How are real life carrier Landing performed?

I was just curious, do they let the auto pilot take care of it, or they do it by hand, or pilot preference?

Thanks in advance,

:Core2Duo @ 435FSB x 7 3.05GHz : ATI x1900xtx: 2GB Patriot @ 435Mhz : WD 250Gb UATA: Seagate 320Gb SATA2: X-Fi Platinum:

even though i have no idea, but i rather trust myself than machine. plus sometimes the computer might be malfuctioning, so the pilots still need the skill to land by themselves, and the skill comes from the daily practice. this just how i feel, 100% my opinion, so don't take my words. but one thing i do know, the pilots are being scored on every landing they have performed, so i'm sure that they dont let the auto pilot do the thing. and carrier landing is a big portion of the entire pilot evaluation record.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Home address: 81°28W, 29°85N

Don't try to Waste Your Bombs and Missiles BC They are More Expensive.

The Super Hornet can land on fully automatic, but general routine is by hand. I'm not sure if others are full auto capable.

Basically the aircraft comes off the marshall, comes at the carrier from the left, doing a left hand turn. It lines up with the strip, and the pilot follows the meatball and the LSO's directions down. When it hits the pilot goes to max power incase he/she misses the wire. The aircraft handler on deck then signals the pilot to power down, and the wire pulls the aircraft back. (The reason they do this is because the pilot can't visually see if the hook has fully engaged the wire as it could slip out if the pilot throttles down right when he feels a grab... The pilot then raises the hook to let go of the wire, folds the wings up, and goes on his/her merry way.

Well Ive been leaving the autopilot on up until about 5km from the Kuznetsov and then taking over by hand...I hope thats a realistic approach more or less....I just find it a pita holding my hand steady for eternity.

:Core2Duo @ 435FSB x 7 3.05GHz : ATI x1900xtx: 2GB Patriot @ 435Mhz : WD 250Gb UATA: Seagate 320Gb SATA2: X-Fi Platinum:

AFAIK, all Hornets can land in fully automatic procedure. The system is known as ACLS (automatic carrier landing system). The latest Tomcats also could, the earlier ones just had an autothrottle system to keep the correct AOA throughout the final approach ust using throttles.

ACLS can be engaged on the final leg of the approach, about one mile from the carrier, and I think is used quite often (and mostly at night or in bad weather) by pilots, at least to get more indications about the landing

an interesting read:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKE/is_7_46/ai_78333957

I am sure the hornet takes off 100% automatically. The pilots don't have a choice, they have to take off holding some bars near the window.

Computers are more reliable than humans, when the humans that programmed them are reliable. Slightly paradoxical.

Quite a while ago, when an autoland system was developed for passenger aircraft, they had to stop using it due to the fact the aircraft were landing at exactly the same spot in the runway everytime, this they thought would cause damage to the surface and so stopped using it.

One thing you’ve got to consider is fuel. When landing any aircraft you should try to get the fuel down to below 3000 kg but to be honest I never hit the deck with more 2500kg of fuel. These Sukhoi’s carry a lot of fuel, fully loaded its like flying an F15 with three external tanks so for long range missions you probably don’t even need more than about 80% capacity and for most missions 70% should do.

As has already been stated the landing is a left turn on to final and a good way to make sure you’re going to line up correctly is to fly with certain numbers in mind for example; once your distance to the ship is approx 10 km then don’t exceed 500m alt/ 300 kmph/ final approach speed between 250, 270 knots and never flare.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Most efficient recoveries (and most fun) are still: daytime, good weather

and pure visual. (at least in USN)

Each flight heads toward initial point when cleared for approach. The initial

could be 5NM behind the boat, inline with the BRC (base recovery course)

at 800 feet AGL. They come in for an overhead break at 300 knots or slightly more, when required with their hooks extended. After passing the ship - a steep bank to the left and a 3G pull - easing up and rolling out on a opposite

heading from BRC. Gear, flaps down and should be reaching proper AOA

when "abeam" the intended landing point at 600 feet AGL. With the wind

over deck (ship`s speed + headwind) being 25 or 30 knots, the pilots start

their descending turns inbound right after passing abeam point. In the first

half of the turn the main focus is getting the plane settled within parameters

for an approach, ie: descent rate, AOA, etc. After passing the "90" (perpendiculal to final approach course) they visually pickup the meatball

and it becomes the center of their visual scan. Playing the turn to roll out

on centerline and a good start on the ball.

I wonder if Russians do a similar visual approach. Anybody knows?

Agreed- From what I've seen & read- the takeoffs are mainly automatic, the landings are mostly manual. I noted that the pilots seem reluctant to hold the "oh shit" handle, and they grab that stick about .000002 seconds after the CAT and the gear separate... heheh makes you wonder how automatic it all really is... Plus the USN guys are rather vicious amongst themselves with their trap grading & evaluation system... If you bolter- you won't be allowed to forget it until the next one occurs...

Agreed- From what I've seen & read- the takeoffs are mainly automatic, the landings are mostly manual. I noted that the pilots seem reluctant to hold the "oh shit" handle, and they grab that stick about .000002 seconds after the CAT and the gear separate... heheh makes you wonder how automatic it all really is... Plus the USN guys are rather vicious amongst themselves with their trap grading & evaluation system... If you bolter- you won't be allowed to forget it until the next one occurs...

Your car will drive in a straight line without you at the wheel - yet how comfortable would you feel letting go of the steering wheel on the motorway? ;)

Ever seen a vid of a Rafale M launching?

The initial pitch-up on leaving the deck looks rather computer controlled, worth looking for if you haven't seen it.