MIG29M OVT @ RIAT 2006 (12 Large Pics)

Took this pictures (plus more) at RIAT today. Also took a video of the MiG spooling up and taxing. Then doing some maneuvres. I waited all day for this plane. Its stunning.

KIF_1616.JPG

KIF_1622.JPG

KIF_1774.JPG

KIF_1775.JPG

KIF_1778.JPG

KIF_1798.JPG

KIF_1799.JPG

KIF_1801.JPG

KIF_1815.JPG

KIF_1816.JPG

KIF_1820.JPG

KIF_1822.JPG

I'll post the video up when I can.

Did anyone go? I saw a few avid photographers waiting for the MiG as well. I was the one with Camo hat and god awefull coloured ruck sack. :D

They added MDC lines on the canopy to allow low speed ejections through the transparency, cool.

I was wondering what those were.

MiG have a real super star there with the OVT.

Now just get six of them and let the Swifts have a go, :thumbup:

Reminds me of the time I went there a few years back and saw my first Mig! It pulled a cobra even though I didnt realise what it was at the time it was the most spectacular manouevre i had seen (definitley beats a harrier hovering and VERY slowly reversing or some other lame thing :P)

I havent been since though I guess i should next time.

Great pics. I see it's number 156. Does it perhaps mean that it was MiG-29M Blue 156 (sixth prototype) which was modified to OVT?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Nice, do they take the guns out as well?

The gun appears to be in the right place, all clean and stuff, maybe that's why you didn't notice it.

P.S. I have lots of photos from an aviation museum, with special attention to the K-36V in the Yak-38, the R-60M, R-73 and R-27 (missiles are all cut open, so you can see the electronic stuff inside)

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Great pics. I see it's number 156. Does it perhaps mean that it was MiG-29M Blue 156 (sixth prototype) which was modified to OVT?

Spot on ijozic! :)

The "OVT" is the sixth and final MiG-29M(9-15) prototype modified with the TVC engines, while the new two-seat MiG-29M2 was built on the basis of the fourth airframe(#154).

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Hey Alfa, I saw a pic of an OVT that was painted in overall dark olive green, it had the usuall 8 underwing pylons, but it was also equiped with wingtip rails aswell!. There were dummy R-73s fitted to them.

Is there currently more than one OVT airframe?

Alfa, answer the man, in the meantime, I can confirm that those lines are for canopy fracturing purposes, as I happen to have a photo of a "su-20M something" (with the K-36 seat), and it has a similar MDC pattern, but the ignition starts from the side, and not from the back of the canopy as on the 29M OVT. :) Guess they encountered some egress difficulties with the gas generating devices at slow speeds, as seen in the Mig-29 manual, the minimum ejection speed for vanilla migs, with the canopy still attatched, is 76 km/h, this is due to the relatively cold, and weak gas generators, that propel the canopy away from the airframe (in conjunction with the normal operating cylindre, operating in an 'overload' mode). Guess the canopy remains locked when ejecting under 75 km/h in the mig-29M OVT ;).

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Hey Alfa, I saw a pic of an OVT that was painted in overall dark olive green, it had the usuall 8 underwing pylons, but it was also equiped with wingtip rails aswell!. There were dummy R-73s fitted to them.

Is there currently more than one OVT airframe?

I don't think so mate :) . At MAKS-2001(IIRC) the "OVT" was presented for the first time(with mock-up engine nozzles) - it was painted in a standard two-tone green camouflage scheme and had dummy R-73s fitted on some new F-16 style wingtip pylons.

It sounds like the photo you saw might have been from back then :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Me mate had a db meter on his phone..it went up to 114 db..both the mig,superbug and b1 all went off the scale...the superbug seemed loudest to me..it was actually painfull when it pointed its tail your way

The Mig display was awesome...a plane shouldnt be able to do stuff like that

nice pics

oo err...missus:animals_bunny:

** Anti-Pastie**

Nice pics..

I want to see the vid of the engines starting.. (I posted one of the blue angels starting theirs when I went to their airshow in Oceana last year, and its freaking sweet)

I'd love to compare both.

wonder if I could rip the sound and use in lockon, hmmm...

sig-YF19a.jpg

Spot on ijozic! :)

The "OVT" is the sixth and final MiG-29M(9-15) prototype modified with the TVC engines, while the new two-seat MiG-29M2 was built on the basis of the fourth airframe(#154).

Cheers,

- JJ.

Damn! They took my favourite M prototype which I wanted to make out of my Trumpeter 1/32 model kit. What happened to the 155?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Damn! They took my favourite M prototype which I wanted to make out of my Trumpeter 1/32 model kit.

Hehe - yeah they did.

BTW did you see that Trumpeter also made a kit(same scale) for the MiG-29K? - I am not a scale modeller myself, but I stumbled on a kit-review while surfing the net for MiG-29K photos :) .

What happened to the 155?

I don't know, but I think it is still around in its original form - AFAIK only # 154 and 156 have been rebuilt, so there should be 4 unaltered 9-15 prototypes left :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