1.2.16) branch or you will have to decline the update prompt everytime you run DCS as long as there is a beta update.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, but the beta branch(es) will also recieve beta updates. So if you don't want to recieve beta updates in the future you will need the stable (current 1.2.16) branch or you will have to decline the update prompt everytime you run DCS as long as there is a beta update.

Ah I see what you mean. Yes, I guess in that instance it depends on whether having a release version is important to you.

From the official announcement by Wags:

Why the need for a separate, stand-alone build you ask? Because at this time the Nevada map and the Black Sea map use two different evolutions of the terrain engine (T4 for Nevada and T3 for the Black Sea). We are still in the process of converting the Black Sea map to T4 which will allow both maps to co-exist in the same DCS version. In order to release Nevada this month, we needed to create a separate version.

The current release version and Open Beta will stay intact.

Once the Nevada map exits the Alpha stage, it and DCS World 2.0 will be merged into the stable, release version of DCS World or the Open Beta (TBD).

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146968

From that, I take it when Nevada is through the Alpha stage, one of two things will happen. 1.2 stable release will get updated to 2.0 stable release, or 1.5 Open Beta will get updated to 2.0 Open Beta - either of which will include both maps.

I am not hurting for space yet, so I will keep all three versions I have installed, so when the merge does happen I have whatever version it needs to grab files from to save download time.

While no specific timeline was given in the announcement, my guess is it probably is not going to be all that long. I am sure they will want to get it all merged into one version sooner rather than later, with so many moving over to 2.0 Nevada Open Alpha, 1.5 Open Beta is not getting near as much open beta testing as it was.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

IIRC all branches have patched up to the same version in the past. If this happens again there will be no need to keep 1.2.

Yeah. The important word here is "if". You don't know for sure. I don't know for sure.

You've no guarantee about this. An open alpha or open beta can be disused if need be.

I really don't see any advantage to erase a perfectly fine stable install.

Now, if you do and finally you regret it, you'll "just" have to install again. So it's just time. If you got plenty, do what you want.

spacer.png

I appreciate the info gents. I have every aircraft that has been released. This is why my builds are so large. I will just have to ditch Star Citizen until they actually release something worth playing. Nothing is put above DCS world. Especially now that we know the Corsair is inbound. I had to wipe tears away from my face when I read that one. Leatherneck just trumped MS Flight Sim. They never even got a good Corsair in game. Cant wait to get Boyington up in the air over the Pacific. Thanks guys.

Robert

Keep 1.5 for slower computers

I have an older computer system which runs fine in 1.5 but comes to a useless crawl in 2.0 even set to the lowest possible options. Is the performance slower in 2.0 only because of the complexity of the Nevada map or will it also run slower with the new version of the Caucasus map when it gets converted to run in 2.0? I vote to keep 1.5 around for use by those of us who can't afford a new computer just to run 2.0.

I have an older computer system which runs fine in 1.5 but comes to a useless crawl in 2.0 even set to the lowest possible options.

The main difference I saw in performance between 2.0 and 1.5, was in flying over Vegas in 2.0. Obviously the new map is very detailed, with a lot of objects in the city area.

Once I got outside of the city, my performance seemed to come about on par with what I was seeing in 1.5.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|