VKB T-Rudder Pedals - Review

160$ without USB controller - convenient for Mamba owners.

190$ with TinyBox - exclusive for T-Rudder.

200$ with BlackBox - allow control other peripherals, e.g. Gunfighter stick, button panel...

BTW Mamba, how is it in comparision to TM Warthog?

160$ without USB controller - convenient for Mamba owners.

190$ with TinyBox - exclusive for T-Rudder.

200$ with BlackBox - allow control other peripherals, e.g. Gunfighter stick, button panel...

I was not aware that we could plug the T-Rudder directly into the Black Mamba.

That's great!

Afaik, connecting the T-Rudder to the Black Mamba is not possible. Iirc, that BUS port was designed for the Throttle Box (no longer available) (it's not a RJ-45 connector).

FatThrottleBox_1.jpg

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

If only there was an english button somewhere :noexpression:

I'll wait for a while. It should become available to other resellers soon.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

That website is mostly dedicated to the Russian market (orders for Europe should be possible but the shipping costs will probably be significant).

Don't worry, as soon as the products become available to Europe and North America you'll be able to order the T-Rudder.

I'd suggest you send a message to FSC Europe and ask for a pre-order, or directly contact VKB in english (sales_en at vkb-sim dot pro).

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

A guy find that is possible plug T-Rudder in Black Mamba, but require a DIY cable with JS3 connectors, connected internally in both, as the RJ-45 is not compatible.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5957&p=205776&viewfull=1#post205776

Or, trace the connections used in T-Rudder RJ-45 cable - probable only 3 pins are used.

Assembly a cable with RJ-45 female compatible and with JS3 connector in other end.

Plug internally in Mamba JS3 port "G940", and if possible fit this new RJ-45 female in place of this BUS (1) connector in Mamba base, as this have no practical use.

Think this "BUS" connector are for make interface with 3rd brand throttles, like G-940, X-65, Cougar... through this discontinued "Throttle Box". Seems this idea dont find market...

EDIT - (1) This is not viable, the BUS connector is soldered in PCB: http://i.imgur.com/TLFLd0x.jpg

That website is mostly dedicated to the Russian market (orders for Europe should be possible but the shipping costs will probably be significant)

Depends on location, for me shipping from US or EU is more expensive that from China.

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.. a friend of mine pointed me toward these pedals since the Crosswinds won't fit into my Volair Sim cockpit base. But I have to say I am confused...

Do these have toe brakes? Or are the things that look like toe brakes actually the rudder pedals? And they don't slide forward/back? They get pressed down? Or are the square things the rudder pedals?

I tried to find a video of someone actually using these, but couldn't find one... I just found videos of people taking them out of the box. Or adjusting the settings..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Hmmm.. a friend of mine pointed me toward these pedals since the Crosswinds won't fit into my Volair Sim cockpit base. But I have to say I am confused...

Do these have toe brakes? Or are the things that look like toe brakes actually the rudder pedals? And they don't slide forward/back? They get pressed down? Or are the square things the rudder pedals?

I tried to find a video of someone actually using these, but couldn't find one... I just found videos of people taking them out of the box. Or adjusting the settings..

1) No toe-brakes; I assigned a brake axis (and button, depending what A/C I am flying) on one of my HOTAS controllers and that works for me.

2) These are very similar to actual helicopter pedals, so you place your heels on the "square things" and the balls of your feet depress the T-looking pedals, left and right. They work very intuitively, just like the pedals in your car.

3) I also like that they are not as wide as other pedals on the market, so they will fit nicely into your Volair, and for me into my soon to be ordered Obutto.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I tried to find a video of someone actually using these, but couldn't find one...

Abouth "toe brakes" - no existent as this model is similar to helicopter pedals and uniaxial.

VKB T-Link software allow emulate "differential brakes" - the system by British/Russians, e.g. Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim, IL-2, Yak-1, Pe-2... Mig-15, Mig-21: Brake both wheels through a button, and send the brake force for right or left wheel be moving the rudder for this side.

BTW - In il-2 BoS this is not need because this game already allow use the British/Russian brake system in Luftwaffe, P-40... planes.

For me this solution work well in DCS TF51D, Bf 1109 K-4, Fw 190 D-9 specially that brake right or left wheel is secondary thing, with use limited to taxi maneuvers.

Edited by Sokol1_br

T-Rudder MkIII / MkIV comparison

Here are the T-Rudder MkIV improvements, compared to the MkIII.

BgsBxbl.jpg

1. More comfortable heel pads allowing different feet positions.
  2. New size adjustment system and modified T-Rudder "feet" profiles, less prone to dust, with new rubber pads providing an improved grip.
  3. Reinforced centering mechanism with dual ball bearings and a thicker base plate (4 mm) for an improved robustness.
  4. Reinforced pedals axes frame.
  5. Improved pedals locking system preventing loosening or rotating the cylindrical part.
  6. External access to the tension mechanism allowing to release the cam for easier disassembly.
  7. Reinforced and visible spring force attach point (normal and high tension force).

As the heel pads (in green color) are the most obvious improvement, the parts in orange color are reinforced and improved to endure even more wear, force, and flight hours.

The parts in yellow are new. The new "feet" profiles in particular are less prone to dust and use new rubber pads for an improved grip on different surfaces.

