Slmod for DCS 1.5/2.0

@Grimes very very sorry for wasting your time, traced issue to METAR weather script damaging the mission file inside the miz file, ED has changed some thinsg to do with the mission file layout and thats is what was causing the issue

Edited by HC_Official

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

@Grimes is there an options to control how often the .lua or the .json files are "dumped" to disk?

I remember in the past I use it like it was a "real-time" file, but actually I see it's not update on every change, most of the time the .lua and the .json file are updated just only on server restart, just rarely I see that the file was updated when server is running, and I can't understand which is the condition that trigger the dump to disk.

Thanks

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Wood said:

Hi everyone. 
I just want to confirm that Simod is still working in 2.8 and if there is anything I need to watch out for when I reinstall it. 
thanks in advance 

regards

Wood

Hi Wood,
We're running all our instances with SlMod and we didn't find any incompatibility.

Just usual crazy behavior that time to time ( generally works fine ) if you use -admin reload command, mission restarts but some triggers or even some hard placed vehicle thought Mission Editor, doesn't spawn. Reload another time or complete server restart usually fix it. I guess it's something related to "corrupted memory" that are not freed up correctly. ( memory leak ), but it's something that is present by many release so far.

Our current release is the latest OB dedicated server, at the 21 Dec 2022 is 2.8.1.34437

Fly Safe 😉

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

1 hour ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

Hi Wood,
We're running all our instances with SlMod and we didn't find any incompatibility.

Just usual crazy behavior that time to time ( generally works fine ) if you use -admin reload command, mission restarts but some triggers or even some hard placed vehicle thought Mission Editor, doesn't spawn. Reload another time or complete server restart usually fix it. I guess it's something related to "corrupted memory" that are not freed up correctly. ( memory leak ), but it's something that is present by many release so far.

Our current release is the latest OB dedicated server, at the 21 Dec 2022 is 2.8.1.34437

Fly Safe 😉

Hey thanks a million for this Maverick!!! Greatly appreciate the details. 

Wood 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I got Simod back up and Running again today. However, the Server Dashboard does not show the current mission running as indicated from the screen. Any suggestions?

simod error.png

I'm not sure if this will cause a conflict with the current running mission

Wood

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you un-pause the server something change?
On my instances is working fine with Slmod installed:
image.png

The only difference is that my server is not paused.

10 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

If you un-pause the server something change?
On my instances is working fine with Slmod installed:
image.png

The only difference is that my server is not paused.

Hey thanks for the reply but I tried unpausing it with no success. So I don’t believe that’s the culprit. May I ask what you have set for your settings with resume on. I’m assuming it’s on manual or on load and not resume on clients. 
in either case it’s not working for me. 

another question. Is there a limit on stored missions. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we're setting up a dedicated server and are stuck at an error involving netview.  Instead of getting a true condition here, it's throwing this error.

2023-01-07 22:58:53.246 INFO    LuaNET (Main): SLMOD INFO: Modifying netview... results: [string "slmod = slmod or {}..."]:4: attempt to index global 'netview' (a nil value), false

Does anyone have any advice or hints on what to check?

Was caused by attempting to use a pretty old version of slmod.  Leaving the post in case this helps someone.

Edited by fargo007

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• 2 months later...

slmod use to work 100% correctly on the Forgotten's early cold war servers, Korea, Vietnam, and Cold War 1973-1977. Right now, it is mostly working except for the auto kick / penalty points for friendly fire. From the logs, these are the errors:

16.863  SLMOD WARNING: Unable to start active units database, slmod.activeUnitsBase does not exist.
16.863  SLMOD ERROR: unable to retreive events from server environment, reason: [string "return slmod.getNextSlmodEvents()"]:1: attempt to call field 'getNextSlmodEvents' (a nil value)
16.863  SLMOD INFO: Create Events
16.864  SLMOD ERROR: unable to update tracked weapons, reason: [string "slmod.update_track_weapons_for()"]:1: attempt to call field 'update_track_weapons_for' (a nil value)
23.595  SLMOD INFO: successfully loaded (name = slmod.basicSerialize) function into export.

The MissionScripting.lua has been overwritten with the slmod version, do it is desanitized. I tried running the server as Administrator, but that didn't get rid of the errors, nor did it start scoring penalty points. I have searched the github entries and internet in general, but can't find anyone else with the same issue or a fix for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The full DCS.log of the server starting would be helpful. 

Those first two lines are normal these days. ED changed something in the server loading process that slmod uses which causes slmod to try to load sooner than it used to. Basically when it tries to do it again it is successful. After that though there should be a lot more slmod entries before the create events log. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy with real life between work and home. But I will eventually get around to posting a full log shortly after the server starts up. But here is a snippet of the logs I found searching for SlMod errors:

2023-03-26 02:21:44.513 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error world.onEvent:[string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:371: attempt to index local 'lgroup' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
    [C]: ?
    [string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:371: in function 'addToDB'
    [string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:591: in function <[string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:428>.

Slmod reacts correctly to players joining/disconnecting and the voting system works. But it does not see friendly kill events which makes sense given the above error.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/26/2023 at 8:11 AM, streakeagle said:

Ok, here is a log file. The server just started up and a player happened to join, which unpaused the server. So this should be useful data and does show where slmod is failing to connect.

dcs.log 223.3 kB · 1 download

Was out of town for the week. From the logs it looks like slmod is loading normally. The error related to world event hooks and specifically the addToDB function is caused by a DCS bug introduced in the last patch. Basically any static object that gets added via script won't be in the slmod database for tracking kills because DCS is returning the name incorrectly. 

The problem remains that slmod does not detect friendly fire and therefore never scores penalty points. While we are using the mission voting system, the main reason our servers run slmod is to auto kick players misbehaving and a recent event exposed that it was not working. Are there any DCS settings for the mission or server that need to be set to allow friendly fire to be detected? This has worked for years and suddenly does not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I continue to see this error on all server instances running slmod:

2023-04-08 19:50:53.540 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error world.onEvent:[string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:371: attempt to index local 'lgroup' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
    [C]: ?
    [string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:371: in function 'addToDB'
    [string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:591: in function <[string "-- slmod world events hook..."]:428>.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah that is a DCS bug where getName() on static objects is just returning the word "static" instead of the actual name. Should be fixed in the next DCS patch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Run the game as admin to ensure that the missionScripting.lua file is correctly updated. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2022/6/29 AM6点01分,Maverick87Shaka说:

Hi @Grimes,
I'm ruing slmod since years for "basic" functionality, I'm just trying now to pull out in realtime events form DCS when I just notice that SLMOD has native UDP send message functionality.
I put a client in listening mode on the 52146 UDP port but nothing received, even lot of events was generated on the server.

Did you know if this functions is still working or it's get broken over time/update?

Thanks!

I would like to know how this is implemented, can anyone help? Or who can provide an open source system that can display server statistics on the web.

• 5 months later...

I just started hosting the incredible Pretense dynamic campaign on a dedicated server machine.  Stumbled on this tool.  Looks great.  Tested it out to load missions, pause the mission when no clients exist and extract stats.  Seems to work well.

Thanks @Grimes!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod