AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

I've tried ground firing sidewinders from the A-10. Even if I'm sitting on the tail, the missile hits the ground in front if me (which is questionable imo, the missile should have plenty of thrust to climb from that position)

But the problem with firing them from a hover is the lack of control authority. The Harrier's unstable hovering characteristics means you have to keep pitch and roll near zero, and yaw response is very sluggish. If you pitch up to get tone on a bandit, by the time you get the missile off you will be entering an uncontrollable backflip...

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but it still wouldn't have had a chance in dogfight training against the F-5Es from the USAF aggressors, and the F-15, in the first place.

Actually the original SHAR scored an impressive "Kill" ratio in training against both.

The F-15 had only AIM-7 Sparrows at that time (1980ies), though.

Now if you upgrade a highly maneuverable subsonic fighter jet that can easily hold its own against a highly maneuverable F-5E, beat F-15s, to BVR capabilities, that sounds a good idea to me...

And before someone goes ballistic about it, this is from "Mr. Sea Harriers" book, who did participate in the training...

Read from page 49 last paragraph

https://books.google.de/books?id=Dt7RAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=sea+harrier+against+f-5&source=bl&ots=E8yWW_XS9T&sig=-m98ssynypDwYeDuYxBI6tPlHHM&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiroPv19JvTAhWHzRQKHYJ9Dq0Q6AEITzAM#v=onepage&q=sea%20harrier%20against%20f-5&f=false

:smilewink:

?

I will be surprised if ED are able to simulate the "hide the jet exhaust trick" Mr. Sea Harriers talks about, but I hope they can. I get the impression from that book the Harrier is going to be very dangerous in a knife fight.

JD

AKA_MattE

I will be surprised if ED are able to simulate the "hide the jet exhaust trick" Mr. Sea Harriers talks about, but I hope they can. I get the impression from that book the Harrier is going to be very dangerous in a knife fight.

JD

AKA_MattE

Yep, small but deadly...

Ok, the AV-8B is not the Sea Harrier, but it is as nimble and has the same tricks up his sleeves.

Only you miss the A-A radar.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

So with hovering in combat, I am guessing that sadly our version of the Harrier won't be able to hover around and shoot and fire in real, pratical, combat. Using True Lies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, I will provide evidence for my case that it can in fact with pictures!

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry for blurriness but as we can see our talented Harrier Pilot is using his AIM-9's to pick up his enemy's, a clever trick that only a talented Marine Pilot would think of! I am sure RAZBAM is working with ED to implement this combat tactic. This tactic can be used to pick up targets for interrogation or as we can see below, to effectively eliminate enemy's. Evidence in the 2 pictures below.

True_Lies_02.jpg

missile.jpg?quality=100&w=650&h=400

We can also use the Harrier for saving shot down pilots on CSAR missions or new DCS humanitarian missions (which can be implemented in the Huey and Mi-8 also). Notice how in the scenes documenting the AV-8B how it can pick up the refugee's all over the aircraft!

truelies9.jpg

truelies10.jpg

Finally we can see how we are able to drop off the hostages (hidden on the other side of the wing you know) to local police/military units for their safety.

500px-TrLAV-8B_3.jpg

It's important to notice that the AV-8B is carrying a very light payload. With my case proven, I have only one question remaining. Will these abilities be implemented in Beta or only in the full release (specifically shooting enemy's off with the Sidewinder to their demise)? I understand that it would be hard to detail all the hostages hanging off your nose too, but RAZBAM I got faith in you!

• Like 1

So with hovering in combat, I am guessing that sadly our version of the Harrier won't be able to hover around and shoot and fire in real, pratical, combat. Using True Lies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, I will provide evidence for my case that it can in fact with pictures!

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry for blurriness but as we can see our talented Harrier Pilot is using his AIM-9's to pick up his enemy's, a clever trick that only a talented Marine Pilot would think of! I am sure RAZBAM is working with ED to implement this combat tactic. This tactic can be used to pick up targets for interrogation or as we can see below, to effectively eliminate enemy's. Evidence in the 2 pictures below.

True_Lies_02.jpg

missile.jpg?quality=100&w=650&h=400

We can also use the Harrier for saving shot down pilots on CSAR missions or new DCS humanitarian missions (which can be implemented in the Huey and Mi-8 also). Notice how in the scenes documenting the AV-8B how it can pick up the refugee's all over the aircraft!

truelies9.jpg

truelies10.jpg

Finally we can see how we are able to drop off the hostages (hidden on the other side of the wing you know) to local police/military units for their safety.

500px-TrLAV-8B_3.jpg

It's important to notice that the AV-8B is carrying a very light payload. With my case proven, I have only one question remaining. Will these abilities be implemented in Beta or only in the full release (specifically shooting enemy's off with the Sidewinder to their demise)? I understand that it would be hard to detail all the hostages hanging off your nose too, but RAZBAM I got faith in you!

Sorry, that´s the Day Attack version. So no hovering around cranes for you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

It's not advisable to carry small children on the nose, apart from covering the flir and vane they tend to fod the engine when they whistle down the intake.

True True, you need to carry someone around at least 100lb and 5ft to avoid the possibility of FOD. Fortunately they can ride on the wings or Arnolds Lap

Belle Conroy.

Simulare la nostra Marina Militare sarà uno spettacolo

Sì, direi di sì! Sei passato ai tubi da stufa definitivamente alla fine.

Sono Veltro del 150GCT.:smilewink:

Bello il Mirage ma questo AV8B promette davvero bene, concordo!

Probably to prove the Italian school system is as bad in teaching foreign languages as everyone thinks it is. :D

I dare to disagree, usually in my job the Italians I have to speak to are efficient in French :thumbup:

:lol:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I dare to disagree, usually in my job the Italians I have to speak to are efficient in French

*LMAO*

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Um, you are aware that most multi role fighters can't reach 2.0 and even 1.5 Mach is a struggle for them? We're not in the 50's, top speed is not a design priority any more. Manoeuvring combat still takes place in the subsonic range, where Harrier is a very agile opponent, with thrust-to-weight ratio comparable to bigger fighters with afterburners.

Sure, a harrier can't fit a radar from F-15, but neither can F-16, F-18 or F-35 for that matter. As I understand it, making an A2A platform from a Harrier was never a top priority for the Marines, hence they installed the radar units that were easily available.

and subsonic Maneuvering combat is not really as relevant In an era of Helemt hud, and off boresight Missiles that aren't fooled by flares ( its not ww2) that is if a merge occurs, the fight will be over pretty quick. BVR engagements are more prevalent anyhow.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I wasn't talking about the future and comparing it to F-22 Air Superiority fighters or F-35 (if they ever get to the UK).

I talked about the SHAR Fa.2 of the 90ies/early 2010s period, where it got BVR capabilities and could already defend proper against fighters of that time.

Yes the F-15 could definitely run away before it gets shot down, but that is what a fleet defence fighter is supposed to do! Scare the enemy away from the carriers...

Currently the UK has nowt, no SHAR, no F-35? ...ok, they don't have carriers either, more or less.

I personally find the SHAR a very capable and underestimated multirole fighter, that could be interesting in the COIN and dissimilar combat scenarios, while being available and proven technology. On top it was one of the best dogfighters in the world judging its records.

With the AMRAAM the superior knife-fighter, got a class A sniper rifle on top. :)

It is definitely nothing like an "A-10C" with radar and AIM-120... not in the slightest.

um the Uk is a joint strike fighter Program investor/partner. Plus They also actually put up orders for the F35. The F35B can actually be deployed from LHD or helicopter carriers due to VTOL capability.

In any case new carriers constructions have been well underway since 2014. = Its a sure thing they will enter service. 2-3 years is not far away.

https://www.f35.com/global/participation/united-kingdom

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD