I flew this week with an A-10 driver

Crashmo

We talked a lot over 3 days and he forwarded this to me:

[ame=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/VOL%202%20Suite%204.xls]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/VOL%202%20Suite%204.xls[/ame]

It is a combat deployment syllabus that they used for proper weapon deployment on various targets.

For reasons of mod checking, me thinks, the link is not showing just yet. Give it a while and I'll repost if necessary.

Edited by Crashmo
added dropbox link

Anyone else come here expecting to read a decent story?

We talked for 3 days over the trip. He is available for Q & A if you have any. He was in the seat for about 3000 hours including several deployments from Kuwait onward. He was also trained in the F-35 (I noticed your sig). Most of his time was in the A model, but the last years and about 300 hours including tours in the Charlie.

He seems amicable to help us. His last stint was at Fort Lewis as liaison with the army, writing CAS manuals and coordination. He knows what is still classified and is not afraid to say so--as I found out.

I don't know why, but the document area where I posted a link is a big blank box to me. I'll try again here:

[ame]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/VOL%202%20Suite%204.xls[/ame]

Could you ask him if A-10s ever really attack tanks with their guns anymore, or is it just precision guided bombs and Mavericks now?

Edit: If not, what is the gun commonly used against these days? Is it more of a last ditch weapon and an economical weapon against soft skinned vehicles, or is it the first choice compared to PGMs?

Edit2: Oh, and see if you can ask him if they still use binoculars to search for targets, even with the inclusion of the targetting pod. Do A-10s fly low enough to ID targets on their own or do they exclusively rely on JTAC to point out targets for them?

Edited by Xavven

Could you ask him if A-10s ever really attack tanks with their guns anymore, or is it just precision guided bombs and Mavericks now?

Edit: If not, what is the gun commonly used against these days? Is it more of a last ditch weapon and an economical weapon against soft skinned vehicles, or is it the first choice compared to PGMs?

Edit2: Oh, and see if you can ask him if they still use binoculars to search for targets, even with the inclusion of the targetting pod. Do A-10s fly low enough to ID targets on their own or do they exclusively rely on JTAC to point out targets for them?

Very good questions! Hoping to here back from those guys!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

If he isn't an active pilot he can't answer about what we currently are engaging. I can say with 100% certainty recent gun attacks have been on motorcycles, oil trucks, and personnel. But that is all I can say at the moment. The choice in what munition is used is up to the JTAC most of the time.

Edited by Snoopy

If he isn't an active pilot he can't answer about what we currently are engaging. I can say with 100% certainty recent gun attacks have been on motorcycles, oil trucks, and personnel. But that is all I can say at the moment. The choice in what munition is used is up to the JTAC most of the time.

You made me laugh when talking about motorcycles, have you seen the same video as me hehe ;)

I flew this week with an A-10 driver

Qualified JTACs don't grow on trees so the FAC (aviator assigned to a battalion) or FAC-A, or the ground maneuver element commander, can ask for ceratin things in the JTAR...

...and the pilot is qualified to do his own weaponeering based on his judgement, and can accept or reject specific weapon requests from the guy on the ground based on threat, expected danger close considerations, civilian/infrastructure considerations, and so on.

As I said most of the time, specifically to my current deployment anyways.

You made me laugh when talking about motorcycles, have you seen the same video as me hehe ;)

Unless you've seen a video from the last few days then no.

He indicated that most of the work is with precision guided these days to avoid collateral damage. The guns were still employed often for close air support. I can ask him about the binoculars and get back to you. He said they used NVGs a lot. He told a story of a guy that had thrown his NVG case on the aft left console. It was getting in the way of his left elbow and he shoved it with his elbow. It turned something hydraulic off and he either landed gear up or ejected, I can't remember the exact details. I'm sure he was promoted. :smilewink:

Yep, total loss of airframe after ejecting. 1996 or 1997 New York- I haven't been able to find anything about it, though.

The TGP was used a great deal in the C. I'm not so sure about the A.

I'll forward the other questions and get back to you.

I just put the email out to him. Trev seems to be up to speed on most of this stuff anyway.

Edited by Crashmo
update story.

From the horses mouth

We know there aren't any more tanks to melt, so...

is it just precision guided bombs and Mavericks now?

It's been a couple of years since I flew but the gun system is still the primary weapon. It is great for close contact employment. Point effects and high certainty where the impact will be for the JTAC. I have seen film of pilots shooting with less than 50 meters to friendly forces. Only the a-10 can do that.

If not, what is the gun commonly used against these days? Is it more of a last ditch weapon and an economical weapon against soft skinned vehicles, or is it the first choice compared to PGMs?

As mentioned above and it is the quickest weapon to make an effect on a target. Point, shoot, dead. Bombs require specific conditions and targets move. For JDAMs moving targets are impossible. LGBs are possible but not practical. Maverick is great, but the environment makes or breaks the employment. Clutter, trees, buildings, etc may cause the lock to break while in flight.

Gun also allows for more standoff than a bomb at low altitude. Also you can hit 2 targets effectively in one pass.

Mixing ordnance within the flight is also nice. Normally flight lead shoots to make and wingman drops a larger weapon on the target. It also helps for fragmentation considerations. Flying through a bomb explosion normally results in bad things happening.

Oh, and see if you can ask him if they still use binoculars to search for targets, even with the inclusion of the targeting pod. Do A-10s fly low enough to ID targets on their own or do they exclusively rely on JTAC to point out targets for them?

Binos allow for seeing color.

A-10s can I'd targets, but ROE may dictate that is not allowed.

Targeting pod is great for ID. Binds help too. In all cases for CAS, a JTAC has to have a target I'd somehow. It can be from an aircrew.

That's all for now, thanks,

You may want to see if you can find a copy of JCAS online. It is the CAS bible. It may be very hard to find as it is an official document.

:thumbup:I have a copy of the JCAS in pdf form. If anyone wants it I'll publish a link to my dropbox when I get home. My Canada connection is not friendly with my dropbox account.

• Like 1

Good Reads

[ame]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Close%20Air%20Support.pdf[/ame]

[ame]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/A-10%20FAQ%20rev1.2.pdf[/ame]

[ame]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/armyA10andAH64combination.pdf[/ame]

[ame]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Not%20Fade%20Away.pdf[/ame]

[ame]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48882875/Visual%20Aircraft%20Recognition.pdf[/ame]

Here they are. The first is the JCAS and the others are just good A-10 reads. I got them from this community elsewhere on this forum so you may have seen them already. :thumbup:

• 3 months later...