TM Warthog extension, Gardena Hose connector issue

Hey all,

I'm making my own warthog extension. Per the suggestion of you fine folks on this forum and those over at /r/hoggit, I bought a gardena hose connector. However, while the female part of the hose connector fits onto the base of the stick just fine, the inner plastic male part only threads into the Warthog stick about 3/4 of a turn before becoming too tight to turn any further. however, this is not far enough in to make a secure connection, so the stick itself can wobble because there is nothing keeping the nut rigid with the stick.

Upon measuring the threads, it appears the gardena hose connector is ~20 thou bigger, which explains why it doesn't thread. Nobody else seems to be having any issues though. Whats the solution?

edit: This is the connector

Edited by kingfish
added link

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

If I understand this correctly, the plastic part cannot be screwed onto the metal nut of the grip? Maybe that is too easy of a solution, but maybe it is just the plastic center pipe that collides with the plug of the grip? You actually have to do some cutting to get everything to fit properly.

Shameless self advertisement, maybe this helps you?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153088

Callsign "Lion"

I have already removed the center plug, as my connector cable was too big to fit. The issue is not something prevent the threads from reaching each other, but that the threads are different sizes and don't quite go together unless I literally wrench it down.

I have already removed the center plug, as my connector cable was too big to fit. The issue is not something prevent the threads from reaching each other, but that the threads are different sizes and don't quite go together unless I literally wrench it down.

That is indeed very weird, since it actually should fit perfectly... Hmm, maybe Gardena have changed the threading? There seems to be a new version out with a new design.

edit: Is there maybe something blocking the nut on the grip? Something stuck in the thread?

double edit: I think the way my solution works, I also only screw maybe 3/4 of a turn. The screws that are glued in work as spacers so it is actually rock solid... Maybe this is just how it is? I will have to check tomorrow.

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"

Can I see a picture of how you filed the plastic gardena piece WH grip screws onto? IIRC you will need to remove material so it can mate. Will try to locate my gardena piece to verify and snap a pic.

ADD:

the adapter you linked too seems right, both that i have look the same and thread perfectly. However to make the thread grab you will need to file depressions in the inner ring . did you do that already? should look something like this:

20151214_010838-vi.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

I'm not sure what you mean by "depressions in the inner ring" exactly. Can you clarify?

Also, here's what I got. Its gotten pretty banged up, but it still threads into the other parts of the hose connector just fine. The threads on the right are filed down, as the major diameter was ~20-25 thou more than the connector on the WH base. However, it still does not fit, as it appears the minor diameter of the threads is too large as well, and that's a lot harder to fix.

rdgsEKp.jpg

my picture above, "outer ring" - the plastic with the thread, "inner ring" the smaller diameter plastic piece with hole in middle through which the (quite butchered) connector sticks. notice the two "teeth" on the inner ring, those mate with the stick and prevent twisting. without cutting the depressions the stick would not seat deep enough for thread to grab at all. i also had to cut of some of the thread off - notice my picture has 5 crests, while it seems you have 6

but i'm not sure if it is your problem... strange. maybe manufacturing tolerance issues on Gardena side, i would not imagine they would have a reason to redesign threading like his

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Seeing that picture, maybe the thread on the plastic piece is not "clean". I had to tinker a bit and cut so that after cutting down the piece, the new start of the thread was okay. Maybe some part of the thread on the plastic piece gets bent sideways and then locks up.

Callsign "Lion"

Seeing that picture, maybe the thread on the plastic piece is not "clean". I had to tinker a bit and cut so that after cutting down the piece, the new start of the thread was okay. Maybe some part of the thread on the plastic piece gets bent sideways and then locks up.

Yeah, it looks super dirty cause I've been filing and sanding it. However, even when it was brand new and super clean I had the same issue.

my picture above, "outer ring" - the plastic with the thread, "inner ring" the smaller diameter plastic piece with hole in middle through which the (quite butchered) connector sticks. notice the two "teeth" on the inner ring, those mate with the stick and prevent twisting. without cutting the depressions the stick would not seat deep enough for thread to grab at all. i also had to cut of some of the thread off - notice my picture has 5 crests, while it seems you have 6

but i'm not sure if it is your problem... strange. maybe manufacturing tolerance issues on Gardena side, i would not imagine they would have a reason to redesign threading like his

Yeah, I cut out that whole middle structure because the connector cable didn't fit, and removing the plastic seemed easier than trimming down the connector cable to fit. After some fiddling I believe I can get away with fitting a spacer down into the threads so that the plastic insert bottoms out and presses the insert onto the stick base and holds everything in place.