VKB T-Rudder Pedals - Review

Not to take anything away from the MFG Crosswinds the Mk.IV's fit my use better. Why? More compact - I have limited under desk leg/foot space available. I fly helis 99.99% & like moving my foot & ankle instead of my leg - I get more precise movements w/ limited "dead space" around center. I'm afraid I'm goin to have part company w/ my Crosswinds as they have been a good faithful companion:((

That allll said, I'm usin the pedals plug & play out of the box & experiencing "freeze up". Have to close down sim that's currently running & restart. NOT cool when transporting troops into battle & have to manuver quickly into a tight LZ.

I'm thinkin it's time to download the.current software / firmware & configurators but havin one heck of a time tryin to figure out WHERE TO START figuring out which links to download in the correct order. Can someone pls help me out.

Edited by NorCal

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Pro Gaming with Killer Networking & Sound Blaster Intel Motherboard / Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda T1000DM003 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” HD / Processor: Intel i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz / Memory: 24 GB Ram / SSD: SAMSUNG 2TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E1T0B/AM / Samsung 42" Curved 4k MonitorControls: X-55 / Warthog / MFG Crosswind / VKB Mk.IV / TrackIR

I'm thinkin it's time to download the.current software / firmware & configurators but havin one heck of a time tryin to figure out WHERE TO START figuring out which links to download in the correct order. Can someone pls help me out.

In Vkbcontrollers product page has links for the needed downloads:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-t-rudders-mk-iv

I just bought a set of these last week and they are born for helicopters. The level of precision around the centre is the big advantage here, you can place the heli exactly where you want it.

I have been using the plastic TFRPs for a while, and they were ok, but I was having real stiction problems around that centre point, so I just couldn't control a helicopter finely enough. The VKBs are 100 times better in that regard.

The main drawback was that they squeaked like mad when I first set them up, so I had to strip them down and grease the moving parts and they are fine, but for £200 you'd think they could have done that out of the factory.

They work pretty well on the Spitfire too as the brake is on the stick, so I mapped the pinky finger lever on the HOTAS to the brake lever, and you get good differential braking control.

I'd say they were expensive but worth it for the quality and the extra level of control they allow, and they do complement the Warthog nicely in terms of looking cool.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

• 5 weeks later...

Just got my pedals and I love em' ..best most accurate set I've ever had...But I'm having a hell of a time setting up the toe brakes with the new software ....I start it up ...it sees the warthog button I set but when I hold it it dosent set toe brakes in action ...just stays on rudder ....any place that has a good tutorial to get it up and running? I downloaded their pdf and followed it but I cant seem to get it to work. Thanks

Edited by Hellcat

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Just got my pedals and I love em' ..bes,t most accurate set I've ever had...But I'm having a hell of a time setting up the toe brakes with the new software ....I start it up ...it sees the warthog button I set but when I hold it it dosent set toe brakes in action ...just stays on rudder ....any place that has a good tutorial to get it up and running? I downloaded their pdf and followed it but I cant seem to get it to work. Thanks

I only had the T-Rudders Mk.III - so I cannot comment on the ones with the new BlackBox controller. Please post your question here, so the VKB HQ folks can answer you: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25

Also, did you use the correct profile for the T-Link to work? http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Profiles/BlackBox/BB_T-Link_v1_81_6.zip

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I start it up ...it sees the warthog button I set but when I hold it it dosent set toe brakes in action ...just stays on rudder ....

You need start T-link, and then click in Start/Stop - STATUS: SENDING DATA - to be able click in joy button set for "brakes".

To test open Games Controllers (type joy.cpl on Start/Cortana box), select VKBSim...> Properties > test pressing the assigned joy button, you will se 2 axis moving simultaneous if rudder is centered and only one if rudder is pressed for right or left.

Leave T-Link open - minimize in HIDDEN button.

In games - e.g. DCSW assign this axis for right and left brakes for planes like Bf 109, Fw 190, P-51 Mustang, F-5 Tiger... for planes with only "wheel brakes" (e.g. Spit, Mig 15/21...) is not need or will help, just set that joy button direct in game controls.

