thinking about 4k TV, will my system run ok?

there's a great deal on a 40" UHDTV (4k) in my local shop, so that's 3840x2160 resolution

that a boat load more than my current 1920x1200 monition which gets awesome frame rates.

i have an i7 4GHz with 8GB and a GTX780 8GB

i wonder if DCS would run ok on that setup on a 3840x2160 tv plugged into the HDMI port.

thanks

My kit: i7-4790K@4GHz / 8GB - GTX 980ti + rift CV1 - X52 pro - Multi Keyboard Remapper - 2DOF motion sim (in development)

I just bit the bullet and bought the same TV(Samsung 6500 series just under the curved TV). The difference is amazing. I am running 2X760 in SLI and I had to turn down the MSA to 2 and AA to 4 but I runs great. The FOV is amazing since you can zoom the view all the way out and still read every gauge and dial perfectly.

I just bit the bullet and bought the same TV(Samsung 6500 series just under the curved TV). The difference is amazing. I am running 2X760 in SLI and I had to turn down the MSA to 2 and AA to 4 but I runs great. The FOV is amazing since you can zoom the view all the way out and still read every gauge and dial perfectly.

thanks, i wonder how 2X760 in SLI compares to 1x 780? what frame rates are you getting? i read the 4k TVs only really do 30Hz anyhow in 4K mode. is that a problem?

i read some nvidea forums about problems driving 4k tv from gtx780 but they were old posts so maybe all the problems are fixed now? sounds like you are having no problem. i assume you just have an HDMI cable connecting them?

i just sold my rift DK2 on ebay because i hated the resolution and figured better to sell it while its still worth something. i'm pondering if to put that money into a 4k TV or wait for the rift CV1, but then i need to buy a GTX970 too.

Edited by steve2112

My kit: i7-4790K@4GHz / 8GB - GTX 980ti + rift CV1 - X52 pro - Multi Keyboard Remapper - 2DOF motion sim (in development)

I am curious. Who made a GTX 780 with 8GB of VRAM?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You may want to consider buying a monitor instead. No idea what the price difference is though.

Personally i am VERY happy whit my Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor.

Colours are beautiful and it comes calibrated out of the factory.

Best thing, your not limited to a 30Hz refresh rate if you use display port.

(its display port i believe, please do double check though)

Here's a English review of it;

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6179/17/17-ultra-hd-monitors-review-pixel-explosion-philips-bdm4065uc

The test results,

http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/266281/philips-bdm4065uc/testresults

unfortunately, the full and extensive product review is only available in Dutch;

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5945/philips-bdm4065uc-monitor-review-echt-groot-beeld

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

there's a great deal on a 40" UHDTV (4k) in my local shop, so that's 3840x2160 resolution

that a boat load more than my current 1920x1200 monition which gets awesome frame rates.

i have an i7 4GHz with 8GB and a GTX780 8GB

i wonder if DCS would run ok on that setup on a 3840x2160 tv plugged into the HDMI port.

thanks

I got for 700 euros a 40 inch 4K philips Monitor and i seriously love it. I am waiting for Ati to release the FuryX x2 that will replace the R295 X2 so i can run all games at 4K with extreme settings even for several years.

I strongly recommend it for this price.

http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-philips-brilliance-bdm4065uc-4k-40-inch-monitor/

On a second thought, it might be worth checking for a VR set instead. I got two young kids and i need constant situation warness, otherwise i would opt for the Occulus Rift

Greek/German origin.

Flying sims since 1984.

Using computers since 1977.

Favored FS's:F/A18 Interceptor, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunnship, F16 Combat Pilot, Flight of the Intruder, A320, Falcon 4.0, MSFS 2004-X, DCS

I think you need to check your specs mate, GTX780's had 3GB of memory

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

The Samsung J6500 series 40" 4k is a 120Hz TV that does 4K at 60Hz. I ordered a quality 10' HDMI Cable for about $8 and have not have any issues with poor signal causing it to revert back to 30Hz. I purchased the TV for less than $600 so I couldn't justify the premium for the monitors. I researched the possible lag issue but with the TV in game mode there is none.

I believe the only benefit of my 2X760s in SLI to a single 780 currently is the increase in video memory I receive, but from researching if you are wanting to upgrade your GPU for 4k get a better single card then SLI.

The Samsung J6500 series 40" 4k is a 120Hz TV that does 4K at 60Hz. I ordered a quality 10' HDMI Cable for about $8 and have not have any issues with poor signal causing it to revert back to 30Hz. I purchased the TV for less than $600 so I couldn't justify the premium for the monitors. I researched the possible lag issue but with the TV in game mode there is none.

I believe the only benefit of my 2X760s in SLI to a single 780 currently is the increase in video memory I receive, but from researching if you are wanting to upgrade your GPU for 4k get a better single card then SLI.

HDMI 2.0 will restrict you to 30Hz. Even if you try to get over this you will end up with half of your screen being black.

The only way to have the data transfer rate you need to achive 60 is display port 1.2.

So if you are aiming to use it for apps it might be OK but not for any serious games.

The only TV's that got display port 1.2 are some Panasonic models and some cheap chinese ones.

Greek/German origin.

Flying sims since 1984.

Using computers since 1977.

Favored FS's:F/A18 Interceptor, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunnship, F16 Combat Pilot, Flight of the Intruder, A320, Falcon 4.0, MSFS 2004-X, DCS

I am not sure where you did your research but putting two cards in SLI doesn't give you twice as much memory. The memory is mirrored from one card to the other, so if you have a two 2GB cards in SLI, you still only have 2GB of VRAM available.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ah, I confirm your input that SLI does not double the video memory. But I believe people have taken the whole DisplayPort is the only way to far. HDMI 2.0 does in fact give 60Hz for 4K, I have it set to mine in Nvidia Control Panel.

But back to the OP's question, I have no issue with a 4k TV over a Monitor. I understand I will never see 120 FPS on my TV at only 60Hz but I don't believe you could possibly tell a difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS in DCS unless we start doing FPS in CA.

hi, the OP here, yes i read the specs wrong, my GTX780 is 3GB, the TV i'm looking at is an LG and it does not have display port. anyhow the shop said i could take my computer over and they would plug it in so i can try it out. i'll try that today and thanks for all the info

you want 4k @ 60Hz

4:4:4 chroma

and run over DP2

also, how fast the pixels turn on and off (forgot the term) is very important --- i'm seeing "artifacts" if i move my view left and right quickly

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i just got the tv and it looks amazing, its actually 43" and i'm sitting about 2' (60-70cm) away and it looks very immersive. the clarity is fantastic, especially when low flying close the ground. frame rate is good, looks like i'm getting 60fps.

DCS has done an amazing job with the terrain graphics, just blows FSX and BMS out of the virtual sky.

so i've got my DCS rig running well. i'm using freetracknoir. its awesome, no head gear required like track IR and its basically free if you have a webcam. and because my monitor is so big and i'm so close, i have about a +/- 30deg FOV in real world so i translate that to +/-180deg camera yaw in the game and i can see everything without taking my eyes off the screen

anyhow, in many ways better than my old rift, no uncomfortable head gear, no sim sickness and the resolution is mind blowing, and i'm only using about 60% cpu with all than and voice commands running too.

Edit: Yes, you will be fine, this is with a single GTX 780 OC and a i5-2500K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM.

Got 2x 24" and one 27" 4k monitor with Gsync, running DCS only on the 4k. After removing nvidia experience, I get 170 FPS at low settings at 4k in DCS World 1.5.2, instant action A10C, georgia hills easy.

(Before I uninstalled the nvidia stuff I got approx 20 FPS. That's a long way from 170 FPS that I get now.)

Edit 2: With 16x AA, high, textures, 2X MSAA and Ultra view range I still get 140 FPS.

Edited by millmax

its an LG 43UF77 but i expect they are all pretty much the same. i took my PC into the store and plugged it in and checked everything worked ok with DCS before buying just to be sure. i suggest anyone do that.

i see the msrp is $1699 on that, i paid 22000 thai baht which is about $612 so i think i did ok

Edited by steve2112