Tobii EyeX

So I got my eyex yesterday. And it works great! Never had TIR, but have a homemade ghetto-TIR I have been using with variable success. It took me about three to four hours to get the eyex to work, because apparently there is next to no support for ASMedia XHCI controllers. I would recommend anyone thinking to get this to check if their USB3.0-ports are compatible with the eyex hardware.

As for the experience of using it while playing DCS:World. A Vjoy virtual joystick is registering where on the screen you are looking and sends the inputs to DCS. Only four planes is supported out of the box. Without checking, I would think it's an easy job to add new ones using the same Vjoy-settings.

The eye-tracking itself really do work when it works. And the ability to follow a target with your eyes as you fly by felt really natural. The newest software has options to toggle on/of the device, push to enable, push to disable and re-center.

It does take some getting used to, and I do see some limitations compared to TIR, but I do also see some possibilities the TIR does not have, and never will. In the beginning I was moving my head around to make the eyex try to pick up my inputs, but i quickly got used to it. And unlike TIR, you do not have to sit there straight as a log. You can move around a little, and the eyex will still be able to see where you see.

If you are a fan of FUTURETECH and want to try something amazing, I would really recommend it. With the 30% discount going around its absolutely worth it. If you are not sure what USB-drivers you are running, don't like to fiddle around to get things to work, I would wait a little longer.

I don't think it will be like: look at the button and it's centered.

That works fine as long as you have your buttons onscreen. If not, you have to increase your factor eye movement to your field of view. So you may check six by looking at the far left edge of your screen. But then you can only fix your target with your peripheral sight, because as soon as you look at it, your field of view changes as well.

Even in this video the tester had to move all important information into the center of his screen.

Looking forward to some hands-on-reviews for flightsims.

It does not work exactly like TIR in the way that moving your eyes to the far left/right always makes your view go X degrees left/right. The software translates your eye-position into a input much like the numpad. You choose how fast this happens, how much of a deadzone you want in the middle. If you look at a button, and your eyes follow said button, you will end up with the button in the middle of the screen.

EDIT:

But when you do look on, say your keyboard, the view goes bonkers. Know where your keys are and use a HOTAS!

Edited by Talimere

Thanks very much for that info - a real help!

If you could find the time to upload a video, it would be even better - but I understand if not ;)

I'm getting a USB3.0 PCI-express card on my way home from work today. I expect it should work as intended when I install this. After this is in order, I'll upload a quick video to show how it's actually following my eyes.

It does not work exactly like TIR in the way that moving your eyes to the far left/right always makes your view go X degrees left/right. The software translates your eye-position into a input much like the numpad. You choose how fast this happens, how much of a deadzone you want in the middle. If you look at a button, and your eyes follow said button, you will end up with the button in the middle of the screen.

EDIT:

But when you do look on, say your keyboard, the view goes bonkers. Know where your keys are and use a HOTAS!

Now, that's even worse :-(

There is no chance to keep your target focused in a dogfight.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I'm getting a USB3.0 PCI-express card on my way home from work today. I expect it should work as intended when I install this. After this is in order, I'll upload a quick video to show how it's actually following my eyes.

That's great - thanks again :thumbup:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

So I got my eyex yesterday. And it works great! Never had TIR, but have a homemade ghetto-TIR I have been using with variable success. It took me about three to four hours to get the eyex to work, because apparently there is next to no support for ASMedia XHCI controllers. I would recommend anyone thinking to get this to check if their USB3.0-ports are compatible with the eyex hardware.

As for the experience of using it while playing DCS:World. A Vjoy virtual joystick is registering where on the screen you are looking and sends the inputs to DCS. Only four planes is supported out of the box. Without checking, I would think it's an easy job to add new ones using the same Vjoy-settings.

The eye-tracking itself really do work when it works. And the ability to follow a target with your eyes as you fly by felt really natural. The newest software has options to toggle on/of the device, push to enable, push to disable and re-center.

It does take some getting used to, and I do see some limitations compared to TIR, but I do also see some possibilities the TIR does not have, and never will. In the beginning I was moving my head around to make the eyex try to pick up my inputs, but i quickly got used to it. And unlike TIR, you do not have to sit there straight as a log. You can move around a little, and the eyex will still be able to see where you see.

If you are a fan of FUTURETECH and want to try something amazing, I would really recommend it. With the 30% discount going around its absolutely worth it. If you are not sure what USB-drivers you are running, don't like to fiddle around to get things to work, I would wait a little longer.

You joined the forum to spread the word- right now hm?

I am really really sorry, if iam wrong on you now, but please try to upload a video of DCS to show us how it works...

I deeply believe it wont work as some here expecting it..

I think it could be an alternative for a 1st Person Shooter or similar, but not on flightsims... its very anoying that no video for Flightsims (FSX, DCS, ROF,... -not Arma 3 inflight) exists in the internet...

ASUS Rog Strix Z390-E // Intel® Core i7-9700k // GeForce RTX 2080ti // 32GB DDR4 Corsair // Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Here we go, hopefully this might answer some of the previous questions!

Like I say in the video, there are some issues with the hardware, and there are some things it just doesnt seem good with. But I think that is just a software maturity thing and will eventually be a good product!

Hope its useful!

• Like 1

I never want to miss TiR5 Pro in a dogfight again, it's an almost unfair advantage if it wouldnt be available for sell to everyone.

I am seeing the point in this new device but personally, I think it's not as usuable as TIR in a dogfight or other harsh situation where you cannot tolerate misbehaviour of gaming devices.

will watch the video later today after dinner.... not that I am not open for new stuff LoL

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I tend to agree, the issue of looking to the rear of the aircraft with the way the software works right now equals death.

TrackIR's advantage here is once you have the muscle memory of positioning your head in a certain spot, the camera moves to that position. With the eye tracking, its exactly that, you have to "track" to the rear of the aircraft.

But again, I personally think this is a software issue. Once the product has some maturity and development, I am sure someone will come up with a solution.

For arguments sake ill post the video of furball combat, but again it really just shows its strengths and weaknesses. Its great for a view point 60 degrees either side of the nose. But looking behind the wings is just awkward.

Very good review video for DCSW, thanks for taking the time.

I do have two questions:

1 - Did you try using it at the same time as TrackIR - pausing one when using the other? I ask because I am thinking EyeX would be good for start-up etc and once taken off, switching to TrackIR.

I read on their forum that they recommend not having the freeware tracking utils (FreeTrackNoir and FaceTrack) running, but that is because EyeX uses the same software, I believe (at least for ArmA 3).

2 - do you notice the 3 lasers on the bar at the bottom of the screen? I have seen YT videos where they look pretty bright and/or flashing, too - but that may have just been because of the camera.

Thanks, I really feel like buying this - even if I only use it in ArmA 3 for now - I don't get on with TrackIR in ArmA, never have.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

So a combo of track ir and tobii would solve all those issues but would cancel each other or worse conflict in some instances

I wonder how well it would work with my triple screen setup.

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

I have triple screen, too, but tbh it does not concern me. I very rarely look at the left or right screens (due to the stretch they have, which can be misleading about distances) - they are just about an immersive view.

Kneeboard Guides

Ok - I just took a punt and bought it. Didn't work out cheap, though, at £102.

That's about what I paid for my TrackIR4 Pro several years ago.

I'm trusting that this will just get better (and I'll use it with many games) as time goes on - and hoping that they keep improving the software for this, rather than suddenly coming out with a "new, improved EyeX Mk.II"

You should ask for commission!

Kneeboard Guides

Very good review video for DCSW, thanks for taking the time.

I do have two questions:

1 - Did you try using it at the same time as TrackIR - pausing one when using the other? I ask because I am thinking EyeX would be good for start-up etc and once taken off, switching to TrackIR.

