AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will this harrier be able to use BL755 cluster bombs?

No, it will only be able to utilize the United State's modern CBU series of cluster bombs. So CBU-87, 97, 103, 105 as I understand it.

BL755 is a British weapons system, and this is an American Harrier.

EDIT: I stand corrected, Mk20s only.

will this harrier be able to use BL755 cluster bombs?
As it is a USMC AV-8B NA the british weapons are likely not in scope.

The typical cluster bomb is the Mk20.

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Can the newer AV8Bs use CBU-87/97 type weapons?

As far as I can tell, those are not used by the Navy/Marines.

They were supposed to use the BLU-108 submunitions (used in CBU-97) in the JSOW AGM-145B variant, but apparently those didn't get produced in the end.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

We should definitely have Mk.20 Rockeyes as AV-8's used them extensively in the 1991 Gulf War against the Iraqis, they also employed Mk.77 Firebombs on iraqi troop positions and oil traps so hopefully we will get those too

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

Just a friendly reminder that the MiG-21 in game carries [bL755]them!
Yeah, and nukes, not that a 21 ever dropped one... My guess is Razbam models along the documented loadout in the NATOPS flight manuals.

There was a statement towards realism.

I personally would love to see all possible(!) weapons modeled, but I think at least for the early access we need to be ok with a realistic subset.

My hope when talking about "real life" implemented weapons is for Mk77 Napalm canisters or LMAV, but that requires a bit more effort, as these weapons are not in DCS, yet.

Edit: and just a friendly reminder the United States wasn't on the list of countries to employ BL-755. Which does make sense, as they have their own.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just a friendly reminder that the MiG-21 in game carries [bL755]them!

Serbia, India and Germany had the MiG21 and the BL755...:pilotfly:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Serbia, India and Germany had the MiG21 and the BL755...:pilotfly:
Eastern Germany, please. We had the Phantom and Tornado... ;)

Shagrat

Eastern Germany, please. We had the Phantom and Tornado... ;)

But any potential acquisition of BL755s by the DDR would have been blocked faster than you can say "COCOM violation", so the only German air force to have both 755s and MIG-21s at the same time would be the post-reunification Luftwaffe. But this is highly OT as far as the AV-8B goes.

Technically speaking, the AV-8B can probably carry and drop 755s (I assume the suspension lugs are pretty standardized for NATO dumb bombs), but any ballistic calculations in CCRP/CCIP modes would be way off.

No, it will only be able to utilize the United State's modern CBU series of cluster bombs. So CBU-87, 97, 103, 105 as I understand it.

BL755 is a British weapons system, and this is an American Harrier.

EDIT: I stand corrected, Mk20s only.

The Harrier main cluster munition is the CBU-97 with GATOR mines. This weapon does not exist in DCS so we only included the MK-20 Rockeye.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

The Harrier main cluster munition is the CBU-97 with GATOR mines. This weapon does not exist in DCS so we only included the MK-20 Rockeye.

Here's hoping that its developed at a later time. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I have a couple years worth of getting good at the harrier before I get picky on munitions but its always fun to drop some CBU's. :)

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

But any potential acquisition of BL755s by the DDR would have been blocked faster than you can say "COCOM violation", so the only German air force to have both 755s and MIG-21s at the same time would be the post-reunification Luftwaffe. But this is highly OT as far as the AV-8B goes.

Technically speaking, the AV-8B can probably carry and drop 755s (I assume the suspension lugs are pretty standardized for NATO dumb bombs), but any ballistic calculations in CCRP/CCIP modes would be way off.

I meant West Germany had the BL-755 AND the F-4 Phantom II and larer Tornado.

East Germany had the MiG-21, but not the BL-755.

If I remember correct, Germany signed the act against cluster munitions very early, so the BL-755 are likely rotting somewhere.

Shagrat

Cluster weapons are a perfect match for the harrier given the limited available weapon stations what with the reliance on external tanks and all sorts of other equipment so I find it peculiar that the USMC didn't adopt the BL775 if they were permitted.

I guess they were content with the conventional bombs and mavericks

Probably just a typo, but I think you meant CBU-89.

It sure would be nice if mines could be added to DCS someday.

The correct designation of the dispenser used for the Gator mines by the US Navy seems to be CBU-78. CBU-89 is the USAF designation.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I cant wait. Tommorow is a Friday.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

@Zeus67 , can you share a video about agm-122 demo?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Why are mk20 rockeye despised? (Aside from being old tech)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because unlike the CBU-87/97 type weapons which can be programmed from within the cockpit and BL775 which can be set by the groun crew the Rockeye has a fixed (4 second I think?) delay from arming to deploying which makes it somewhat limited in the things you can do with it.

It's perfectly lethal if you get it right but it's not as flexible as the more advanced weapons.