DCS and MAC

This issue has never come up to me before so I'm just now finding this out. I have a friend who is really taken with DCS. He asked me to send him to the DCS sight so that he could check into downloading it.

I just got an email from him saying that it seems that DCS does not support MAC operating systems. Really???

Please tell me this isn't true. That's just kind of crippling your business. There are a lot of MAC users out there. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be one of them within the next year or so. All of my work from DAW software to graphic and design software is all much better on MAC computers. Not to mention that I am no fan of Windows 10.

Jeeze.........I hope that E.D. moves in that direction. My work far exceeds my hobbies and I'm not apt to replace my aging computer with another PC.

DCS does not support MAC operating systems. Really???[/ QUOTE]

This is true, but you can still play DCS on a Mac using the Bootcamp app. You will need a copy of Windows and you will need to partition your HD or have a separate dedicated drive.

I have just come away from playing DCS on my nearly 5 year old Mac, 1/2 gb go vram was just not cutting it anymore.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Jeeze.........I hope that E.D. moves in that direction. My work far exceeds my hobbies and I'm not apt to replace my aging computer with another PrC.

Seriously... The idea that a mac is better at graphics/design is so early 90's. Besides, mac users are a tiny percentage of the global market. It doesn't allow the use of an up to date discrete graphics card and you're paying through the nose for that fruity logo on the back.

No thanks, I'd like them to keep their focus on the PC. Options galore and an affordable system for all my needs. That includes games, 3DS, visual studio and Adobe CS.

• Like 1

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

No need for this to turn into a pointless debate guys. No one asked for opinions of OSX as a gaming platform, and honestly I doubt they're interested.

No way of playing DCS natively on OS X - As mentioned above, look into Bootcamp for your friend. It's already built into the machine under the Applications/Utilities directory. You need a copy of Windows to install on the partition it creates.

DCS is very system intensive however - Ensure your friends machine will be up to the task. A lot of the higher spec machines (27" iMacs, Mac Pro, 15" MBP) should be fine.

476th vFG Alumni

Macs are wonderful computers with a great operating system... But if you want play games with it, you will get grey hairs.

Back in the days I have had a imac with a powerpc g4 processor - so there was no boot camp and just a few games... Battlefield 1942 and call of Duty United offensive was the best what I can play. So on the LAN Partys, my job was to play music with my great new program called iTunes. Playing was a matter of luck.

Since I began flying with simulators I bought a pc - just for flying.

DCS does not support MAC operating systems. Really???[/ QUOTE]

This is true, but you can still play DCS on a Mac using the Bootcamp app. You will need a copy of Windows and you will need to partition your HD or have a separate dedicated drive.

I have just come away from playing DCS on my nearly 5 year old Mac, 1/2 gb go vram was just not cutting it anymore.

Thanks!!! I was looking into whether this worked well or not.

Seriously... The idea that a mac is better at graphics/design is so early 90's. Besides, mac users are a tiny percentage of the global market. It doesn't allow the use of an up to date discrete graphics card and you're paying through the nose for that fruity logo on the back.

No thanks, I'd like them to keep their focus on the PC. Options galore and an affordable system for all my needs. That includes games, 3DS, visual studio and Adobe CS.

It's all good, all opinions are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to throw some info/insight out there to the developers/owners on this subject. Looking up the total market share of OSX users, it's currently about 7%. Ya, that's small in comparison to Windows, but here are a few bits of info you guys should know moving forward. First, Mac users are on the rise with young adult users (thanks to iPhones, trying to be cool, whatever), and many future CS students from top schools are Mac users (which may or may not lead to an increase in market share) in the future.

Now, this may just be a bay area thing (just to throw that out there, as I don't have other info). But my time at UC Berkeley I found most students (including myself), especially in STEM, were Mac users. And this isn't limited to just CAL, I saw the same at Stanford and UCSF. And now in the workplace most of those same students are carrying that operating system with them when possible. My point is Macs are more popular now than ever, at least in this area, and it could climb quickly.

And here's the other thing, what competition do you guys face in the OSX market, Falcon? My point, it's a market you could easily dominate with little resistance. If the OSX operating system does boom (and you believe that's a possibility), do you guys want to be ready to profit from that boom, or spend years playing catchup?

In full disclosure, I'm a Mac user in my personal life and constrained to use a PC at work. Personally, I'd be fine installing windows on my Mac to play this game. And maybe many others would feel the same way. But everyone doesn't feel the same, and these are possible customers you'd reject with your current business plan, just food for thought.

Looking at the Steam Hardware Survey. OSX is about 3%. That's the real market share in terms of the gamer demographic.

Not ever really going be financially worthwhile for a developer to make a game like this compatible with the Mac.

Gamers just don't use Macs. They're also way too expensive to build compared a comparable PC. Furthermore iMacs are all-in-one designs which aren't flexible enough for the constant upgrades gaming rigs require.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

DCS Uses DirectX and MSVC.

it will never be ported to MAC

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I am a mac user primarily. I write OS X and iOS software for a living. I even used to work at Apple.

But I don't think that Eagle Dynamics should waste their time porting DCS to OS X. It would be a nightmare project. They should continue doing what they're doing and spend all their time on Windows. There are a few reasons. OS X can't use DirectX. Most macs have wimpy GPU's that simply couldn't run DCS very well. And most importantly, you can easily run Windows on any mac using Bootcamp. So there's really not much benefit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS