AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Has anyone seen a screen shot of the fuel probe extended? I'm pretty sure there haven't been any screens of the Harrier plugged into a basket yet. Sure would be nice to see that! :thumbup:

There would of been but Air to Air refuelling is hard so he missed the basket :(

And tbh so would I

Edited by Airj247

I was inverted B)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen a screen shot of the fuel probe extended? I'm pretty sure there haven't been any screens of the Harrier plugged into a basket yet. Sure would be nice to see that! :thumbup:

Here is the vid of the AAR attempt in case you haven't seen it. Probe is in view.

The Harrier probe is in such an awkward position as well.

The Il-78 is much easier to tank off than the S-3 though, the S-3 is really fussy about where you sit while the Il-78 doesn't really mind.

Well, the S-3 has 'little man' syndrome. His hose is so...short, compared to the IL-78................

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

I think the S-3 and IL-78 have different physics for the drouge... I noticed that the S-3 is extremely temperamental when trying to stay connected with the probe on the M2000C, and on the contrary... With the SU-33 staying connected to the IL-78 with the probe is so easy.

I think because the S-3 refueling hose is rigid, whereas the IL-78 hose has physics applied to it.

I think the S-3 and IL-78 have different physics for the drouge... I noticed that the S-3 is extremely temperamental when trying to stay connected with the probe on the M2000C, and on the contrary... With the SU-33 staying connected to the IL-78 with the probe is so easy.

I think because the S-3 refueling hose is rigid, whereas the IL-78 hose has physics applied to it.

You may be right, I don't know.

I always figured, dare I say, size mattered. But really, I think it boils down to hose legnth. The IL-78 has a much longer hose than the S-3. Which leads me to believe that the acceptable connection area is much larger than the S-3 as well. I have never really noticed much of a difference between the two (other than the initial spotting be free joining). But I haven't refueled on them other than in the Mirage.

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Might be because the S-3 is an old model. The IL-78 is much newer.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Does anyone know the weights of the actual pylons for Stations 1/7, 2/6, and 3/5?

I can't seem to find them. I'm curious why the Harriers tend to leave them attached when not in use and the performance impact.

-Shadow

Does anyone know the weights of the actual pylons for Stations 1/7, 2/6, and 3/5?

I can't seem to find them. I'm curious why the Harriers tend to leave them attached when not in use and the performance impact.

-Shadow

Just a hunch, but they might add to the aircraft's lateral stability. Or removing them might not give as much of a performance boost to warrant the work it takes to remove or add the for every flight.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Just a hunch, but they might add to the aircraft's lateral stability. Or removing them might not give as much of a performance boost to warrant the work it takes to remove or add the for every flight.
It's mainly for the hassle, they won't remove them unless necessary as the performance penalty with them fitted is minimal and it simply creates more work for the engineers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

But does anyone know how much they weigh?

-Shadow

They are left on to avoid maintenance issues with constantly cycling them on and off and avoid delays when they are needed. Things tend to break when they are constantly being moved. It also takes a significant amount of time to mount them and perform release and control checks to ensure they work. It's more efficient to just leave them mounted.

Outboard Pylon- 96lbs

Intermediate Pylon- 131lbs

Inboard Pylon- 143lbs

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

They are left on to avoid maintenance issues with constantly cycling them on and off and avoid delays when they are needed. Things tend to break when they are constantly being moved. It also takes a significant amount of time to mount them and perform release and control checks to ensure they work. It's more efficient to just leave them mounted.

Outboard Pylon- 96lbs

Intermediate Pylon- 131lbs

Inboard Pylon- 143lbs

I see, I figured it was something like that

Thanks for the info.

-Shadow

is it possible to lock/look targets in the MFD without a target pod?

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

-Shadow

We used to remove the pylons (wet and dry) when the aircraft was doing a display, it would buy them a few extra seconds of hover time.

maxresdefault.jpg