Professional and affordable TrackIR alternative

hegykc

I think it's still too early for the VR headsets to mature and not everyone can afford those pricey headsets so there's plenty of scope for these head tracking devices... At least till the time the prices of the VR headsets reduce significantly which I reckon will not happen anytime soon... Also not to forget the hardware upgrade costs for supporting these VR headsets...

BTW hegykc, how long before we see these trackers on sale?

Nash

I absolutely agree; I only get an hour or two each week on my PC and simply can't justify dropping over £400 on a view headset; I wouldn't pay it for a monitor. Hegykc's tracker seems made for me; hopefully it performs as well as its competitors seem to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The only replacement for a Buccaneer is a Buccaneer".

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, but unfortunately a couple of years too late. Flight simmers will be spending, or saving their monies to spend on VR headsets with built in tracking, with ten times the immersion of TrackIR.

On the contrary, wtih the 700$ announced for a non mature project it's the perfect moment to have a 35$ alternative.

VR will be mature in a few years and the price will fall. The replika's trackIr is a good investissement now

Nice, but unfortunately a couple of years too late. Flight simmers will be spending, or saving their monies to spend on VR headsets with built in tracking, with ten times the immersion of TrackIR.

In a "perfect world" maybe...

I know dozen of "simmers" that will happy if can buy a TrackIR - the thing cost ~150$ only for Americans.

Let us know if that improvement shows in performance

Yes in way of more reliable and precise head tracking.

Movement when it works in both cases is the same but with better focus I didn't get in situation to lose tracking or dots overlapping and canceling.

So it is important feature.

Lock the camera in one of the two focus positions. Hold something in front of the camera about 2 feet away and slowly move it closer while watching the camera's output on your computer.

You'll likely see that in one of the two focus settings the camera is in only focus when 25mm away. The focal point probably moved because the IR filter acts as a hard stop for the lens assembly. Now the bright unfiltered IR light is an out of focus blob.

Try that and tell us the result.

Edited by SinusoidDelta

Thank you for posting it, I'm still on the fence between waiting for the Replika IR to enter production or a more expensive, but faster delivered, competitor and your video really helped in showing what the delanclip is all about and what it offers.

Too bad it doesnt have a magnet on it, I dont really see myself taping/zip tying it to my stainless steel headphone =/ Will keep F5'ing this thread for the next couple of weeks then...

EDIT: By the way, you can make the PS3 camera less wobbly by making a band of a piece of tape and sticking it between your speaker and camera

Edited by Vincent90

By the way, you can make the PS3 camera less wobbly by making a band of a piece of tape and sticking it between your speaker and camera

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how to mount it somewhere stable, there is just not a single flat surface anywhere near my screen :/ Furthermore, you can rotate the cam but you can't change the vertical angle of it.

Or you can use Poxilina http://www.poxilina.com/ or another similar product to create a solid 100% custom base for it.

Because it is a sort of glue I suggest using some paper tape to cover the monitor until the product solidifies, then lift it up carefully (use a knife to detach it carefully), clean the paper, paint it and... voila

a.thumb.jpg.95d6222970dddee1cd1b54ae10faae68.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.c3583c22357fbc8fcb81a10dd394a784.jpg

c.thumb.jpg.4afef5a342705be9bd5fc07902ab93ee.jpg

d.thumb.jpg.eb042e95b0a6b024dde408784ff1ddda.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

You can also make a silicone paste made of plumbing clear silicone, acrylic paint, and corn starch. You will end up with something like the Sugru mouldable glue. It's easy to remove without harming your monitor and it's cheap. (there are many recipes)

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Or you can use Poxilina http://www.poxilina.com/ or another similar product to create a solid 100% custom base for it.

Because it is a sort of glue I suggest using some paper tape to cover the monitor until the product solidifies, then lift it up carefully (use a knife to detach it carefully), clean the paper, paint it and... voila

I'm from central Europe so not much into aesthetics but damn, this looks like a bundle of boogers :megalol:

I presume that poxilina is the same as polymorph on ebay. Its very good and easy to use, and good for making loads of stuff. I made my car phone holder from it a while ago. did the job well

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

...or you can really spend those 4 bucks on that plastic holder ;):D

I bet a plastic holder cant hold a candle against my poxiline support. :pilotfly: If needed I bring 2 cats :D

I'm from central Europe so not much into aesthetics but damn, this looks like a bundle of boogers

It's a combination of elements, old phone camera, old marker+nail lacquer, finger prints, dust. :P In fact the poxiline is the white stuff you can see underneath, very homogeneous material, the black stuff is just silly paint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Hey hegykc,

Any chance of releasing your final Tracking device as a Valentines gift for the DCS community to Buy? :smartass:

:beer::beer::beer:

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

This is my DIY clip. You just need a paper. fold that paper and put it on your monitor and then put that clip to prevent scratching your monitor

attachment.php?attachmentid=132289&d=1452086852

attachment.php?attachmentid=132290&d=1452086852

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

Now that is how you say Aesthetics to go to heck! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This makes me wish I hadn't just ordered a Delan clip to replace my broken track clip pros... and the $20 pos I ordered from hong kong.

I'd buy this just for the clip.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.