Harrier GR7 & GR9 Confirmed

Slipp

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer F-15E next as a fast multirole.

But ok for Harrier.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Random, the Gr.7 would have be 25 years old and most systems are simple and comparable to aircraft of the era, like Tornado Gr.1, F-16A or F/A-18 (without the radars..). Hopefully the information is available for most systems apart from the rwr and das. As you say, the Gr.9 would be slightly different as it is a lot more recent and the tech would still be classified. :music_whistling:

This is brilliant news......a Harrier!.....this isn't a wind up is it?

Jezz, this will be a blast from the past. I spent 5 years working on them whilst in the RAF, they really are a fantastic little jet, all bycicle chains and sprockets! GR7 has much better avionics....I worked on GR3 and the FRS1 Sea Harrier.

This will be one module I would pay anything for!!! :joystick:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Random, the Gr.7 would have be 25 years old and most systems are simple and comparable to aircraft of the era, like Tornado Gr.1, F-16A or F/A-18 (without the radars..). Hopefully the information is available for most systems apart from the rwr and das. As you say, the Gr.9 would be slightly different as it is a lot more recent and the tech would still be classified. :music_whistling:

AFAIK Gr.7 was in service up until 2006 ish... when the Gr.9 was introduced. That's still gonna be classified!

AFAIK Gr.7 was in service up until 2006 ish... when the Gr.9 was introduced. That's still gonna be classified!

But both the Gr.7 and Gr.9s are retired and no longer in service.

The M 2000C on the other hand is still in service.

I think they will most likley be able to get their hands on the info they need to make a first class module.

Being an air-to-air addict I was hoping they'd do the Mirage 2000-5 or at least the AV-8B Plus, oh well...

I would love the Av-8B+ but they said in the podcast that if they do the Av-8B, it's going to be the Av-8B(NA) which from my understanding is a Gr.7 with US weaponry.

A bit of a shame, it would be awesome to have the Gr.7/9 that has IR sensors over radar along side the Av-8B that lacks IR sensors in favor of a radar. But as it stands, from the consumer PoV... it's looking to be Gr.7/9 or AV-8B(NA). They're not going to be different enough to buy both.

That's if they even do the Av-8B(NA)

I would love the Av-8B+ but they said in the podcast that if they do the Av-8B, it's going to be the Av-8B(NA) which from my understanding is a Gr.7 with US weaponry.

A bit of a shame, it would be awesome to have the Gr.7/9 that has IR sensors over radar along side the Av-8B that lacks IR sensors in favor of a radar. But as it stands, from the consumer PoV... it's looking to be Gr.7/9 or AV-8B(NA). They're not going to be different enough to buy both.

That's if they even do the Av-8B(NA)

This is something i want to know.What is the difference between the RAF Harriers GR7/GR9 and the USMC version AV-8B apart from the weapons.Do they carry different types of radar or electronics in the cockpit.

The problem with the AV-8B+ (Radar) is that DCS does not have an AG radar. And the main reason for mounting a radar on the AV-8B+ is to use it for AG operations. So it is a waste of effort to do something that will be incomplete. The moment DCS has a working AG radar, is the moment we implement the AV-8B+ (radar).

The main differences between GR7/Gr9 and AV-8B+(NA) is weapons management. The US Marines are more conservative in how the load weapons in the aircraft than the Brits.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Really? And here I thought I was the typical American by wanting to carry half the armory with me on every sortie.:lol:

Regardless, I'm pleased ya'll are working on a series of Harriers next. I still think the eastern block needs to be a priority for the next round of modules, but of the western stuff, the Harriers offer something different from the existing and upcoming stuff. Day 1 buy for me I think.

What bummer! I was so looking forward to the A-7 Corsair II and then possibly the A-6 Intruder after that. :( OH well, I'm happy for all you Harrier fans out there! :thumbup: Patience is a virture most important to cultivate if your hobby is involved with DCS. I guess this means that ED's F/A-18C isn't quite ready for prime time either :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]