Laptop Upgrade

Hi all,

Please can i seek your thoughts about the specification of my laptop and whether i should look to upgrade or think a new system.

Currently I am running an Alienware M15x from 2011.

i7 - 840QM @1.87ghz

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

Nvidia GTX460M

My thoughts are that the graphics card is a bit dated now, and considering replacing with a GTX 970m.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Rekoal

• Like 1

Hi all,

Please can i seek your thoughts about the specification of my laptop and whether i should look to upgrade or think a new system.

i7 - 840QM @1.87ghz

Nvidia GTX460M

My thoughts are that the graphics card is a bit dated now, and considering replacing with a GTX 970m.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Rekoal

I would really recommend upgrading the whole thing. All trio CPU, GPU and Ram is not really impresive.

I stopped playing on my laptop a while ago a went desktop which is more cost effective.

I was getting terrible framerates at even low settings. And my specs were higher then yours (i7-2630QM, GeForce GT 540M, 16GB Ram).

You are running a bit dated machine, maybe it's better to invest in a complete new system.

I know we have a new game engine 2.0 and I haven't had a chance to test my old laptop on it but I don't expect a miracle.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

i7 - 840QM @1.87ghz

Nvidia GTX460M

Replacing the CPU with a 920XM and the GPU with 970M would really make a huge difference if you can find good deals on those.

BTW, wasyl00, 540M is noticeably weaker then 460M, rather than the other way around, but both are too weak for DCSW, that's true.

• Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Since it is a laptop, upgrading anything but memory, or disk drive, is just about impossible, unless the folks at Alienware are very creative, I would plan on buying a new one.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Since it is a laptop, upgrading anything but memory, or disk drive, is just about impossible, unless the folks at Alienware are very creative, I would plan on buying a new one.

What are you talking about? The CPU and GPU can be upgraded on that model and more so, the GPU to the same GPU as used by the latest laptops (bringing about five fold increase in GPU performance).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

... 540M is noticeably weaker then 460M, rather than the other way around...

Yep I was wrong. Thanks for correcting that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

Sorry then, my mistake. I should have said that most laptops do not allow for such upgrades and I am not directly familiar with the details of Alienware laptops.

If upgrades are possible then I would certainly go as far as pricing out that as an option over a new machine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you all for opinions given so far.

Looking at the cost of a new GPU gtx970m I can find one for £355.

The Cpu that has been recommended would you say that is the best one to match the other components?

Many thanks

Rekoal

If I were you I would seriously consider investing into a desktop PC for DCS. You will not be getting much flying done on the move anyway (unless you are fond of lugging your HOTAS, TrackIR, Pedals, etc. around with you) it is a much cheaper and powerful solution compared to any comparable laptop and you get the added bonus of keeping your old laptop for other stuff ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Looking at the cost of a new GPU gtx970m I can find one for £355.

The Cpu that has been recommended would you say that is the best one to match the other components?

Sorry, I checked 840QM's turbo clock and it's pretty close to 920XM so I wouldn't bother with the CPU upgrade unless you want to overclock it (but it doesn't go too far depending on the sample so the gains would hardly justify the investment).

But, if you do get the 970M, definitely consider overclocking it somewhat as there's plenty space there. BTW, I hope you you have the newer 240W PSU?

Edited by Dudikoff

really great to hear all the feedback.

I am thinking that a GPU upgrade is probably the best thing here. Alienware have made it easy to access and i have seen various Youtube video detailing the process.

If i stick with the CPU i currently have, would that be a good match for the GPU GTX970m? I don't want the GPU to outperform the CPU by such a distance that getting a lower model would be more efficient.??

In terms of the PSU i am aware a change will need to take place, i believe this one from dell will be sufficient?

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=450-ABJM&mfgpid=2038874

Many thanks

rekoal

If i stick with the CPU i currently have, would that be a good match for the GPU GTX970m? I don't want the GPU to outperform the CPU by such a distance that getting a lower model would be more efficient.??

In terms of the PSU i am aware a change will need to take place, i believe this one from dell will be sufficient?

The CPU goes up to 3.2 GHz so it won't hold you back significantly that a weaker GPU would suffice. The 970M is the best buy, especially when overclocked somewhat.

For the PSU, get the standard Dell PA-9E one (240W) which was later delivered even with your M15x.

• Like 1