The base plate of the mechanism has also been reinforced with an increased thickness (4 mm).

U0fjeAQ.jpg

Sokol has already posted the bottom view showing the new size adjustment system (easier to adjust: loosen, slide, tighten the screws):

9jJkHGc.jpg

(@rrohde: feel free to add these details in the OP if it can be useful)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Thanks for the reply guys. That info helps a lot.

I have CH Pedals and am not sure I want to change they way I push my pedals. But now I know how these work.

Cheers!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Under development, a simplified version of the software with ability to set the rudder axis for press virtual axis for proportional braking, activated by joystick button.

T-Link_Panel_1_400px.jpg

To be released in Q1 2016, after the Gladiator joystick release.

IM0 - This pedal is not competition for "high end" ones: MFG, Slaw. But a quality alternative for the COTS brands pedals on the market.

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

Not really an update; but I just played with it and think I figured out how potentially works:

Refer to the screenshot for reference:

1) I assigned a brake button for these virtual toe brakes on one of my HOTAS devices by clicking the ^ button on the left, and the pressing the button I want for toe brake on my HOTAS stick.

2) The assigned button and the device used for the button is then shown under 2).

3) Press the Start/Stop button, and this will enable the T-Link software to run in the background while playing DCS.

4) I tested my virtual toe brake button, and it actually triggered the Y and Z axes of the T-Rudder itself. So long as you keep the virtual toe brake button pressed, the Y and Z axes go to the max extent. If you depress the left/right rudder pedals respectively, while still pressing and holding the virtual toe brake button, only the Y or the Z axis is activated.

I haven't really figured out what the "Accu" button would do; I assigned "Accu" the same HOTAS button as I did for the brake. Does someone know exactly what "Accu" does?

Now I have to test it in DCS; I believe I will have to assign the Tiny Box' Y and Z axis to the wheel brake axes for each plane? Going to give it a shot!

EDIT: Okay, I've tried it just now with the Me-109 and it works surprisingly well! So, what I've done was the following:

1) With the T-Link started, and verifying that it runs in the background (there's a small green icon in the taskbar indicating it's on), I went into DCS.

2) I went to the Axis Assign options of the 109 and selected the Left Wheel Brake (Analog) Axis. In order to assign it, I depressed my T-Rudder to the left, and then pressed the HOTAS button that I assigned as virtual toe brake earlier. DCS picked up the correct T-Rudder axis assignment (Y-Axis).

3) I repeated the same for the Right Wheel Brake (Analog) Axis of my 109; pressing the T-Rudder first and then the assigned HOTAS button triggered the Z-Axis of the T-Rudder.

4) After a quick test, all I had to do was invert the Y and Z Axes of my virtual toe brakes, and I'm in business!

5) FYI - I didn't have to assign the Both Wheels Brake axis in DCS, because when not depressing the T-Rudder pedals, the assigned HOTAS button brakes both wheels - thanks to this T-Link software.

Overall, quite impressive - and much better of a solution than I thought! :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Any update on this?

T-Link version released in March work flawless.

rrohde

For what I understand the the button "ACCU" (Accuracy) is not related to brakes, but rudder response. *

In Russian instructions is said: " control of dynamic response curves for the yaw axis. "

When the button is pressed is applied a reduction factor in rudder response for allow smooth small adjustments, e.g during aiming maneuvers. I don't test this in practice.

* Maybe this apply reduced brake force...

T-Link was designed for allow use a button in any brand joystick as brake for T-Rudder, a single axis pedal.

I find this use simple and easy, as explained by RROHDE - although what is achieved is not "toe brakes" but "differential brakes" (for the final purpose , brake one or other wheel or both the method don't matter).

T-Link has some optional to use features:

The "obscure" ACCU button. :P

Calibration process (can be done with VKB Device Config too).

Firmware update (can be done with VKB Device Config too).

More "simple" than this only a hardware pedal with toe brakes, VKB RDR-XXII (WiP) will have hardware toe brakes, but is for "the future".

VKB RDR-XXII (WiP) will have hardware toe brakes, but is for "the future".

Any drawings or pics available on this future VKB Rudder, Sokol? :music_whistling:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

rrohde

For what I understand the the button "ACCU" (Accuracy) is not related to brakes, but rudder response. *

In Russian instructions is said: " control of dynamic response curves for the yaw axis. "

When the button is pressed is applied a reduction factor in rudder response for allow smooth small adjustments, e.g during aiming maneuvers. I don't test this in practice.

* Maybe this apply reduced brake force...

Thanks for the info, Sokol! I will assign the Accu functionality to another button and test some more then. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Any drawings or pics available on this future VKB Rudder, Sokol? :music_whistling:

No, but probable will be based on last model of RDR line, the RDR-XXI with CAM system. This RDR line has evolved since ~2004.

http://vkb-sim.pro/project/rdr21-l/

At some moment this next model was planed as "ForceFeedback", but seems that patent issues make this option non-viable...

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks all, I have figured this out - for the Hawk at least. It indeed works well! One question though about T-Link. If I open the 'Aux' panel, depressing the right pedal lights the 'LEFT' light, and conversely for the left pedal lighting the 'RIGHT' light. Consequently I had to switch the Joy-Y and Joy-Z axes to get the correct wheel brake to work. Is this a T-Link bug?