AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Found some interesting info I'm my search for Hover Time! :pilotfly:

"We have learned that the Harrier carries a certain amount of cooling water that is needed to prevent the Pegasus turbofan engine from overheating during hover. If operating conditions are such that the water is needed at the maximum cooling rate, there is only enough water available to remain in hover for about 90 seconds before the supply is exhausted. However, the aircraft rarely needs to use this cooling water at the maximum rate, and can therefore hover for considerably longer than 90 seconds. We're just not sure how long "considerably longer" is. We've observed the Harrier hovering at airshows for periods of time on the order of 5 minutes or more. Based on these numbers, our best guess is that the maximum time limit over which the Harrier can maintain hover is probably around 10 minutes or so. We will continue our research into this issue to locate a more conclusive answer."

- answer by Greg Alexander, 11 May 2003

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not think it could hover unless it was lightly loaded?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

"A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan" by Michael Franzak to get me in the mood for this module. Anyone else read it?

It's a good read, not so much about the harrier caracteristics but about what was like flying CAS missions over Afganistán, and how mentaly taxing the situation was.

Also, it was interesting to read about the effect the high altitude of the terrain in Afg. has on the jets, due to the air's lower density and the temperature. It is something that at least myself haven't got into consideration.

I'm looking forward to flying the harrier

Well if an outstanding Harrier read is called for, one must first start with Sea Harrier Over the Falklands: A Maverick at War by Commander Sharkey Ward DSC,AFC, RN

Ward Commanded 801 Squadron in the Falklands. He flew over sixty war missions, achieved three air-to-air kills, and took part in or witnessed a total of ten kills. Great read.

Los

:pilotfly:

I've just ordered "A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan" by Michael Franzak to get me in the mood for this module. Anyone else read it? The reviews seem pretty good.

The only other book I've read that involved the Harrier was "I Counted Them All Out and I Counted Them All Back: Battle for the Falklands" by Brian Hanrahan.

Any other reading suggestions?

Also, it was interesting to read about the effect the high altitude of the terrain in Afg. has on the jets, due to the air's lower density and the temperature. It is something that at least myself haven't got into consideration.

This is more or less how the RAF came to upgrading to the Mk107 engine for the Harrier, which was much more suited to the high altitude and high temperatures.

You can try reading about what happens when the Royal Navy end up in the desert.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joint-Force-Harrier-Ade-Orchard/dp/0141035714/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Harrier GR7/9 please!!! I have the version for MS FSX and its great. IF you need any further info on the Harrier Mission Computer software then let me know as I spent 13 years working on it :-)

Well it was gonna be the GR7/9 first but something happened [lack of info I think] so we have the AV-8 first.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Just to find out more info, are we getting the Harrier Night Attack version first -

is this the version:

Fielded in 1991, the Night Attack Harrier was the first upgrade of the AV-8B. It differed from the original aircraft in having a forward looking infrared (FLIR) camera added to the top of the nose cone, a wide Smiths Industries head-up display (HUD), provisions for night vision goggles, and a Honeywell digital moving map system. The FLIR uses thermal imaging to identify objects by their heat signatures.[39][85] The variant was powered by the F402-RR-408 engine, which featured an electronic control system and was more powerful and reliable.[86] The flare and chaff dispensers were moved, and the ram air intake was lengthened at the fin's base. Initially known as the AV-8D, the night-attack variant was designated the AV-8B(NA).[87][88]

The Harrier II Plus is very similar to the Night Attack variant, with the addition of an APG-65 multi-mode pulse-Doppler radar in an extended nose, allowing it to launch advanced beyond-visual-range missiles such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM.[51] To make additional space for the radar, the angle-rate bombing system was removed. The radars used were taken from early F/A-18 aircraft, which had been upgraded with the related APG-73. In addition to the AIM-120, the AV-8B Plus can also carry AGM-65 Maverick and AGM-84 Harpoon missiles.[89][90] According to aviation author Lon Nordeen, the changes "had a slight increase in drag and a bit of additional weight, but there really was not much difference in performance between the [–408-powered] Night Attack and radar Harrier II Plus aircraft".[91]

[taken from wikipedia]

so effectively,

Harrier - night Attack

FLIR TV

MFCD glass cockpit;

multirole capable

then after [once ED releases ground radar]

Harrier 2 Plus

- all of the above,

plus radar;

plus BVR missiles

?

Edited by steele6

Most likely GR7/9 would be at some point before the AV8b+, though there was also a lack of information on some of the GR systems so I don't think there's a hard schedule on any of these subsequent variants. It's also unknown where any additional harrier variants stand in relation to the other projects.

I've just ordered "A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan" by Michael Franzak to get me in the mood for this module. Anyone else read it? The reviews seem pretty good.

The only other book I've read that involved the Harrier was "I Counted Them All Out and I Counted Them All Back: Battle for the Falklands" by Brian Hanrahan.

Any other reading suggestions?

A Nightmare's Prayer is now one of my favorite books ever. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's a good read, not so much about the harrier caracteristics but about what was like flying CAS missions over Afganistán, and how mentaly taxing the situation was.

I'm looking forward to flying the harrier

Ahhh you sods, you just cost me money. ;)

Thanks for the recommendations guys can't get enough of books like this. :thumbup:

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I am currently looking at gathering the Harrier GR7 info. :thumbup:

GR7 came out at around 1990 and was given the extra MPCD needed, Digital Map, FLIR, ZEUS RWR and several other avionic upgrades. Later on in its lifecycle it also given NRS (Nav Route Sequencing) and GPWS so that it was in line with what GR9 was going to have minus the OSMC and MilBus 1760.

Intel i7-8086K, 32Gb DDR4, RTX2080 with VR

Here's the reason why-

post link - https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2680163&postcount=1

Gents:

As you may know, the British version of the Harriers used a set of recce/targeting pods that are not available in the sim, being these the DJRP, Sniper and TIALD (which most if not all of it´s operational manuals are still classified). Not to mention also a pod carrying countermeasures in one of the 3 belly stations. Implementation of these pods could take us longer than expected, and i would really like to get a Harrier beta this year (fingers crossed).

I just wanted to be honest with you, no BS statements will come from us, this is the current situation and i put it out as it is.

So..as our 1st Harrier pack, we are going to create the AV-8B Night Attack version, this will allow us enough time to create the other system pods as we can get info on them and implement them in the sim.

So the road map would be AV-8B Night Attack followed by the GR7/GR9 versions and hopefully the AV-8B Harrier II Plus after at the end.

Best regards

Prowler

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Indeed I have been talking to Prowler about this. :thumbup:

I was part of the software team for Harrier GR5 and 7, so I am hoping that I can help with some GR7 info. DJRP and Sniper were more GR9 but I can remember us looking at TIALD.

Indeed I have been talking to Prowler about this. :thumbup:

I was part of the software team for Harrier GR5 and 7, so I am hoping that I can help with some GR7 info. DJRP and Sniper were more GR9 but I can remember us looking at TIALD.

Looks like there is a little SNIPER info here:

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=67373

Looks like the TERMA pod is an advanced IR sensor and Flare dispenser. LOoks pretty self contained apart from some system

control via the 1553 bus. https://www.terma.com/media/329027/modular%20countermeasures%20pod%20for%20fighter%20aircraft.pdf

Edited by bagpuss22
update

Bagpuss, did you have anything to do with IPaq? I remember messing about with that on the GR7s. Datalink on the Gr9 was a much more elegant solution!

Hi there,

I did some initial datalink trial work (IDM) on the GR7 ND04 software at Boscombe Down. It was parallel to the IPaq work. Managed to get the Harrier rig there to talk to a Jaguar that was sat on the Pan. Once this was done the work was absorbed into what became the GR9 Datalink (TIEC) solution.

I remember on the GR5 I wrote some software for the Psion Organiser II that allowed the pilot to convert from 'Harrier Grid' co-ordinates to UTM and proper UK grid map coordinates. :-)

Those were the days lol.

Edited by bagpuss22

she is flying :)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5