Tobii EyeX

Here we go, hopefully this might answer some of the previous questions!

Like I say in the video, there are some issues with the hardware, and there are some things it just doesnt seem good with. But I think that is just a software maturity thing and will eventually be a good product!

Hope its useful!

Thank you for your good reviews on that device- my suggestion- make more videos of that kind, you speak well and interesting to get some listeners for sure. :thumbup:

I am really impressed by this device now, wouldn´t have expect such a performance ingame...

Maybe in the future it will evolve to be a better device than trackir..

My apologies to these guys who felt offended by my early post!!:blush::ermm::yes:

Edited by Kobradelta1000

ASUS Rog Strix Z390-E // Intel® Core i7-9700k // GeForce RTX 2080ti // 32GB DDR4 Corsair // Windows 10 Home 64-bit

You can not use EyeX outside of Windows 10 as a clicking device, the software does not allow it. That might change, but right now the ONLY program that supports "clicking" with the EyeX is Windows 10.

Personally if this happens it will be amazing. The possibilities here are endless, and I dont think the technology for it is far away. I mean the Oculus is working on that exact thing right now. Why this is great not just for consumers, but people with disabilities can fully control a computer with just their eyes. Now that is really exciting.

Edited by NightRush

You can not use EyeX outside of Windows 10 as a clicking device, the software does not allow it. That might change, but right now the ONLY program that supports "clicking" with the EyeX is Windows 10.

Personally if this happens it will be amazing. The possibilities here are endless, and I dont think the technology for it is far away. I mean the Oculus is working on that exact thing right now. Why this is great not just for consumers, but people with disabilities can fully control a computer with just their eyes. Now that is really exciting.

Ah, ok, thank you. It's weird that they've build their software this way though. Freetrack and Opentrack can be used as a mouse in desktop and in programs.

Maybe a program/game could be coded to support it as a mouse?

Edit: Btw, have you tried this?

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by remon

It's a bit of a shame for those of us that don't want Windows 10, but I can do without the clicking part.

In fact, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with such a function, tbh.

Luckily, I still have pretty much full use of my arms and hands (unlike my legs).

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Just a dumb question:

If you wear glasses, like I will have to soon, will it still work then or does it need direct sight to your eyes ??

Voiding glasses would be a real sales stopper, wouldnt it ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Ah, ok, thank you. It's weird that they've build their software this way though. Freetrack and Opentrack can be used as a mouse in desktop and in programs.

Maybe a program/game could be coded to support it as a mouse?

Edit: Btw, have you tried this?

I have not! Thanks for the heads up, Ill have a look into it and a play around! Thank you

Just a dumb question:

If you wear glasses, like I will have to soon, will it still work then or does it need direct sight to your eyes ??

Voiding glasses would be a real sales stopper, wouldnt it ?

In the comments section for one of the YT vids, a guy from Tobii says it will definitely work with specs and even sunglasses.:geek:

But I don't think it would work for... :pirate:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Hey everyone!

After a few requests here is another follow up video! This video has an overlay showing exactly where I am looking on the screen. I think this will help with a lot of the questions and core concept of how the eye tracking movement coincides with eye movement.

Anyway hope this is helpful!

Mine arrived yesterday. It took me a long time to get it set up, as it didn't like my specs. The strange thing is that, although calibration was difficult, when I tried it in ArmA 3, it worked perfectly. Now and then you have to think about it, but most of the time it was great - didn't even get killed and found aiming very precise.

By that time of night, my eyes were getting tired from the many calibration attempts, so I haven't yet got around to testing it in any flight sims. Hope to do that today.

I am actually thinking of using this on my second PC and using TrackIR on my main simming PC, so I don't have to keep swapping around - handy that they put two sticky metal strips in the box, as switching the eye tracker unit between the two monitors is very easy, though.

My main concern is that the Infinite Screen GUI is cut off - the window it appears in is too small for the GUI - so I can't change any of the settings.