In DCSW this brake assignment is in "Axis command" tab - because this joy button press 2 virtual axis, simultaneous or individual based on rudder position.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Here's a link to the T-Link software Sokol is talking about: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/T-Link_v0_69_5.zip

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for the help

69.5 is the version I am using ...I hit start/stop ....sending data ....click set ....press button .....says .. brake source :button 15 ..so it sees the button setting.....press button 15 and hold but shows only one axis... x rotation ....the red light comes on by the brakes but not working

version 1.816 on the black box

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Rudder axis is calibrated OK - in 50.0 on middle?

Because if is slight for right or left only one virtual axis brakes will be pressed, see:

T-_Link.jpg

In T.Link interface seems to me that Left and Right brakes are inverted, you move rudder for right, press the button the Left Brake bar is fill up*... ?

But this don't cause problem in game (TF-51D), just move the rudder for correct side when assign brakes.

Caution because this brake don't have "ABS", is "on/off". :)

* It's said that brake in real Mig-21 work in this way, want brake right wheel move rudder bar for left... :unsure:

Edited by Sokol1_br

in vkb black box properties I see

Z axis nothing

X rotation works rudder

y rotation not working when button pressed

z rotation not working when button pressed

buttons 1 /2 neither lights up

the box with x/y axis nothing moves

Rudder axis is calibrated OK - in 50.0 on middle?

Yes 50% when sitting .......This is what mine looks like with brake button pressed and rudder pedal pushed down ...no go :(

19702228_1404921879598365_1486108633075735002_n.jpg?oh=a6ae5668e4a8a70fdf6591f6a13d4be5&oe=59C3B83C

Edited by Hellcat

Please ask in this forum as well, as that's where the VKB devs are hanging around: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Yes ...I was just reading that ...thanks

Got it sorted using that post....never saw anything in the installation pdf about uploading a config to the black box :huh: ...now I need to figure out adding curves. Thanks for the help!

Going to mark that post of yours on the VKB forum as [Resolved] then.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Going to mark that post of yours on the VKB forum as [Resolved] then.

:thumbup: thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody,

I received my VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV today and overall I'm happy.

I have one problem though: when I operate the pedals, there is some whining due to friction of the metal parts. The whining sound is rather loud but it's hard to locate where it comes from exactly.

Any tip on how to solve this would be appreciated.

I am thinking about spraying some WD40?

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I would send them back as defective and get them replaced if you can ..you shouldn't have to spray anything.......there was no whining sound at all on mine and I don't think there should be ....Never heard of that before.

Thanks for your fast answer, much appreciated. Yes I googled and also read most of the pages of this thread and haven't seen any whining report. Now I know another french guy who has purchased the pedals recently and has also a whining. Maybe a problem with a series? I hope I can find a solution without sending them back. Really bad luck, I have bought a new monitor recently and there is also a problem...

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

I got my Mkiv's 2 weeks ago, And just as you i heard a high pitch mechanical whining sound when using them. I first thought just the spring but it could also be felt slightly through the pedals.

so i held them in my lap and used my hands while holding one finger on the spring, and it went quiet but i could also feel the problem. The spring was touching the spring tensioner screw "post"

took them apart and saw marks on the spring and the "post" from grinding.

Solution: took a small file and made the tensioner post flat on the side hitting the spring, it is aluminium so it is like butter to file and no real structural compromise.

They are now super smooth and quiet, but have to admit it felt kinda bad for such an high quality product.

You can probably just remove the tensioner as it will work fine without it.

Edited by Hoffster
  • Like 1

Hi everybody,

I received my VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV today and overall I'm happy.

I have one problem though: when I operate the pedals, there is some whining due to friction of the metal parts. The whining sound is rather loud but it's hard to locate where it comes from exactly.

Any tip on how to solve this would be appreciated.

I am thinking about spraying some WD40?

This is "normal", the whining is caused during (strong) spring distension, the spring "hook" move slight over the anchor point, that has square corners.

VKB recommend put a drop of oil/grease there (anchor point) - but not WD40 or other kind of oil spray, this will "paint" the pedal interior and attract dirt.

I "muffled" this sound by "soften" the contact point.

Edited by Sokol1_br