AV-8B

4 Centerline Pylon 86 lb

3/5 Inboard Pylon 143 lb

2/6 Intermediate Pylon 131 lb

1/7 Outboard Pylon 96 lb

1A/7A Outrigger Pylon 68.5 lb

attachment.php?attachmentid=168730&stc=1&d=1504645148

Very cool information. Thank you.

I've only ever seen a few pictures of US Harriers with the LAU-7s on outrigger stations, though the Brits seem to use them alot on the GR9s. Learn something new every day. Thanks Ramsay.

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get no pre-announcements regarding release dates because there is always the possibility of a delay and the developers are not happy getting flak off people with no patience.

The only announcement you can expect is immediately before it is put on pre-sale.

It is no longer policy to make forecasts because there is always the possibility of the dates slipping.

Thats an ED policy i think. Razbam said it will be out in Q3, altho it seems it might be abit delayed ^^

Indeed. If there is going to be a delay I expect information on the subject this week... as said several times already, ED has held pre-orders for at least a month before all releases. So by extension, if we do not get a pre-order announcement in the short term future, we are not getting a module within the next month.

... unless Razbam and ED are planning on a shorter pre-order... or even no pre-order at all. Though given the previous behaviour I do not hold this likely.

I assume Razbam knows all this very well... that said, the only reason for the silence at the moment to me indicates they are completely occupied trying to make the estimated deadline, and because of that, they still cannot say if Q3 will still be met or not....

To me personally it seems odd not to announce a delay if completion is uncertain, as the point of pre-orders with DCS is that you know when the product will be available.... if you do not know when it is available -> delay until you know.

I am very interested to see todays patchnotes and this weekend's newsletter.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Edited by MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

No they won't wait that long, no updates on the Q3 release but we'll find out soon I'm sure. ED have been very quiet on the matter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That might be the silence before the storm :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

AV-8B

4 Centerline Pylon 86 lb

3/5 Inboard Pylon 143 lb

2/6 Intermediate Pylon 131 lb

1/7 Outboard Pylon 96 lb

1A/7A Outrigger Pylon 68.5 lb

Aren't the 1A/7A Outrigger Pylons used only on British Harriers?

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I guess I stand corrected.

The Gazelle apparently was released with no pre-purchase period (?)...

Which means that as long as september is still hot we have a chance to get the Harrier on Q3.

The more you know...

Well that's reignited the flame of hope! All things are crossed! The hype from the PR alone has a lot of the community probably going to buy on release!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Aren't the 1A/7A Outrigger Pylons used only on British Harriers?

AFAIK yes - but I'm scratching my head as, despite what the pylon text says, the AV-8B loadout and release timing diagrams only make use of the 7 pylons.

When I saw the 9 pylon diagram, I thought "what's that British Harrier doing in this American AV-8B manual" but the Outrigger pylons are there, complete with diagram and specs, even if there isn't a loadout in the manual that makes use of them.

Hence why I posted the diagram and text, as it went against what I was expecting.

My guess from the text is, the AV-8B night attack version had the capability but the Outrigger configuration was never/rarely used.

Source: Page 931, AV-8 TACTICAL MANUAL Vol II, NWP 3-22.5-AV8B (A1-AV8BB-TAC-050)

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

AFAIK yes - but I'm scratching my head as, despite what the pylon text says, the AV-8B loadout and release timing diagrams only make use of the 7 pylons.

When I saw the 9 pylon diagram, I thought "what's that British Harrier doing in this American AV-8B manual" but the Outrigger pylons are there, complete with diagram and specs, even if there isn't a loadout in the manual that makes use of them.

Hence why I posted the diagram and text, as it went against what I was expecting.

My guess from the text is, the AV-8B night attack version had the capability but the Outrigger configuration was never/rarely used.

Source: Page 931, AV-8 TACTICAL MANUAL Vol II, NWP 3-22.5-AV8B (A1-AV8BB-TAC-050)

I'm just reading Osprey Combat Aircraft Series books on AV-8Bs in the Gulf Wars (Desert Shield/Desert Storm and OIF I-IV). They actually had the AIM-9 for "self defense" loaded, but due to the realities they downloaded them in favor of more/heavier armament... At least that was a comment I read.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Osprey Combat Aircraft no. 99 OIF I-IV

Page 77, VMA-211 Det A.

Ahhh, I get it. My mistake... The British put another "pylon" on the outrigger for the wheels. :doh:

Yep never seen that on a AV-8 either.

Btw, how does this work, when the wheel is extended?

81a3c1a8aced539358b7ac33722e04d6.jpg

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Btw, how does this work, when the wheel is extended?

av8b_2.jpg

Note: the image is labelled as a AV-8B but is more likely a GR-7 ?

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

av8b_2.jpg

Note: the image is labelled as a AV-8B but is more likely a GR-7 ?

Ah, Ok. They are low enough to let the wheel extend behind it.

This is definitely a British Harrier (likely a GR7) only British Harriers have the distinctive "tusks" (I guess they are part of the MWS or similar?).

Shagrat

The "tusks" are a part of the Zeus self protection jammer. Also, the UK Harriers had special outrigger doors fitted to protect them against the Sidewinder rocket plume.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Yes, but they carried the AIM-9 on the outboard pylons of each wing, not on the outrigger pylons. I read both books too recently. There isn't a single photo or comment mentioning outrigger pylons as carried by the British Harrier IIs.

I would beg to differ. It's pretty hard to find a photo of a Gr9 without the outriggers rigged

av8b_31.jpg

Harrier+GR9+Afghanistan.jpg

3-harrier-gr9-standard.jpg

Source: Google Search: "AV-8 Gr9"

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Maybe it's a Gr7. I don't know the difference, never took the time to learn about the British Harriers

-Shadow

The outrigger sidewinder rail is available in both Harriers, AV-8B/GR´s , it´s a design feature used by UK only (Spain and Italy don´t use it as well, mainly because they are based on the US AV-8B) the same way US opted for the GAU-12 gun pod while UK kept the ADEN twin set (which at the end they couldn´t use since the expended cartridges kept bumping on the fuselage).

Same design, same features, different views on how to use it