Odd Transient When Flying Under Bridge

I get an odd transient/perturbation when flying under the Hoover Dam bridge. Actually, I get it when flying just above it too, but it's more noticeable when going under. The transient only occurs when I added some wind and turbulence. It does not occur when the default weather is used. Honestly, I couldn't be bothered to investigate it any further, so I have only done it in the F-15C and with the Summer Hot with Wind preset.

Here's a video showing the transient. Watch closely when passing under and over the bridge. The case where I flew high over the bridge there was no transient, so it appears to be altitude dependent.

I know we're not supposed to be flying under bridges, but considering this is a sim, and this is a pretty prominent and easy bridge to fly under, I thought I'd mention it.

• Like 2

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I get an odd transient/perturbation when flying under the Hoover Dam bridge.

Others have noticed it as well.

There's a theory that this might in some way be related to a weird landing flare problem that has been observed at Nellis and McCarran, but I think there's nothing definitive yet as to the nature of that effect or whether it's really related to this one.

In any case, good video, that really helps to show the effect! :thumbup:

I know we're not supposed to be flying under bridges, [...]

Wait, we're not? Tell you what. Whoever said that doesn't know the first thing about flying. ;)

• Like 1

Excellent video! Thank you for that. Very cool.

I can't wait to fly the A-10C under the bridge and around that area :) Fun stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. System specs: Windows 7 Pro, EVGA X58 3x classified 3 MOBO, i7 960 @3.2Ghz, 24Gb Ram, Nvidia EVGA GTX 780ti with 3 Gb VRAM.

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

tbh it looks like a shadow rendering bug.

will give some runs tonight a d see if I can re produce.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

We're not talking about "falling shadow - something" glitch, which is indeed there, but about small but very noticeable "jerk" of an airplane (mostly around yaw axis), right when it flies under the bridge.

When I first noticed it in the Mustang, I thought it's an intended simulation of air flow being disturbed between the bridge and the dam. I don't know if that's the case, but I wouldn't mind finding out :).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I don't care about the shadows much, though I'd like to see that fixed as it can be distracting. What I'm referring to is the slight transient (change in flight path and attitude) as the aircraft passes under the bridge. I flew hands off as I passed over and under every time so that everything's clear and obvious that it's not being caused by control inputs. Of course, that made many of my recoveries pretty close-calls.

Others have noticed it as well.

There's a theory that this might in some way be related to a weird landing flare problem that has been observed at Nellis and McCarran, but I think there's nothing definitive yet as to the nature of that effect or whether it's really related to this one.

In any case, good video, that really helps to show the effect! :thumbup:

Thanks, glad it's not just me. Because this only happened to me when I enabled wind an turbulence (though I haven't tested either individually) my current theory is ED did some turbulence mapping, increasing turbulence over paved areas. If they made it a function of height, it could explain why the effect is more noticeable under the bridge than over it.

I'll have a look at the thread.

When I first noticed it in the Mustang, I thought it's an intended simulation of air flow being disturbed between the bridge and the dam. I don't know if that's the case, but I wouldn't mind finding out :).

That was actually my first thought too, but the transient occurs very consistently directly under the bridge.

Edited by Aeroscout

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I had a look at the landing issue. Something really strange is going on.

Notice the significantly different trim positions.

Just made another video, this time flying the Huey under the bridge several times.

Something really strange is happening here, but at this point, I think it's up to the devs to figure it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I found the same issue running the release version of 1.5.2 and with the Caucasus map.

Try it with this railway bridge in Beslan.

Even after landing the Huey under it, the helicopter was pushed along. With collective at 0%.

Screen_160103_222749.thumb.jpg.da5508ee87ca866466a729d0a140d3c5.jpg

Edited by kam

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble