MIG29M OVT @ RIAT 2006 (12 Large Pics)

BTW did you see that Trumpeter also made a kit(same scale) for the MiG-29K? - I am not a scale modeller myself, but I stumbled on a kit-review while surfing the net for MiG-29K photos :) .

I'm a seasoned modeler myself only and it's been a long drought ;)

Yes, I'm aware of the K version. I still feel the consequences of large debts I was left with after the purchase of the M version. :) K would have been my first choice of course, but when my sister was in Prague it wasn't available yet. So I had to settle with the M version (my sister had to settle with dragging that behemot box along, unfortunatelly.. for her..). Still haven't started it (I'm lacking time plus still haven't decided if I'll use the kit's cockpit or an aftermarket one).

I'd also like a Kuznetsov model but it's hard to decide whether to get the 1/700 one or the huge 1/350 one (plus the photo-etch extras which aren't cheap and the paints and time..). Good thing is, they supply the Migs and Yaks as well so you can build it like it was envisaged to be.

I don't know, but I think it is still around in its original form - AFAIK only # 154 and 156 have been rebuilt, so there should be 4 unaltered 9-15 prototypes left :)

I think I saw a reference of them in the Fomin's book. I'll have to dig it up and check.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yes, I'm aware of the K version. I still feel the consequences of large debts I was left with after the purchase of the M version :) .

Heh yeah I noticed that the price tag was a little on the steep side :) .

K would have been my first choice of course, but when my sister was in Prague it wasn't available yet. So I had to settle with the M version (my sister had to settle with dragging that behemot box along, unfortunatelly.. for her..). Still haven't started it (I'm lacking time plus still haven't decided if I'll use the kit's cockpit or an aftermarket one).

I was wondering about the cockpit bit - what does it look like? :) . There seems to be two versions of the real MiG-29M cockpit - one that looks like this:

MIG29M_pit.jpg

MiG-29M pit - which is all but identical to the MiG-29K one except for the missing AOA indicator on the HUD frame and a few switches.

....and another that looks like this:

fulcrum2.jpg

....which looks more like that of the SMT - similar layout but retaining the monochrome CRT displays seen in the first picture.

I'd also like a Kuznetsov model but it's hard to decide whether to get the 1/700 one or the huge 1/350 one (plus the photo-etch extras which aren't cheap and the paints and time..). Good thing is, they supply the Migs and Yaks as well so you can build it like it was envisaged to be.

Yes I guess it is all down to the detail level. I would go for the 1:350 scale, if for no other reason, to get some reasonably sized aircraft to work with - and I believe you can also get a 1:350 Sovremenny class destroyer to go with it :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Heh yeah I noticed that the price tag was a little on the steep side :) .

Yeah, the shop wasn't making any charities with their percentage ;) It can be found much cheaper now, especially on eBay if you live in Germany or USA for instance.

I was wondering about the cockpit bit - what does it look like? :) . There seems to be two versions of the real MiG-29M cockpit - one that looks like this:

It looks like the second cockpit you posted. The Black Box aftermarket one is the same.

http://www.ipmsusa.org/Reviews/Details/Aircraft/Black_Box_32_Mig29M_cockpit/Black_Box_32_Mig29M_cockpit.htm

Yes I guess it is all down to the detail level. I would go for the 1:350 scale, if for no other reason, to get some reasonably sized aircraft to work with - and I believe you can also get a 1:350 Sovremenny class destroyer to go with it :) .

Are you sure you're not a modeler? ;) Sovremenny is also on a must-do list. It's even available in my country for a reasonable price and the only reason why I didn't order it is because I want to get the photo-etched set for it first.

The problem with a 350 Kuz is that I don't know where I'd put it. I measured and it won't fit. But 1/700 looks like a toy. Tough decision. The plot would thicken if Trumpeter would make a many man's dream come true and put out a 1/350 Kirov class battleship. Now that would be awesome! (Slava and Udaloy wouldn't hurt, too ;)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!