DCS on Samsung Gear VR!!!

Aries

The quality is superb! HUD readable, zoom working (it's not Stereo 3D, in stereo, zooming changes focus and fubars the image... but stereo 3d also works). FPS is 60 on High Intugame quality with strong WiFi (AC1200 router, 780Mbps connection)... Seems that Intugame doesn't go above that so I keep vsync on when flying in the VR (i7 4790K, GTX970, 1920x1080).

I haven't managed (not yet tried) 6DOF but 3DOF works great with some mouselook axises tweaking, with Intugame tracking and also OpenTrack FreePIE plugin (needs regular Intugame and not the Gear VR version).

All in all, a great experience...

If you have some of the Samsung high res phones (S6, EDGE...) or plan to get one, the Gear VR at 100$ and the 10$ Intugame are a Sierra Hotel pick...

:thumbup:

I know the feeling of accomplishment when you get something like that working,, ;-) Congratulations... And within a few months we can get the Rift if all goes well. I really wonder how we can effectively use the rift with the keyboard we need to use as well.. My Hotas just doesn't have all the buttons available... Unless using the mouse works a lot easier in VR.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is a problem...

I guess, some fast ALT+TAB bound to a HOTAS button that displays the camera utility that is for example mounted on the Gear VR and pointed at the keyboard...

Cause switching to the pass-through mobile phone camera is too slow i guess...

...maybe to ask the Intugame developers to implement a camera passthrough shortcut like the genuine Oculus apps for Gear VR have...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

The quality is superb! HUD readable, zoom working (it's not Stereo 3D, in stereo, zooming changes focus and fubars the image... but stereo 3d also works). FPS is 60 on High Intugame quality with strong WiFi (AC1200 router, 780Mbps connection)... Seems that Intugame doesn't go above that so I keep vsync on when flying in the VR (i7 4790K, GTX970, 1920x1080).

I haven't managed (not yet tried) 6DOF but 3DOF works great with some mouselook axises tweaking, with Intugame tracking and also OpenTrack FreePIE plugin (needs regular Intugame and not the Gear VR version).

All in all, a great experience...

If you have some of the Samsung high res phones (S6, EDGE...) or plan to get one, the Gear VR at 100$ and the 10$ Intugame are a Sierra Hotel pick...

thanks.

I have the dk2 which I'm selling to build up the funds for the cv1. and my personal phone is the note 4 and I have the gear vr for that.

but I might have a play with the gear vr In the meantime to see what it's like :thumbup:

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

thanks.

I have the dk2 which I'm selling to build up the funds for the cv1. and my personal phone is the note 4 and I have the gear vr for that.

but I might have a play with the gear vr In the meantime to see what it's like :thumbup:

Could you compare your impression of resolution between the two?

Can the Rift do just the sim without stereo 3D?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

of course I will. will have a look later.

about the rift not using stereo. I'm sure it can. if I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected lol

can't reply to your pm..your inbox is too full lol

With Rift prices announcement this start to be more actual.

There is two dissent GearVR replicas with even some better possibilities such as individual lens tune.

TERA VR Box

GMYLE VR

LG G3 with 2560x1440, 530ppi you can find new for 200€

Plus apps like intogame or trinus VR all could be less than 300€

With such price of Rift I expect demand for such apps will be larger what will make profitable developing such apps and expect even better performance in future.

Any EM waves are not good for you.

I don't think you can cast a wholly negative light on EM waves (no pun intended). Life itself depends on EM waves... But yes, all forms of life can also be damaged by EM waves as well, either through overexposure or underexposure. They are a bit of a double-edged sword.

For example, the human body needs a consistent dose of UV waves in the length range of 290-300nm in order for it to synthesize vitamin D. For those of us in the northern hemisphere, this is a bit of a problem since we do not get the needed exposure during the winter months and so vitamin D supplements are needed (many food products here, like milk, are supplemented with vitamin D for this reason).

Edited by Razi
  • Like 1

I have a serious problem with the DIY VR.. when enabling the native stereo resolution the HUD sight is not aligned (because each eye has a different angle) and it renders it useless. I know I can use a 3D driver but the native effect is much nicer. is there a workaround? Maybe making the HUD cursors 2D?

I don't think you can cast a wholly negative light on EM waves (no pun intended). Life itself depends on EM waves... But yes, all forms of life can also be damaged by EM waves as well, either through overexposure or underexposure. They are a bit of a double-edged sword.

For example, the human body needs a consistent dose of UV waves in the length range of 290-300nm in order for it to synthesize vitamin D. For those of us in the northern hemisphere, this is a bit of a problem since we do not get the needed exposure during the winter months and so vitamin D supplements are needed (many food products here, like milk, are supplemented with vitamin D for this reason).

True. I was more thinking in line of over-exposure to them, which I think we would be if we are to wear the headset for few hours and every day (which I think is what I will be doing)

No longer active in DCS...

I tried Trinus and maybe it was my settings but the image was WAY too small and I couldn't see the mouse pointer at all, had no idea what I was trying to click on and the HUD was unreadable.

Doesn't trinus use windowed mode? Have you tried another streaming app like Kino? If your card is Nvidia you can use Moonlight for better performance. Can you please try DCS native stereo 3D and tell me if you can get the crosshair on the HUD centered without crossing your eyes?

Why bother with 3D? It cuts your resolution in half and is pretty flimsy with clarity of elements if not set up right...

One should render it in 4K to get a decent detailed stereo output on the today available inVRhelmet-mobilephones...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why bother with 3D? It cuts your resolution in half and is pretty flimsy with clarity of elements if not set up right...

One should render it in 4K to get a decent detailed stereo output on the today available inVRhelmet-mobilephones...

I wouldn't play with cardboard VR in multiplayer.. but sometimes you want to play using the novelty of 3D/VR :smilewink:

IS there a way to do it without 3D? In all honesty I dont really care about 3D, a phone screen in all honestly does not have the resolution to pull it off.

Trinus has a fake 3D option.

KinoConsole can duplicate images on the phone itself, and so does Intugame VR (payware).. Make sure you connect via USB tethering and not Wifi.

• 2 weeks later...
I just recently acquired the Samsung Gear VR consumer edition...

It's an amazing gadget with fun apps, games & features and am waiting for the consumer Rift...

BUT!!!

There is this little app:

http://intugame.com/

Intugame Gear VR Premium on Google play

It makes streaming in Stereo 3D of DCS windowed mode to your Gear VR possible!!!

And detects your head movements and translates them to mouse movements in cockpit (mouselook should be on)!!!

It works amazingly good and the Samsung S6 which I use has 2560x1440 resolution and makes the hud perfectly readable...

It is just 3DOF but it's great...

THE ONLY THING THAT IS A MUST IS "WiFi AC1200" standard wireless throughput...

Without it there is lag...

By the reviews the Netgear A6210 is a damn good 802.11ac USB card & I just ordered one...

Will keep you posted here if it works flawless...

The standard Intugame Gear VR has a 10 minute limit...

Great information. So if I get / install the above will I be good to go. Later on in the thread you mentioned a better router, shall I get that? The router I have was supplied via internet company. Thanks for any advice. A ytube for dummies on how to would be great. Thanks.

Happen to have a Netgear AC1200 dual band and you will still get some slight lag. It really isnt that much however. For me its totally playable and feels somewhat as my TV at 15-20ish MS lag. Cant say im getting any motion sickness either but i might be immune as ive worked as a fisherman spending months at sea.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Happen to have a Netgear AC1200 dual band and you will still get some slight lag. It really isnt that much however. For me its totally playable and feels somewhat as my TV at 15-20ish MS lag. Cant say im getting any motion sickness either but i might be immune as ive worked as a fisherman spending months at sea.

It's good, isn't it?

I just set the in-game saturation on mouselook axises for YAW and PITCH to be as close to 1:1 head movement as possible... vertical movement input from Intugame on 100% sensitivity is a little too low and horizontal movement is a little too much...

For example, this are my MiG-21 mouselook axises with changed saturation for Intugame Gear VR usage:

MOUSE_AXISES_INTUGAME.png

Edited by Aries

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]