Kneeboard Guides

I wear glasses too and find it good in DCS and ArmA but as above a bit temperamental when calibrating. I noticed an improvement when wearing larger rimmed glasses. Still playing with settings in the infinite extensions screen to fine tune it. Its really nice not to have to turn your head and strain your eyes in the opposite direction like TIR . Software needs maturing but is functional. Although, is anyone else having problems with the extensions software not remembering game locations and sensitivity settings between reboots?

It seems to handle the 40" UHD monitor ok as well......maybe a bit stretched to its limits on the far edges ( probably the sensor FOV and the specs) but rarely need to look that far in one glance anyway.

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Yes. i too found a big improvement when wearing larger lensed specs. the only issue there is that my large-rimmed glasses are a really old pair, and my sight has changed and been adjusted since, with my newer, small, specs, which don't work as well.

The really great news is that I have just been using EyeX in the A-10C with my triple-screen set-up and it works very well (lens issues aside).

To record that, I will have to use my camera, as recording software can't do 3 screens at a sensible resolution, but believe me - it works.

I have three 22" screens at 1920x1080 each, with a DCSW res of 5892x1080.

It's just the fact that I can't get into those settings that is so frustrating, because the view movement isn't sharp enough for my tastes - takes a second or two to get from looking front to looking rear. If I can get that sorted, I'll be very pleased.

ps000008_zpsufxmj8ha.jpg

EDIT: That's really weird - I can actually see more of the GUI on my triple-screen desktop than on a single screen! Now, at least I can set two hotkeys!

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Hey everyone!

After a few requests here is another follow up video! This video has an overlay showing exactly where I am looking on the screen. I think this will help with a lot of the questions and core concept of how the eye tracking movement coincides with eye movement.

As I commented on your newer video on the Iris software, ED should implement an option for the pointer to stick on the switches, like Falcon does.

the Infinite Screen issue has been sorted (partially at least) with help from Tobii support.

I can make the UI full screen, which allows me to access all the settings.

Kneeboard Guides

@Brixmis. I am going to order a pair of these large rimless glasses from Zenni http://www.zennioptical.com/364514-aluminum-alloy-rimless-frame.html I think the rims might be causing minor interference. I use them for all my glasses now and are a third the price of specsavers here in Oz.

Edited by Macka
Speeling

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Wow! Joe90 calling.... :D

No, just kidding :)

I am due an eye test in a month or so, and I am planning to get some with larger lenses just for this. In fact, I might pick up two pair - one Joe90 (or Elton John, if ya like) and one pair that I can wear in public!

Interestingly, since the calibration problems with the smaller lenses, I've had few issues in-sim at night (i.e. with artificial light) but I am having some issues in daylight.

Here is a vid of the settings box issue and solution:

https://youtu.be/L0cWkMJ_g8k

Kneeboard Guides

• 1 month later...

Although I have been impressed with it, I am now selling mine. I do have an eye problem (with the muscles in my eyes), but hoped it would not be affected, but it is. So there ya go.

Bring on VR :D

Kneeboard Guides

• 2 months later...

Does this product just "work" with DCS or do you have to do a work around?

If it does not just "work" is DCS or Tobii planning on making it so in the future?

What kind of lag do you have with this hardware/software.

I am think I may get this depending on the answers to these questions.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Combined eyex and trackIR input? Does that work? i.e. Headtracker for gross movement, eye tracker for fine movement.

I like the current head tracking setup I have, but one of the minor frustrations I experience is the relatively large & slow head movements required to glance at gauges. In real life you don't move your entire head to glance at a gauge and it's a bit of an immersion breaker for me.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use eyex in conjunction with a trackIR type head tracker? That way I can move my head to look around the cockpit and use my eyes to quickly glance at gauges etc.

No it doesn't. It was totally messed up when I tried it. I did post a video on YT of a test, but think I deleted it since.

Basically, your view will go in directions you don't want it to. Mine was continually going to my lap (in the cockpit) regardless of where I was looking. This was the reason I stopped using EyeX, as I had wanted to use them both together the same way you want to.

This happened, even if TrackIR wasn't enabled, but I was wearing the clip or track hat. The reflectors/LEDs had to be removed for normal EyeX operation.

Kneeboard Guides