I read on their forum that they recommend not having the freeware tracking utils (FreeTrackNoir and FaceTrack) running, but that is because EyeX uses the same software, I believe (at least for ArmA 3).

2 - do you notice the 3 lasers on the bar at the bottom of the screen? I have seen YT videos where they look pretty bright and/or flashing, too - but that may have just been because of the camera.

Thanks, I really feel like buying this - even if I only use it in ArmA 3 for now - I don't get on with TrackIR in ArmA, never have.

1. I dont have TrackIR with me here in Canada, however I believe there would be a conflict within DCS with axis assignments. Also, I cant help but think having both would feel like being inside a washing machine. If you became uncoordinated with TrackIR/EyeX I would probably just eject to make it stop :megalol:

2. Do I notice them? Yes, are they obtrusive? No. At night or in a dark room they can be a little bright, however in a dark room (ie no lights on middle of the night type thing) the eyeX seems to loose some quality but is still very usable.

I dont get on with TrackIR myself. It is functional and I can use it to good effect, but in a flight sim its just not realistic or natural. I dont like the disconnect between where your head is pointing and where your eyes are (with TrackIR). FOr me its more natural to track a target/object with my eyes.

Also Ill point out, that with the eyeX your head does NOT need to stay perfectly still. I can turn my head, have a beer, what ever. As long as I am looking at a target/object on the screen.

I mean, Im not advocating drinking and flying.....But then again drinking IS a favorite past time of pilots.

Here Brix

That shows the intensity of the red lights, I have my PC tower beside the monitor and its less bright than it. You cant get away from there are 3 red lights at the bottom of your screen, but I ahve not found them to be annoying. You just know they are there.

mq8uTza.jpg

Ill pass on the commission but thanks for the appreciation!

Its interesting how the company has wanted to spread itself, where it seemingly has a profit share arrangement with youtubers that provide reviews. But what this seems to have done is stifle any criticism from the reviewers. If they criticize the product, no one will buy it using their "codes" and they dont make money.

I dont want to believe that they as a company did that intentionally as a plan, just what naturally happened from the reviewers seeing an opportunity to make some money.

Id prefer to keep my critical opinions my own and not effected if someone was paying me or not.

Indeed. I did however use a code from the only reviewer who seemed to be trying to be honest about it (jester814) who also has been trying to help people with problems.

I didn't mean having TrackIR and EyeX active at the same time! Lordy, that would cause some nausea!

I meant whether the two actual programs would interfere with one another. Well they said I should have it in about a month, so I'll see then and report back.

Thanks for the lamp info - the base of my centre monitor is quite high, hence my concern.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Thanks for that. Funny Zakatak mentioning IL-2 BoS as I was thinking it seems very remiscent of TrackIR control in IL-2 FB when I was watching your previous video, as far as the restrictions go.

One of the reviewers I watched mentioned it taking a while to get used to both TrackIR and EyeX, but I have to say, unlike yourself, I took to TrackIR straight away and there was no learning curve or suchlike for me - it worked great and exactly as it should right from the off, in my case, and I was very comfortable using it.

I'm thinking EyeX might actually require a learning period, though - just to get used to it's foibles and restrictions. That's okay, though, I don't regeret ordering - far from it.

Kneeboard Guides

Ok, I've asked this earlier in the thread and in Reddit but couldn't get a proper answer.

Has anyone tried to use this together with the TrackIR? No, it won't be like the inside of the washing machine, because, 1) EyeX should be used as mouse emulation only, 2) that's not how headtracking works anyway...

You'd be using the EyeX as a mouse pointer only, to click on switches.

I'll give you an answer when my EyeX is delivered and set-up/working as that is what I want to try. Not together, active at the same time - but pausing one to use the other in-sim.

I think NightRush is not a big fan of TrackIR, but also doesn't have one with him.

I'll also do some videos to show how I get on.

Kneeboard Guides