[REPORTED] Model Visibility Issues

Mohamengina

Yeah, the spotting is insane. Zoom back (wide fov) and stuff on the ground appears. Zoom in and at a point they change size and color and becomes invisible until you're much closer. Its angry-making and it reinforces mission design for BVR fights and guided munitions.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The era is completely irrelevant.

Well if I can't see a WWII plane at 10 miles away at least he can't shoot me from that distance. With the modern era aircraft and weapons that's about point blank range.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Heh, no one is asking for an ability to ID a plane at 10 miles, that's beyond ludicrous. :) I barely manage to ID them at 500 yards.

IDing planes, and effectively keeping visual on them in a dogfight are two very different things.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• ED Team
Heh, no one is asking for an ability to ID a plane at 10 miles, that's beyond ludicrous. :) I barely manage to ID them at 500 yards.

IDing planes, and effectively keeping visual on them in a dogfight are two very different things.

ok, I possible misread, sorry guys. I know there is some activity internally, so dont get to down on all this. As I said its tough with the way shaders change right now, but ED knows how important this issue is.

I will say it shouldnt be 100% possible to always keep eyes on a target if you mess up, but it does need to be better than it is for sure.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

2 articles / papers I have come across on the subject, that both show, that its really hard to spot planes, especially smaller ones, at a given distance. Especially when they are contrasted against the terrain.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_memoranda/2006/RM4562.pdf

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0005594

And I dont think that is where the problem is in DCS, spotting at a distance. Thats almost to easy. The problem for me is in close, in the merge. There is this 'deadzone' where a plane becomes impossible to spot. At a distance a fraction further away, no problem spotting, and then at some point after this 'deadzone', the plane becomes visible again. But this deadzone is often right where the merge is happening, and you completely loose track of the plane, even when not looking away.

I think the current 'post-dot' concept is quite good - maybe too good at longer distances, and I think they should leave that 'post-dot' on all the time. Dont remove it (well maybe below 100m or something). Just have it centered on the plane, and when the plane is close enough to make out the silhouette of it, the dot wouldnt really block the ability to ID it, cause we are just talking 1 pixel. And let this 'post-dot' shimmer slightly - 'billboard' it to the sun, so when you are between it and the sun, it will be at its brightest shimmer etc.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Was just digging around some of the articles I had been reading lately, to find this particular part.

Attempting to use the environment and vertical separation to make us harder to see, I brought the nose on and had a speck in the target diamond on the heads up display (HUD). By about 2 miles the bogey had spotted us and turned nose on, and just inside of a mile I was able to visually identify (VID) him as an A-4E Skyhawk. Our game plan was set.

We passed left to left, turned left just far enough to keep him in sight, unloaded, accelerated and attempted to build separation. As the bogey’s nose was coming around towards us and approaching three miles separation, I went to idle power and extended the speed-brakes to slow rapidly to about 350 knots so that the Tomcat would turn at a good rate and small radius. The difficulty now would be to maintain sight of the relatively tiny A-4.

At three plus miles of separation and nose on, the A-4 was a speck as we looked over our left shoulders about 160 degrees aft of the direction we were heading. We had the separation; it was now time to pitch back and shoot the A-4 in the face. The hard part would be maintaining sight. It was difficult enough while extending away, but now smack 6.5 Gs on and it would be infinitely more difficult, but we were successful.

From this great article: - cant remember who posted it here on the forum, and where.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/8282/how-to-fight-to-win-in-the-f-14-a-4-and-f-5-at-the-navys-topgun-school

And Ive read the same about the F-5, at Top Gun. Its really hard to spot.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Sorry quoting this from an indirect source as original papers could not found on the Internet but again from Serfoss 2003 it was said...

In 1983, Kress & Brictson studied 87 air-to-air engagements at the Yuma TACTS

range. Average unaided detection distances for the target F-5 and F-4 aircraft were 3.1

nmi.

Another study by Hutchins in 1978 at the Air Combat Maneuvering Range

(ACMR), which is the earlier name of the TACTS, involved 45 air combat training

engagements. The mean detection distance of the A-4 targets was 3.09, with a range of

0.38 to 6.23 nmi. Other studies were done using observers on the ground. With visibility

conditions spanning 7 to 10 miles over an 8-day testing period, O’Neal & Miller (1998)

found detection distances for approaching T-38 aircraft to ranged from 4.77 to 6.73 nmi.

