AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Does anyone know whether the Mk-81 is still in service or when it was retired?

We just had a small discussion about that on the german forums because I thought it was retired from all US forces after Vietnam but I can't find a good source for that anymore.

It may have been the USAF only because it is still listed in listed in the "NAVAIR 00-110AV8-4" from 1986 (page 12) but I have no newer source than that available.

I wouldn't mind to be able to throw the old firecracker, I just wondered.

I think that small bombs are making a come back thanks to guidance packages. If you can consistently achieve a CEP of less than 2 meters then 250 kg of HE will do the job nicely and with less collateral damage than 500 kg.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they surely have their perks, that's why they developed the SDB and the GBU-29 (that last one was based on the Mk-81, it was canceled though).

Same goes for guided FFARs.

EDIT:

...although I wonder if that is true in DCSW. With the blast and fragmentation simulation we have now those would pretty much require a direct hit to do anything...

Edited by Aginor

Yeah, they surely have their perks, that's why they developed the SDB and the GBU-29 (that last one was based on the Mk-81, it was canceled though).

Same goes for guided FFARs.

EDIT:

...although I wonder if that is true in DCSW. With the blast and fragmentation simulation we have now those would pretty much require a direct hit to do anything...

Yep, in DCS World Mk-84 is mandatory :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Splash even with the Mk84 is really poor. Carrying a similar weight in smaller bombs usually makes more sense, since you have a higher chance of at least one bomb landing close enough or scoring a direct hit.

I really really hope something is done about bomb splash damage in the near future.

For some reason, ED use a power multiplier of 0.4 in the warhead lua file which means bombs are entirely ineffective compared to real life. Simply changing the multiplier to 1.0 offers a much more realistic blast radius for all non precision ordnance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

Thanks, but I think we are getting increasingly off topic here.

So back to the Harrier:

I wonder what they really used those mk81s for. I mean, they are pretty ineffective, at least as dumb bombs.

I still couldn't find out if and when they stopped doing it.

So Razbam, I don't know if there were different sub versions of the Harrier over the years (between the NA and the plus), and I'd love to hear more about it. Are you aiming for a certain time frame, such as the early 90s or so?

Regarding designating a point on the ground as SPI using the HUD

I think it is the LITENING that allows you to do that.

We find on the A-10C that this is entirely independent of the TGP, you can do it with it turned off or not mounted on the plane at all

Edited by Paradox

Regarding designating a point on the ground as SPI using the HUD

We find on the A-10C that this is entirely independent of the TGP, you can do it with it turned off or not mounted on the plane at all

More than likely that it will not be a SPI tied into the HUD but a cursor box showing where the pod is looking. I'm are tho that on the av8b+ it will be very similar to the a10c

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Something else, bombs under the outboard stations possible? Probably not a common practice, just have this picture of an older model.

That is a pre-Night Attack airplane; generally referred to as a Day Attack. Notice the lack of NAVFLIR in front of the windscreen. The white canisters on the four outboard stations appear to be MK20 Rockeyes.

I don't know for the Marines, but it was a common practice on British Harrier.

Harrier+GR.9+returns+from+a+sortie+over+Helmland.jpg

The British Harrier II (GR.5,7,9) is quite different from the AV-8B though

(Including a redesigned wing) so what the Pylons can carry what on a Gr.5 etc does not have much meaning on what a AV-8B is capable off carrying(The British Harrier 2 also has more hardpoints with 4 per wing instead of the 3 of the AV-8B).

Sure, but the NA could not? Asking mostly because in all the armament variations posted earlier it always had AIM9 under the outboards.

The AV-8B wing is the same between the NA and DA variants, so I assume it still can. However, I don't think it is common given that the AIM-9 is essentially the only A2A self-protection either of those have, especially without the gun loaded.

Edited by OStateBandit

I don't know for the Marines, but it was a common practice on British Harrier.

US carrier operated harriers were recommended to ensure that the load be symmetrical (weight wise) or as close as possible for vertical landings.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

The British Harrier II (GR.5,7,9) is quite different from the AV-8B though

(Including a redesigned wing) so what the Pylons can carry what on a Gr.5 etc does not have much meaning on what a AV-8B is capable off carrying(The British Harrier 2 also has more hardpoints with 4 per wing instead of the 3 of the AV-8B).

I'm not sure about ED policy, so I won't give a link, but AV-8B flight manual is quite easy to find.

And the wing seems to be the same. The extra hardpoint of British Harrier exist on AV-8B, but the option isn't used.

Left wing = station 1A

Right wing = Station 7A.

Found: bomb on external point !

showimage.php.jpg

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi