R550 Magic 2 performance

iLOVEwindmills

FACT even MAGIC I was a 50G missile and started maneuvering a lot earlier post launch than the AIM9L/M !

ED has really dropped the ball on the 550/530 series from what I have seen on the forums. Not living up to posted ranges, wrong HE warhead weights and very odd drag. Hopefully they look at them and realize someone messed up a decimal point or something and it is a fairly simple fix.

sadly thats not an option in MP.

104th are allowing it for now.

I believe that "simple" warhead means it's using the in-game simple warhead logic and not the advanced one, don't know what the differences are though...doubt its any slight at the missile's capabilities.

damages inflicted to target modulation... "fpfuff", or "BOOM!"

In my play experience - whether its labeled simple or not, the R550 & R530 outright kill on a single hit...problem is they really never get a chance to hit.

Sedenion, can you do a similar compilation for the R530D? cheers :music_whistling:

Some people tried to post on DCS forum and the threads have been moved back here.

if the pilote throws his screw driver it would go further than this Magic. They are clearly buggy and you don't need to see the hard data to know that they are wrongly modeled.

One thing that keeps me hoping for a fix is that until less than a month ago these missiles were for AI only, therefore they were not a focus for ED as well. Now that we have a playable fighter that can carry them, ED has enough reasons to work on them.

Some people tried to post on DCS forum and the threads have been moved back here.

if the pilote throws his screw driver it would go further than this Magic. They are clearly buggy and you don't need to see the hard data to know that they are wrongly modeled.

One thing that keeps me hoping for a fix is that until less than a month ago these missiles were for AI only, therefore they were not a focus for ED as well. Now that we have a playable fighter that can carry them, ED has enough reasons to work on them.

Just because the thread is now here that doesn't mean that ED won't see it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Well.....maybe we'll see some changes when ED gets back to work next week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

They are not so good either during the burn. The drag chute is open the moment the missile is launched and the 550 flies ballistic for a second or two before it follows the seeker.

Its just that within the burn time is the only time they can successfully intercept a target.:joystick:

Issues with these missiles have been reported internally, so I am sure they will be looked at.

Well thats a good first step. Baby steps. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot down by own missile

OK, i know this maybe beating a dead horse already but i found this so 'on the nail' as to post it here.

Launch conditions: Mirage @M2.0 target @M1.6 and just under 2NM, altitude of both somewhere between 30k and 40k feet non maneuvering target tail chase.

Results: Missile deploys drogue chute on launch and fails kinematically to reach target, Mirage promptly overtakes its own missile in pursuit of target and missile detonates its proximity fuse as Mirage passes by it.

Couldn't have set this up if i tried.

:cry:

[ame]

[/ame]

Edit: addition...

Weren't there at some time long ago air to air missiles that were dumb fire? Since the R550 flies straight for about 1.5seconds maybe we could use the gun piper to aim it and get the right launch range info?

Edited by cauldron
typos
  • Like 3