Another ground observer study used 400 visual detections of a T-38 aircraft (Provines,

Rahe, Block, Pena, & Tredici, 1983). The aircraft was approaching from a known

direction and a distance of 9 miles and mean detection distance was 4.55 miles over the

400 trials

Reading also several other quotations on the paper it seems about 3.0nm would be an average detection distance to find the F-5/A-4 size target when you do not know where they are coming from, and 5.0nm If you already know where they are. Not sure about air conditions for each research.

Edited by chihirobelmo

Sounds fine to me. Now show me the research that describes aircraft disappearing at 1nmi while the pilot is watching them through the forward hemisphere of his canopy.:)

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

There is a study showing a curve for average detection distance based on aircraft size.

All I want to say is that it is a LOT less optimistic than most people like to say on the forums. For sure you can detect aircraft past those distances, but you have to know where to look for them, aspect matters, lighting matters etc.

As long as DCS cannot take all of this stuff into account, it should represent the mean case as best as opposible.

@gavagai, the 'dead zone' is also a huge problem, I agree.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I was considering to purchase a new monitor 24" Full HD, but I realised that I'm not lonely having trouble to see.

This issue should be priorized before release Normandy and WWII assets, we have no EOS, FCR or TGP to spot the targets in that environment.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

There is a study showing a curve for average detection distance based on aircraft size.

All I want to say is that it is a LOT less optimistic than most people like to say on the forums.

That is also believable depending on aircraft size and air condition but would like to see the quotation and research title...

FOV zoom until 20-degree in-sim also seems too easy to keep visual though it is trading off the sense of attitude. In some hard-core server, it should be limited depends on the resolution.

That said, a better system would I believe adjust the contrast of the target to make it stand out more, perhaps add some element of glinting to the aircraft frame, and apply some slight (slight!) scaling to keep the identify ranges in line with real life data.

+1

As I said its tough with the way shaders change right now, but ED knows how important this issue is.

Thanks for this info, SithSpawn!

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

• ED Team

Hey guys, small update with Wags blessing. I have been looking and comparing our internal testing version with current release and the transition from dot to LOD is very much improved, spotting, and maintaining a visual lock on the target is much better. This will trickle down to the release version later, but I wanted to let you know its getting attention and improving.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hey guys, small update with Wags blessing. I have been looking and comparing our internal testing version with current release and the transition from dot to LOD is very much improved, spotting, and maintaining a visual lock on the target is much better. This will trickle down to the release version later, but I wanted to let you know its getting attention and improving.

Thanks for the info. It's good to see this is on their radar ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. With the Normandy map, B-17 and all, it would be nice to see a mature version.

The other day I got online again, so I might get hooked. To know that they consider these things and are working on spotting, damage model, a new P-51 version, etc, is good news.

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

Can I ask that when this change is applied, it is mentioned in the patch notes? There have been multiple dramatic changes to visibility (such as the removal of impostors) that were never mentioned in any official channels.

Good news SiThSpAwn !

<cough> next patch! <cough>

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Good news! To be honest, I really wasn't expecting anything until 2.5, or 2.1 (Normandy) at the earliest so any earlier improvements along the way would really be a nice surprise and very welcome! :thumbup:

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hey guys, small update with Wags blessing. I have been looking and comparing our internal testing version with current release and the transition from dot to LOD is very much improved, spotting, and maintaining a visual lock on the target is much better.

Great news. Looking forward to it. Thanks :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Will it go into 2.0 only, or will it be in 1.5 as well?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Thank you. This news lifts the spirits somewhat. The proof will be in the pudding and I look forward to the eating.

Happy landings,

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
spelling.

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Thanks for the good news.

Looking forward to seeing the next update.

Perhaps it would not be needed anymore if the fix worked but I just have finished my video so I uploaded here.

The video is showing results of both ideas what if SmartScaling enabled for DCS, and what if Dot Overlayed to 3D model.

• 2 weeks later...

So right now I'm flying online almost every day and I started to see how spotting really affects 'real life' / multiplayer game play.

In a close turn fight, even against clear skies, the planes are rendered with a very thin / pale layer, almost as a late afternoon shadow. Over terrain they blend easily right in front of your eyes. You need to focus hard to don't lose it. And I have seen others go through the same ordeal -- to reset in mid combat and start looking for me -- and this against only one plane.

From what I see [or don't see -- pun intended :)], a fix for close quarters rendering / spotting is much more important than dots and such. At least we need to see the enemy once we engage in a close turn fight.

I could get used to it, but at the moment [i might change my opinion] I think it is not even healthy for one's eyesight either.

I do hope the situation changes with the updates.

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --