Grass' pit, "Ridgewood"

agrasyuk

old build thread is now complete. I finally broke ground on new pit framework. fresh build, fresh thread (this time without the "oops" i hope)

initially planned building Flim's Cubic projection pit, already had 3 powerlines and HDMI installed on the cieling even. that however meant not having anything else in the room while leaving a lot of space unusable. so after a lot of painful back and forth i decided to compromise and build with dual projection 180FOV screen, not a bad solution at all.

built two ceiling high cabinets to house various junk i keep collecting and serve as anchor points for the screen. stretched 2 homasote sheets , will need to sand and patch the seam and the screws before painting. not yet sure if to go for ordinary white paint-on screen or to try and pull of a black pearl, still researching various recipes for that finish.

DSC_2586-vi.jpg

flight PC will be housed in the left side cabinet. made two drawers on full extension rails, will make connections and maintenance easier. friend donated another antec 1200 chassy for the cause. while not as facionable these days it is still a very good case and two of those side by side look very neat (when clean :music_whistling:). PC sill needs to be built however, will be keeping my eyes open for deals on components this holiday season.

DSC_2568-vi.jpg

seat frame took several tries to get the geometry right. not trying to match a particular craft, but rather focusing on shape to suit my personal comfort. Following the footsteps of Bergison and KLR Rico i will try to accomplish a seat with tacktile feedback. 4 wiper motors are on order as well as controllers and foam for cushion. I used quite a lot of reclaimed wood for the project so the inside is not the prettiest, tried to pant the worst spots however.

DSC_2589-vi.jpg

for the ease of entry seat is mounted on rails and can move 10 inches back. on the underside of the base hides a compact but powerful 24V linear actuator salvaged from a hospital bed that acts on a transfer plate. managed to build a linkage in such way that both transfer plate and actuator have full range of motion and the motor embedded limit switches cut off the power before any undue stress happens.

20151210_112845-vi.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Nice beginning Anton. I think a 2 screen experience is still going to be breath taking.

If I might make a few suggestions which you have probably already planned for... install a remote for your room lights so you can turn them off when your seated comfortably and ready to start. If your going to fly while the sun is up, the window blinds will not be enough to block ambient light. Even a small amount of light will ruin the image on the screen. I have black foam core cut to the exact window size. It's just a press fit but when I push it in to place it does an excellent job at blocking 99% of the light. Ambient light is a projectors worst enemy.

When I was buying my projection system, I had the opportunity to see the quality of five different projectors almost at the same time. They had a bank of projectors setup so you could switch from one to another with a simple remote. I was able to see the differences quite easily. What was more enlightening was their screens. They had several motorized screens to compare quality while you sat in their theater room so you could see half of one and half of another. It was then that I saw what a huge difference screen quality made. I tell you all this because it made choosing a system much easier but most important, you could immediately see the differences from system to system.

Until you actually see what a good screen can do you won't know what your missing. I would rather have a good screen and mediocre projector then the other way around.

It's just something to keep in mind when you start shopping.

This is going to be an amazing cockpit when it's finished my friend. Good idea to start a new thread Anton. Looking forward to more progress pics.

John

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

thank you for your comment John.

while there is only one real option for projector (benq st1080 or 85 to accomplish the short throw, optoma is out due to color), i am indeed in thought block as far as screen finish. looked at blackout cloth and other cloth screens , but not sure if i will be able to glue them neatly enough without making wrinkles. as far as paints i am looking at AZ black pearl, Silver Fire 2.5 and other recipes and just can't decide how dark of a grey i'd like to go. it boils down to amount of ambiance i am going to have and there is no way to tell the end result for sure without trying couple finishes first... i guess i will start with white - ceiling is already painted with sherwin wiliams per http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm ( as i said i was preparing for cubic projection) and brother in-law promised to loan me his benq beamer.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Awesome as usual Anton. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hello Anton,

very nice work. I also like your old build, especially the panels.

I will use 3 benq TH682ST in my screen. There will be some free time at Chrismas, so that I can show you some pictures in a view days.

Because the paint of the screen I also tought about "black pearl", but I fear that the aluminium pigments maybe shine to much. Do you know somebody who used it?

Cheers Uli

My Home Cockpit project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2609929#post2609929

thank you for your comments guys.this will not be a super fast build however. Among other things a two month old and another furniture projects do eat into free the time quite heavily.

Hi Bubbles,

on this board i could think only of member named zahry at the moment. in his thread ( http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135108 ) he shows very impressive results. since his screen is a product he sells he didn't disclose his exact formula so the reflective component and it's amount are unknown. check out his youtube channel as well.

during my research on paint formulas i found the "silver fire" (thread on AVS forum), but that one centered around spray on for which i don't have a spray gun and most importantly any experience using one. there is roll-on recipe on same board ( "cheap DIY light rejecting screen" thread), but it seems the two OPs there do not quite agree on how things should be done.

. at the end i came to understand and agree with John Warhog that it is not possible to achieve the very best result without trying several solutions. ambiance (time of day) will matter, screen gain will matter, angles will matter, for us short throw proj users texture of the screen will matter... I changed my mind yet again and will be wallpapering screen material. to try things out i ordered carl's material sample pack- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAL65NW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 will see what looks best.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

You're right, two months is probably a little young yet for tools. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

So... I bought a SimPit solution that is... amazing really... and if you have a few dollars to spend you could probably just buy the black-pearl screen. The screen is everything on this and looks amazing plus you wont be worrying so much about all the bric-a-brac needed to make one.

Double up on the remote for the room as well... yeah... thats brilliant! I need to do that.

mounted Slaw's pedals and started on MIP. dug out my old cheapo UFC, will serve as placeholder for now. AOC 27 incher will serve as instrument display

20151222_212607-vi.jpg

Did a comprehensive test of all materials carl's place sent as part of their sample pack, plus some more that my brother in law had.

ended up ordering a roll of pro-gray and today glued it to the screen board with M3 77 spray. can't wait to try it out.

20160105_214854-vi.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 2 weeks later...

Anton, I've been on a bit of a medical break for awhile, and completely missed your post on your CDU. Nice one! I've been trying to make make my own PCB to do the same thing. Got the schematic done in Eagle, everything looked great, opened up a new board view, took a look, and almost threw the laptop out into the snow! I tell everyone, you try to make your own PCB with that many components and such, the first time you look at the board view you'll cry. Don't know how you managed to have the patience to place everything where it needed to go. Maybe I'll try again soon. Just wanted to say, nice job!

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Thank's Wayne, hope your medical adventure is concluded with best outcome. We also had a bit of turbulence with unplanned hospitalizations in family, all safe now but really not a thrilling thing.

As far as CDU PCBs , again thank you, but I can't say I took the best approach. Got super annoyed by kicad, and instead of researching a more friendly circuit design software I took my mechanical drawings , copied all the electronic elements with their contact footprints onto another layer and then had hours of "fun" with manually drawing trace boundaries trying and retrying arrangements to avoid use of vias and stay on one layer. Yes I accomplished working pcb , but all that work can't be really be used for any conventional pcb making to replicate the result.

The biggest annoyance to me was not drawing but rather drilling several hundred holes afterwards .

Let me know if you need any assistance with your CDU

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Ha! Thanks. Yeah that pretty much is my experience, and was hoping there was a magical layout instead of every single component jumbled up in the corner. But, sounds like there's no shortcuts in this kind of thing. :D

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

• 2 months later...

projectors are here and mounted. looking at screen warp and blend software options. started with zachry's simpit warp. after quick first attempt i managed to get the picture below. still many more corrections are needed for the wavy edges and the seam will need special attention, but its already gives me a very good idea of how things will look and i'm liking it a lot. as i found out my old GTX580 will not drive more then 2 monitors so upgrade is very needed

20160325_215444-vi.jpg

will be trying vioso anyblend next .sent a quote request to immersaview but they are still keeping quiet.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

i'm using Benq HT1085st, not much other choices out there for good short throw. yes, with proper positioning 2 are enough for 180 degree screen, (4' minus few inches tall, 3.5' radius) . warping and blending edges is not a trivial task, slowly getting there

20160326_233324-vi.jpg

purchased pair of refurb units from benq_usa ebay store, they eventually accepted my offer for 660$, but by that time i grew tired of waiting and pulled the trigger on "buy it now". i don't think it can get much cheaper then that in near future. that seller will only ship within US though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161793540223?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Awesome Anton, very clever solution.

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

• 4 years later...

few years later...

the projection screen material didn't adhere well, hadto take it down. cleaned the adhecive residue and primed the surface with oil based primer. tried to mix homebrew projection screen paint (beige + aluminum), but the sample didn't look right at all. still researching paint.

MIP Foundation is built. fitting side consoles.

2v2HhGyonxUHnUD.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .